Trysten Hill

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hell no, hell no, hell no, hell no!

'Nelli got pretty fiesty in January when some media started trying to push him towards retirement.

I'm ready for some new as well, but Kris Richard also now has a strong voice on that side of the ball.

And I don't like hearing about Kris' love for big corners, either.

Not finding Jourdan Lewis a regular role on passing downs last season was a mistake.
Marinelli's weird views and Richard's height and length fetish are two big handicaps on this organization's ability to draft good football players.

And it blows my mind since quite honestly, neither one of these two will be around in a couple of years.

Why would you devote future resources to guys who wouldn't be here?

Either leave, the new guy has to deal with their particular hangups and the players they left behind.

Oh yeah, that is what you do when you don't have your own organization constructs and beliefs.

Which honestly has been a problem for a while.

Verdammung

Reaction score
I have a 4-5 on him, so picking him at #58 would be sickening.

He's athletic, he's quick off the snap, and he plays with effort. That's evidently all Marinelli cares about in terms of evaluating defensive line talent.

The problem is I don't think he gets anything out of those traits, because he is super easy to knock over.

Bluefin

Reaction score
That's evidently all Marinelli cares about in terms of evaluating defensive line talent.
I don't doubt Rod Marinelli believes he can get the most out of a raw prospect like this and coach him up like he did with Henry Melton in the Windy City.

And I don't mind letting him try, just not with #58 come Friday night.

There will be much better players available. Even limiting it to DL, find another option with a much higher floor.

And if the team has pre-determined #58 has to be safety or DL, which is absurd given you can never predict who will surprisingly fall, then be prepared to package picks and go get whoever it is you covet.

I don't want to use #90, I'd rather go with either 4 and next year's 5, but do what's necessary to get the guy you feel will make the team better right now.

We've already got Amari Cooper with #27, which is a landslide steal.

If safety is the call in round two, they go get a guy who will relegate Jeff Heath to being a reserve who plays special teams.

Flamma

Reaction score
Lets say Dallas takes a S at 58. Do they then possibly draft Hill at 90 or a TE like Knox if he's available? I'd go with the TE.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Lets say Dallas takes a S at 58. Do they then possibly draft Hill at 90 or a TE like Knox if he's available? I'd go with the TE.
I think it would be Trysten Hill at #90 if he was still there, though it's way too rich for this fan.

It's impossible to tell, but I feel some team will roll the dice on Dawson Know's athleticism and potential upside in round two.

Dallas refused to play the last pass catching TE they drafted because he couldn't block despite using a second round selection on him.

Is this going to change with Kellen Moore now having a voice?

Or is it better to go for a guy who can do both like Drew Sample or Foster Moreau?

I'd hope one of them is there in the fourth, if we feel the need to go TE.

I don't really want to tug on that string with Jason Witten back, it would need to be a case of clear BPA.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think it would be Trysten Hill at #90 if he was still there, though it's way too rich for this fan.

It's impossible to tell, but I feel some team will roll the dice on Dawson Know's athleticism and potential upside in round two.

Dallas refused to play the last pass catching TE they drafted because he couldn't block despite using a second round selection on him.

Is this going to change with Kellen Moore now having a voice?

Or is it better to go for a guy who can do both like Drew Sample or Foster Moreau?

I'd hope one of them is there in the fourth, if we feel the need to go TE.

I don't really want to tug on that string with Jason Witten back, it would need to be a case of clear BPA.

That's pretty much what I meant. Picking a WR or TE that is a 2nd or 3rd round projection that drops to late 3rd round over a S or DL that either isn't or doesn't.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I have a 4-5 on him, so picking him at #58 would be sickening.

He's athletic, he's quick off the snap, and he plays with effort. That's evidently all Marinelli cares about in terms of evaluating defensive line talent.

The problem is I don't think he gets anything out of those traits, because he is super easy to knock over.
Exactly. Hill has all the hustle n effort you could want, but if he can't find the ball...his gps is faulty.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I wouldn't call UCF a small school per se. Same level that gave us Gallup and it seems like 1/4 of our team from Boise.

It seems like we dont like FCS or lower, but the G5, especially Mt. West and the American have done pretty well.

That being said, I would be nervous about Hill at 58. He is definitely a project and I would prefer more of a plug and play at that spot.

I would be very interested in knowing if the Hill love is a Rod thing or a McClay thing.
Agree. UCF is most certainly not “small school”

Bluefin

Reaction score
from Tony Pauline
Trysten Hill/DT/Central Florida: Over the summer, I labeled Hill as the top pro prospect from UCF and stamped him as a potential fourth-round pick. I may have underestimated the defensive tackle by two rounds, as he’s presently getting top-60 buzz. His travel schedule the past three weeks has been extensive, as Hill made trips to visit defensive tackle-needy teams such as the Miami Dolphins, Los Angeles Rams and Cleveland Browns. Where does he end up? Don’t be surprised if the Dallas Cowboys, another team that needs help up front, grab Hill late in Round 2, as the UCF junior is the perfect fit for Rod Marinelli’s defense.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Marinelli's weird views and Richard's height and length fetish are two big handicaps on this organization's ability to draft good football players.

And it blows my mind since quite honestly, neither one of these two will be around in a couple of years.

Why would you devote future resources to guys who wouldn't be here?

Either leave, the new guy has to deal with their particular hangups and the players they left behind.

Oh yeah, that is what you do when you don't have your own organization constructs and beliefs.

Which honestly has been a problem for a while.

I like them as coaches, but I couldn’t agree more about the types of player they want.

- Taller corners are verbally stiffer athletes that struggle with quickness
- The “quick twitch” DTs Rod likes usually don’t know what run defense is

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like them as coaches, but I couldn’t agree more about the types of player they want.

- Taller corners are verbally stiffer athletes that struggle with quickness
- The “quick twitch” DTs Rod likes usually don’t know what run defense is
They also dont realize space eaters have value to a pass rush

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bryan Broaddus thinks Trystan Hill is in serious contention at #58.

Dallas has not selected a player like this with an early pick since Will McClay was put in charge of coordinating the draft in 2014.

Broaddus record of being correct is below 50%...