Troy Aikmans take is telling

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Bingo. Concussions and the Jerry Circus didn't help, but the back was the nail in the coffin. I remember him mentioning it in his press conference when retiring.

Aikman was too much of a class act to bring up the Jerry stuff in his press conference, but I still think he would have played on if the back hadn't given up.

More than the coaching circus, what frustrates me the most about what Jerry did to winners like Aikman was the poor drafting.

If Aikman had stayed healthy, I imagine he would have enjoyed the same rebirth as Randall Cunningham if we had been smart enough to draft Randy Moss and some other gimmes.

Someone posted here that Aikman was all for Tony Gonzalez but the it was Jerry World that settled on David Lafleur, although Aikman gets blamed for the Lafleur pick. Just those two guys alone - Moss and Gonzo - would have given him some extra life as long as we could protect him.
The Cowboys had no shot at Gonzalez. He went before the Cowboys pick.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yup, we really took a nose dive after 1999. When Irvin went down it was over. We didn't recover until Tina came to town

Yup, this team was in a steady decline since '96 (or '93 if you ask Aikman) and it didn't stop until Parcells came in. He decided to leave as the team Peaked in 2007 and Dallas has yet to get back to that level. So the way I look at it, Dallas has only bounced back and done well with solid head coaches.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Don't forget DeMarcus Ware

And honestly there are some current players you could probably add. Tyron Smith.

Probably could even put a guy like Flozell on that list. We've been fortunate to have really good Left Tackles for a good portion of the 2000's with not much to show for it
And Jerry comes out and says his big regret was not getting Tony a ring yet he stubbornly refuses to change. A lot of great and good players have been wasted this century because of Jerry Jones.

75boyz

Reaction score
When Jimmy left the coaches on the team were Michael Irvin, Aikman, Woodson. The stars of the team took over but most of the brunt of the leadership fell on Aikman. When Aikman retired we have not had a coach until Parcells came, then once Parcells left we have not had a coach. The problem is 2 fold. Jerry won't hire a coach he can't control. The other problem is Emmitt, Irvin, Woodson, Aikman, etc. were special players and special people that wanted to win so so badly they didn't care about having the extra responsibility of being the unnamed coaches. They just wanted to win at all costs. The players we get want to be famous, look pretty, and if they win great, if not then at least they looked good losing. Our players accept mediocrity from themselves and each other and they don't have a coach, or an owner, that pushes them. That's the main difference between now and 94-99. Aikman and company simply would not lose they just ran out of time to win. Our players come to play on sundays like it's a job, they punch in for the game, do their job and go home and get on IG and Twitter for attention. Those 90's players wanted to win, they didn't care about anything else.

Hall of Fame level post here brother. Outstanding summary.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yep. Thank goodness for the O'Donnell brain farts.

Yeah, I think all Cowboys fans kind of saw the writing on the wall. Once Green Bay kind of got lucky and beat the 49ers in the playoffs, I knew the Cowboys were going back. Because I had no confidence what so ever that the Cowboys could beat the 49ers in the playoffs. Dallas was 0-3 against the 49ers since Jimmy left with the most recent loss in the regular season of '95 38-20 at home against an Elvis Grbac led 49ers team. Embarrassing.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Troy was going to decline no matter what. His play was part of the problem after the 95 season. He had about 5 elite seasons in the NFL before he fell off a cliff.

Having studs like Wane McGarrity Billy Davis and Stepfret Williams had nothing to do with that.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Can’t wait until we get another leader like Troy behind center. We have been trying to get by with scraps.
Jerry will never allow a QB to undermine his authority....he likes his undrafted/low round QBs that he can keep under his thumb.

khiladi

Reaction score
lol Troy was getting concussions from the water coming out of the shower by the time he retired.

Romo was saying his body was fine too. First hit he took he was gone.

Wrong.. doctors cleared Romo to play..

Aikman when he retired with his back injury said he wanted to play BUT he couldn’t do it anymore. And he was WAIVED by the Cowboys in 2001, then he retired. Aikman was a mess and got two concussions in 8 days in 1999 and a total of seven in his career. This was at the same time doctors were telling Steve Young to retire based on lingering effects of concussions.

Romo and his situation were completely different.

https://sports.jrank.org/pages/49/Aikman-Troy-Retires-from-Pro-Football.html

Last edited:

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Troy didn’t leave because of injuries? Not the way I remember it watching the last year or two of his career.