Twitter: Trysten Hill appealing suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustChip

Reaction score
I think this one is prime for a reduction to one game. To show how fair and reasonable the league is.
I’m not sure even 1 game is warranted. Not because what he did wasn’t wrong to that level or because he apologized, but because they established a precedence with Toney. The League has to make a very compelling case for why this incident is on a different level than Toney’s. Maybe they can, but they need to be consistent now and going forward. But consistency is not in the League’s wheelhouse.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't remember many reductions either, you?

2021 - well, we know about Lael Collins' appeal process " could have been 'reduced' ..and how it was botched from going from 5 games to 2 games

2019- Steelers center Maurice Pouncy had his suspension lessened from three games to two. per Myle Garrett helmet incident vs QB Rudolph

2010 Ben Rolisberger - reduced from 6 games to 4 games

2013- Buccaneers safety Dashon Goldson had a one game
appealed down to a $100,000 fine and Brandon Meriweather had his two game reduced to one game. on appeal in October.

2014 -Adrian Peterson was also suspended indefinitely by Goodell for an off field incident in 2014, and his case, too was overruled in court, leading to his reinstatement in April.

2014 - Detroit Lions star Ndamukong Suh was set to be suspended for his team’s Wild Card round playoff game for stepping on the ankle of Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers in Week 17, but that suspension was appealed to a $70,000 fine.

- 2013 - CB Brandon Browner was initially suspended indefinitely in December 2013 for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. He was reinstated on March 4 and settled with the league on a four-game suspension, served at the start of the 2014 regular season,… after he threatened to sue the league.

- 2011 the late Cedric Benson was suspended three games under the league's personal conduct policy for his misdemeanor assault cases. He appealed, saying that he wasn’t on a team when his latest arrest occurred, and the other arrest happened during the NFL lockout. The league rejected the claims ……but reduced his suspension to one game.

morat1959

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. Did something happen during the game? Did Hill wait until after the game to retaliate to avoid a penalty and getting kicked out of the game? Hill needs a sit down with an anger management therapist.
He needs a real job.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not sure even 1 game is warranted. Not because what he did wasn’t wrong to that level or because he apologized, but because they established a precedence with Toney. The League has to make a very compelling case for why this incident is on a different level than Toney’s. Maybe they can, but they need to be consistent now and going forward. But consistency is not in the League’s wheelhouse.

One word - premeditation.

Hill waited until after the game and planned his attack.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
He should have been cut immediately after this unwarranted attack that took place AFTER the game. You got punched in the mouth during the game by the Raiders and then after the game you want to act all tuff and throw a haymaker at an unsuspecting player. Cut or Release, send a message to these over hyped, over paid, underachievers....................

CWR

Reaction score
Lol ok, but it's not changing anything.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
So you can punch our players and choke them out on a sideline and as long as it happens before the end of the game, it is cool with the league. So we use their rules. Next time punch them before the clock runs out.

If he had waited and done it later in the elevator then it would have been 4 games.

JustChip

Reaction score
One word - premeditation.

Hill waited until after the game and planned his attack.
Seeking out was premeditated, but it doesn’t appear to me the punch was. The punch appeared to me to be a reaction to something the Raiders player said. Certainly a case can be made that the punch wouldn’t have happened had he not sought out after the game, kind of a fruit of the poisoned tree in reverse. And that may be enough to warrant suspension.

Just to be clear, I’m not arguing against additional punishment above Toney’s. I’m just saying they need to have a clear reason that fits with past and future consistency. The League has time and again failed in that regard. Case in point: Zeke vs. Rice or Zeke and Rice vs. the Giants kicker.

Mr_437

Reaction score
2021 - well, we know about Lael Collins' appeal process " could have been 'reduced' ..and how it was botched from going from 5 games to 2 games

2019- Steelers center Maurice Pouncy had his suspension lessened from three games to two. per Myle Garrett helmet incident vs QB Rudolph

2010 Ben Rolisberger - reduced from 6 games to 4 games

2013- Buccaneers safety Dashon Goldson had a one game
appealed down to a $100,000 fine and Brandon Meriweather had his two game reduced to one game. on appeal in October.

2014 -Adrian Peterson was also suspended indefinitely by Goodell for an off field incident in 2014, and his case, too was overruled in court, leading to his reinstatement in April.

2014 - Detroit Lions star Ndamukong Suh was set to be suspended for his team’s Wild Card round playoff game for stepping on the ankle of Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers in Week 17, but that suspension was appealed to a $70,000 fine.

- 2013 - CB Brandon Browner was initially suspended indefinitely in December 2013 for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. He was reinstated on March 4 and settled with the league on a four-game suspension, served at the start of the 2014 regular season,… after he threatened to sue the league.

- 2011 the late Cedric Benson was suspended three games under the league's personal conduct policy for his misdemeanor assault cases. He appealed, saying that he wasn’t on a team when his latest arrest occurred, and the other arrest happened during the NFL lockout. The league rejected the claims ……but reduced his suspension to one game.
I don't see anything similar to Hill's situation except maybe Pouncey n Suh in a way, but I think Hill's actions was over the top for Goodell to reduce.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seeking out was premeditated, but it doesn’t appear to me the punch was. The punch appeared to me to be a reaction to something the Raiders player said. Certainly a case can be made that the punch wouldn’t have happened had he not sought out after the game, kind of a fruit of the poisoned tree in reverse. And that may be enough to warrant suspension.

