Trysten vs Taco

Cebrin

Reaction score
It was more than that. If you go by that game then you're saying our DL is trash. They're not. This guy is not making our DL better. I do think Adderley, Thornhill, or Rapp, would have made our team better. I also think there was a reasonable chance Hill would be there at 90. No chance the other way around. Safety first would have been the safer route.

I was one of the people that hoped for a DT first. But the way it panned out with the players left, it called for a S first. In fact, when D.K. Metcalf fell to us, I would have rather they take him over Hill.

Games are won in the trenches. The job for a S becomes easier when the trenches are deep. I think Thornhill is a spectacular player, and I wanted him. However, I'm not mad at the pick.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Not as much pressure for a late 2nd round pick as a 1st round pick like Taco. We wont even expect Trystan to start this year.

Which basically means no impact players in draft this year. Kinda reminds me of our Special Teams draft in 2009. I’d rather of used a couple late round picks to move up a little.
This draft was garbage

Sandyf

Reaction score
I would have gone with the safety because it is the biggest need this year.

Trysten is a pick for 2020...............most likely Crawford's replacement.
Apparently the Cowboys did not believe safety was their biggest need as fans and analyst thought.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Taco was touted by most analysts as a fringe 1st rounder and has no off the field concerns.

Hills range typically falls in the 3rd/4th, he struggles to anchor and he has character concerns.

I felt way, way better about the Taco pick...even though he hasn’t shown us much post draft.
who says hill's range was 3rd and 4th? some draft pundits who know as much as some of the folks on this board...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This draft was garbage
why? because none of the players on your board were drafted? and you have previous NFL experience in drafting and building teams so you know what's good for the team!!! well, if I were you I would give a call to McClay and tout your expertise...there is a job waiting for you

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I would have gone with the safety because it is the biggest need this year.

Trysten is a pick for 2020...............most likely Crawford's replacement.
I don’t think Thornhill in this defense would be a starting S, at least this season. Hill should make an impact this year, and the D-line has been in need for a DT in the middle for several seasons due to Irving being a chronic pothead and Malik’s foot issues. So Don’t sleep on Xavier, and they just signed Iloka. S wasn’t as pressing as DT.

waldoputty

Reaction score
A lot of people have been making the comparison between the circumstances of the pics, but I am looking at it from a slightly more optimistic angle.

The taco vs tj decision came down to scheme, position, and watt's knee injuries. so Taco was almost the default choice because tj had warts (to them).

With trysten, this is their guy. they wanted him, they love him, and when it came down to him or thornhill (who they also loved and is everything they'd want from a safety) they chose this kid. weren't forced to by the board breaking poorly, or their guy getting sniped. the board broke pretty favorably for them, and they confidently made the decision. reminds me more of the lve pick than the taco pick

my two cents

hill has a special trait - his extreme explosiveness given his weight (best explosiveness score - vertical jump - for all the drafted dts)
taco is a good athlete but does not have a carrying trait.