Trysten vs Taco

Proof

Reaction score
Taco was touted by most analysts as a fringe 1st rounder and has no off the field concerns.

Hills range typically falls in the 3rd/4th, he struggles to anchor and he has character concerns.

I felt way, way better about the Taco pick...even though he hasn’t shown us much post draft.

Yeah I get it. Just considering their particular perspective, not the analysts at large

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Looks like Taco should have his hands full hanging onto his job.
If nothing else, it might hopefully put some pep in his step.:grin:

With Trysten Hill and Joe Jackson to deal with it had best do so.

visionary

Reaction score
no matter what the scheme is , when the rams ran almost 300 yards on the cowboys , you know the problem is the in the defensive line ...

The problem was 1T DT not 3T
Trystan does not solve it
Dremont Jones would have and he was on the board

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
As a registered Taco hater from back in the day, my biggest beef with him that he was an average athlete that never really won in any particular way. He was slow as heck, he wasn't all that strong, he didn't have a good burst off the snap, his hand technique wasn't that great, he was a fairly smooth mover for his size, but overall he checked in as like a 40th percentile NFL athlete whose main selling point was his big frame. You watched his senior year, most of his sacks came on missed blocking assignments. So far, a lot of that stuff I saw on tape back then has translated to the pros.

Trysten Hill is an 88th percentile NFL athlete with monster results in the broad jump and vertical jump, which have proven to be one of the biggest predictors of success for DTs in the big leagues. He matches that with explosion all day on tape. There's a fairly clear path to how he could make it in the league and he has the tools to get there. So while I don't like the pick, I'm not chugging haterade like I was with Charlton.

kskboys

Reaction score
A lot of people have been making the comparison between the circumstances of the pics, but I am looking at it from a slightly more optimistic angle.

The taco vs tj decision came down to scheme, position, and watt's knee injuries. so Taco was almost the default choice because tj had warts (to them).

With trysten, this is their guy. they wanted him, they love him, and when it came down to him or thornhill (who they also loved and is everything they'd want from a safety) they chose this kid. weren't forced to by the board breaking poorly, or their guy getting sniped. the board broke pretty favorably for them, and they confidently made the decision. reminds me more of the lve pick than the taco pick

my two cents

Taco and Hill are pretty much polar opposites as prospects. Small school stud vs big school w/ question marks. There is simply nothing to connect the two. Check your recency bias at the door.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't disagree with that at all. However, look at how many of those run plays went right through the gut.. They used motion to pick us a part. Yes. However, that's only effective if the interior is weak. The Rams offense is just really good. At the end of the day, it was a mixture of our failures to add depth to our interior line (plus injuries, and suspensions), and our inconsistent offense. We didn't get blown out. We just didn't win at our game. THEY controlled the tempo, and clock. That's really what beat us. We were on our heels the whole game.
Yup. Weakness at 1 tech may not have been THE problem, but it was part of the problem beyond any doubt.

Brooksey

Reaction score
The Rams game was not typical, we were really good against the run last year............5th or so if I remember correctly.

The problem with the Rams game was tipping. They picked up our signals and figured out what our blocking scheme was and just countered it. That is why they ran for like 400 yards.

In other words, it was a scheme problem and not a talent problem against the Rams. Like I said, we were a top 5 team during the regular season stopping the run.

So what about the Colts game? Did you ever think the Rams and Colts have two of the better offensive lines and we were just abused in the trenches?

kskboys

Reaction score
So what about the Colts game? Did you ever think the Rams and Colts have two of the better offensive lines and we were just abused in the trenches?
Possibly. And that means we need better trenches.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Totally unfair to compare a pick from 2 days ago to a bust from 2 years ago.

Are we even going to let Hill try on a uniform?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would have gone with the safety because it is the biggest need this year.

Trysten is a pick for 2020...............most likely Crawford's replacement.

No, Hill was a pick for this year in the rotation. He will replace Crawford, or even Collins in 2020. But he was drafted to now.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
The Rams game was not typical, we were really good against the run last year............5th or so if I remember correctly.

The problem with the Rams game was tipping. They picked up our signals and figured out what our blocking scheme was and just countered it. That is why they ran for like 400 yards.

In other words, it was a scheme problem and not a talent problem against the Rams. Like I said, we were a top 5 team during the regular season stopping the run.
The Colts ran all over us. The Titans ran all over us. It was a problem that surfaced multiple times, not just a fluky performance against the Rams.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I defended Taco......and in all honesty...Trysten Hill seems to have more want to.
Taco has the size.....but where is the want to?
I am excited to see what Hill will do.
Im hoping Taco starts to show something...other wise he may be done here.
If the Joe Jackson pick wasn't a message...then Jalen Jelks should be.

kskboys

Reaction score
Comparisons to Hill as a prospect:

Demarcus Ware
AOL
Larry Allen
Byron Jones
Xavior Woods
Mike White
Damien Wilson
Jason Williams
DLaw
David Arkin
Dwayne Harris
Crawford
JJ Wilcox
BW Webb

He's a small school guy w/ great measurables. Generally speaking, those great measurable equate to at least a useful player. Not always, no. This is a way we've drafted for a long time now w/ pretty good results.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I have to disagree. Our interior line is why we exited the playoffs.

The interior line calls are why we lost that game. The wide alignment and tipping off the stunts. Our run D had been pretty good all year.

So, we rewarded Marinelli's stubbornness in the playoffs by locking in on a lid he fell in love with. I don't like the precedent or the pick.

cern

Reaction score
he was our first pick. i'd expect him to be an immediate contributor. possibly even a starter. we need tackles that can stay healthy.

bdk76

Reaction score
The problem was 1T DT not 3T
Trystan does not solve it
Dremont Jones would have and he was on the board

Jones? Really? A 280 lb 3tech would come here and suddenly become a run stuffing 1 tech? Interesting....

InTheZone

Reaction score
I have to disagree. Our interior line is why we exited the playoffs.
interior line is probably the biggest reason for failure over the last 15 years. It wasn't the blame ALL THE TIME (since I have to state this or else my point is lost), but too many times have QBs come here in our stadium with a smirk, because they are going to make a highlight reel out of that game. Tampa 500 and Tampa 600 defenses, no interior DL thus they're playing pitch and catch against us or run up gut for 7 yards and somehow Jeff Heath gets blamed. Exit from playoffs 2014, 2016, 2018, we had many issues, but interior DL has remained a common denominator.

Cebrin

Reaction score
The interior line calls are why we lost that game. The wide alignment and tipping off the stunts. Our run D had been pretty good all year.

So, we rewarded Marinelli's stubbornness in the playoffs by locking in on a lid he fell in love with. I don't like the precedent or the pick.

We won't know until he plays. I like his tape. A lot of people said LVE was a bad pick, too.