Just to be clear, I’m not arguing against additional punishment above Toney’s. I’m just saying they need to have a clear reason that fits with past and future consistency. The League has time and again failed in that regard. Case in point: Zeke vs. Rice or Zeke and Rice vs. the Giants kicker.

I hear ya. But in reading the statement from the league and Runyan, I think it mentioned the fact that it was planned and thought out and I feel that was the difference.

Creeper

Reaction score

I accept the premeditation argument, although I still think it warrants 1 game not 2. It may have been premeditated but that, to me, is a thin line over just punching a guy during the game. I am sure Hill was just as emotional when he threw that punch as Toney was. And we don't know the Hill punch was premeditated even if the meeting might have been. If Hill had words and even went chest to chest with the Raiders player but threw no punch after the game there would be no punishment or suspension.

Hill is an idiot for throwing a punch and deserves punishment. But as some of us keep saying, if Hill gets 2 games and Toney gets 0, just because Kazee ducked the punch thrown by Toney, that seems very unfair.

And while we are at it, Kelvin Joseph was kicked out the game for not throwing any punches and just defending himself as he was dragged and thrown out of bounds way after the play was over. The Raiders player was clearly the aggressor and the most violent. That should have been an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the Raiders and neither player should have been ejected. Joseph got the same penalty as Toney for not even throwing a punch. All we are asking for is consistency.

And to me, it is doesn't matter if it was Trysten Hill, Kelvin Joseph or Amari Cooper. It is the Cowboys team that we want treated fairly. Just because some people don't like the Trysten Hill draft pick does not make the league's unfairness any less egregious.

The league treated Dallas unfairly when they punished them for violating the salary cap. They treated them unfairly with the Zeke situation. They are treating CeeDee Lamb unfairly with all those fines. And they are treating Kelvin Joseph and Tyrsten Hill unfairly with the ejections and suspensions. I would argue giving La'el Collins 5 games was also unfair considering what the league guidelines are. And leaking that story about Collins bribing the league official was also typical NFL front office BS.

If the NFL was consistent Toney would have gotten at least 1 game and Hill would get the same.

nobody

Reaction score
I accept the premeditation argument, although I still think it warrants 1 game not 2. It may have been premeditated but that, to me, is a thin line over just punching a guy during the game. I am sure Hill was just as emotional when he threw that punch as Toney was. And we don't know the Hill punch was premeditated even if the meeting might have been. If Hill had words and even went chest to chest with the Raiders player but threw no punch after the game there would be no punishment or suspension.

Hill is an idiot for throwing a punch and deserves punishment. But as some of us keep saying, if Hill gets 2 games and Toney gets 0, just because Kazee ducked the punch thrown by Toney, that seems very unfair.

And while we are at it, Kelvin Joseph was kicked out the game for not throwing any punches and just defending himself as he was dragged and thrown out of bounds way after the play was over. The Raiders player was clearly the aggressor and the most violent. That should have been an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the Raiders and neither player should have been ejected. Joseph got the same penalty as Toney for not even throwing a punch. All we are asking for is consistency.

And to me, it is doesn't matter if it was Trysten Hill, Kelvin Joseph or Amari Cooper. It is the Cowboys team that we want treated fairly. Just because some people don't like the Trysten Hill draft pick does not make the league's unfairness any less egregious.

The league treated Dallas unfairly when they punished them for violating the salary cap. They treated them unfairly with the Zeke situation. They are treating CeeDee Lamb unfairly with all those fines. And they are treating Kelvin Joseph and Tyrsten Hill unfairly with the ejections and suspensions. I would argue giving La'el Collins 5 games was also unfair considering what the league guidelines are. And leaking that story about Collins bribing the league official was also typical NFL front office BS.

If the NFL was consistent Toney would have gotten at least 1 game and Hill would get the same.

It's simple. Don't want suspensions? Don't sucker punch a guy.

Jkyle

Reaction score
Now the NFL is unsuspending Hill and making it a fine.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Not really. He hit another player hard enough to knock his helmet off and for what?

He deserves the suspension.
I disagree. Fine him, but unless players get suspended every time they try landing a haymaker, then no. And it's a fact that the officiating is grossly inconsistent.

JustChip

Reaction score
I hear ya. But in reading the statement from the league and Runyan, I think it mentioned the fact that it was planned and thought out and I feel that was the difference.
They did. Now, they have to clearly articulate and justify a 2 game suspension, or even 1 game, vs. a $25k fine (double Toney’s), or $50k, or more. I’m sure he get’s docked a pro-rata portion of his pay for the time suspended. Maybe fine him that amount, or 2x that, but no suspension. A suspension really hurts the team more.

Whatever is decided in the appeal will be based first and foremost in his contrition and, secondly, the case his representative can make for an alternate punishment.

JustChip

Reaction score

Excellent post.

I’ve said it before, but the league officials are humans and subject to personal biases the same as every other human being. The vast majority have been, or still are, Cowboys fans or haters. Those that that are fans probably go too far to the punishment side to avoid looking biased. Those that are haters likewise do as well because hate is a much stronger emotion.

The other thing is these folks ALL have egos and are want to punish anybody that challenges them. Zeke’s level of punishment was, in my opinion, affected negatively by his and Jerry’s fighting them. I get that if one feels they’ve done nothing wrong, the normal response is to fight it. But who has been married for any length of time that hasn’t apologized when they didn’t feel they were wrong for the greater good?

Status
Not open for further replies.