Troy Aikmans take is telling

stinkface

Reaction score
The true downfall of the Cowboys was the salary cap. Jerry would have found the players and paid them whatever was required if its wasn't for the salary cap.

stinkface

Reaction score
Nothing was as bad as Chad Hutchison singing and playing the guitar. Part of me died that day I saw it on Hard Knocks.

I went to training camp his rookie year. I had never seen a player throw a ball so hard and so inaccurately in my life. Had a monster arm, but wow, it was like "Wild Thing" in Major League.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Aikman no longer had a decent OL. Hence the multiple concussions. That poor OL had to do with Jerry and salary cap I believe.
He also played on hard AstroTurf in a time when QBs weren’t protected. Defenders could still take 2 steps and still pummel the QB. Now you can’t touch the QBs head, you can’t go too low, you can’t land on them, It’s iffy to hit them near the sidelines or when they first slide depending upon how trigger happy the ref is.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Just watched "A Football Life, Troy Aikman"

I find it interesting that after Jimmy left he had to be the heavy with his teammates. There was no accountability on the team anymore. He feels they should have won way more.

He said he didn't leave because of the injuries, it was because of the organization.

In the last few weeks of the season, Troy seemed to be particularly annoyed with the Cowboy organization and expressed an honest opinion on Jerry Jones.

Interesting, considering the **** show we have been watching.

he couldn’t play QB anymore.

the 96-99 teams struggled to score TDS.

go watch the 98 playoff loss to the Cards.

Aikman was terrible.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Troy was going to decline no matter what. His play was part of the problem after the 95 season. He had about 5 elite seasons in the NFL before he fell off a cliff.

What happened to Aikman more than anything is the team around him started to tail off. Especially the Oline. Once Aikman started getting pressure and he didn't have the big run game to lien on he was toast. Then the coaching problems crept in.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When any team has an intense HC like Jimmy Johnson, it is only human nature that they swing the other way when he's replaced by a HC that believes these players are adult men and do not need a tight reins.

I don't know what kind of HC Gailey was but he came from a pretty intense environment with Cowher and he probably tried to gain some control but the inmates had already taken over control and just got worse when he was fired and Campo promoted. Remember how much all the players loved Dave Campo? Loved him right out of a job. And the Joneses loved him so much they forced all of the other coaches on him.

Steve Young was vocal at the half last night about how Booger must back out and let the HC run the team. That makes Aikman, Bradshaw and Young, 3 HOF QB's that know the importance of the HC and the team. But maybe he's starting to get it?

Maybe, just maybe, Booger is getting the message because they're interviewing McCarthy and Lewis and these HC's aren't some college coach like Riley that could be handled. Both of these coaches have something to prove and not having control of their own team won't cut it. I think the fact that they're interviewing those two is a good sign that Booger might be considering what the real problem is.

I believe the reason that Garrett has lasted this long isn't just that he's family. The Joneses have been so involved that they really couldn't hold him accountable for the team. If that doesn't change, the results do not change.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Troy's take was more telling in his interview on The Ticket last week.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, Troy wanted us to trade up and take Gonzo.
Posters forget that. He picked LaFleur out of default. And he was a hell of a lot better at LSU than he ever was for Aikman. Booger wasn't trading up for a TE, Aikman was lucky he even agreed to pick one in the 1st. Booger was still all about the triplets and never considered the offense without Novacek or a guy like him.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Posters forget that. He picked LaFleur out of default. And he was a hell of a lot better at LSU than he ever was for Aikman. Booger wasn't trading up for a TE, Aikman was lucky he even agreed to pick one in the 1st. Booger was still all about the triplets and never considered the offense without Novacek or a guy like him.

Yeah man, both the 1997 and 1998 drafts were tough pills to swallow. Think of the rebirth we would have had with Gonzo and Randy Moss on our team. Troy and Mike's careers might have been extended as well.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Aikman no longer had a decent OL. Hence the multiple concussions. That poor OL had to do with Jerry and salary cap I believe.

Aikman needed everything around him to be perfect and he already had injury issues before the O-like declined.

Dude was a couple concussions away from getting his food through a straw

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Jerry became a billionaire through hard work and a little luck.

Not because he’s a smart man.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Aikman may have gotten another Super Bowl ring had Jerry drafted Randy Moss. That was a huge miss....

DuncanIso

Reaction score
What happened to Aikman more than anything is the team around him started to tail off. Especially the Oline. Once Aikman started getting pressure and he didn't have the big run game to lien on he was toast. Then the coaching problems crept in.

The defense was still strong.

We couldn’t score enough passing TDs.

Even Chan couldn’t fix Aikman.

blueblood70

Reaction score
you guys are living in the past lettings an ex-player whos now in the media whos been anti-cowboy ie jaded since he got the tv gig blind you while you are vulnerable..

Aikman's stayed years to long, see whats happening to Brady right now, Aikman was 3 year into his decline with injuries.. his numbers in the regular season even in his hey day were pedestrian, he shined in the playoffs but his career numbers on there own would not got him into the HOF, the team SBS carried a lot of those players in....the 1996 sb year he had 12 tds and 12 ints...3 more very avg to below avg years.

Todays nfl with all the saturation of SM, Sports programs, and forum like this that would have ate him for lunch..hes in the Lee/witten argument , past his prime he was where Romo was etc etc and his poor play would have made him a big target today..

the dude was finished and now like ES who makes a lot pof false claims on how holdouts went and how things were different is all just bad memory..

Jimmy allowed this team to have many issues that were found out like the white house and others that he did not LEAD he did not sit those HOF players and many that TMZ would have dug up that never surfaces..

those years were great for fans but acting as if they and it all perfect was stupid..todays NFL with all the new rules, cba, FAs, the practice rules and no hitting etc etc, trades within the conference and media etc etc Jimmy or Aikman would not have as much success as one thinks
Aikman was finished long before he quit..lmao at he would have stayed longer but couldn't take the Circus anymore...laughing out loud..he was done..