News: TS: Mike Zimmer Sends Clear Message About His Plan For Cowboys

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
His press conference made me extremely sad. He sounded like the dozens of nearing-retirement engineers I interview every year that are just trying to find a safe haven job to coast into retirement. I got no sense that he came into that interview knowing who half of the defensive players were, and had not even begun crafting a vision for the defense (which I would assume is an interview question for the DC role).

In short, I feel like a buddy on a short leash hired another buddy with few prospects so that they can protect one another from getting fired

I do actually like the assistant coaches he’s bringing in though
Lol Ive interviewed two of them and had them both forced on me. Then I get to take the criticism when they aren't slaying

plymkr

Reaction score
Of course. Even for a team that has found new ways to crush our souls every year this was a next level kick in the junk, followed by a wet willy while we lay there in our own vomit, conclusion to the year....
You know you’re right. This season’s failure was much harder than years’ past. I think I wanted to believe Dak turned a corner because he led the NFL in TDs. I wanted to believe we had home field advantage. I wanted to believe we had a defense that could compete. I wanted to believe the curse was lifted. When everyone bombed out in the playoffs it was rough. Offense, Defense and Coaching just didn’t show up. It’s like they didn’t want to be there. They were more excited about the victory party than the game, or so it seems. Then you throw in DLaw saying the team was burned out from the season.

I think for me the end of the season showed how dysfunctional this organization is and how starting from the owner on down it’s more important to famous than competitive. I think that kick in the junk still hurts and I’m struggling to get excited about next year.

plymkr

Reaction score
well, we have no idea if this move replacing dan Quinn with zimmer will be good or bad or maybe just an even swap BUT i am glad a new voice on that side of the ball has arrived and just maybe because Jerrys comfortable with Zim as they go way back Zim will make few suggestions at LB and DT that effect FA and the draft in positive way.
Hopefully Zimmer can emphasize stopping the run. That would be huge. I like Zimmer but he’s still not enough to get me back to the Rah Rah mode. I’m also hoping Zim can make better use of Micah. We’ll see.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Of course. Even for a team that has found new ways to crush our souls every year this was a next level kick in the junk, followed by a wet willy while we lay there in our own vomit, conclusion to the year....
Being a fan of a non-elite team is not for the faint hearted. Being good but not great rarely leads to going deep into the playoffs let alone playing in a Super Bowl. Personally I was disappointed that we quickly exited out of the playoffs yet again but it was a fleeing emotional moment. I don't feel mentally eviscerated or am I getting physically sick over it. I have been a Dallas Cowboys fan for almost 40 years. I used to really get pissed over losses for days. I keep my sanity by appreciating this amazing game, winning is always icing on the cake. I think a change in ownership and executive management is way overdue. But since this is a family franchise who knows when that will ever happen.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Being a fan of a non-elite team is not for the faint hearted. Being good but not great rarely leads to going deep into the playoffs let alone playing in a Super Bowl. Personally I was disappointed that we quickly exited out of the playoffs yet again but it was a fleeing emotional moment. I don't feel mentally eviscerated or am I getting physically sick over it. I have been a Dallas Cowboys fan for almost 40 years. I used to really get pissed over losses for days. I keep my sanity by appreciating this amazing game, winning is always icing on the cake. I think a change in ownership and executive management is way overdue. But since this is a family franchise who knows when that will ever happen.
True. Its year 49 for me. What makes this year worse than most, if not the worst ever is the complete lay down like a dog way they lost. After the 2 previous losses to SF in the playoffs, we could at least fool ourselves into thinking we were close and if we just tweaked a few things we'd be right there. When a team just quits and shows no fight, No heart, no balls, its hard to see that being fixed any time soon. Its a shame that we have to hope they luck into a coach/qb and roster that can overcome the softness mentality the Jones family exudes through the franchise. But it is what it is.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Looking at the teams we play in 24, cowboys may struggle to win 8 games.
Regardless of their opponents I will be very surprised if they don't completely fall apart this season. Not sure how they can come back from that embarrassment.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Regardless of their opponents I will be very surprised if they don't completely fall apart this season. Not sure how they can come back from that embarrassment.
They are still a talented team. It's unlikely they "fall apart" no matter what the definition is for that term. We have to wait until FA and the draft are over to really get a feel of what the 2024 team will look like. Unfortunately the bottom line is we have to simply wait and hope the FO can get their stuff together.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They are still a talented team. It's unlikely they "fall apart" no matter what the definition is for that term. We have to wait until FA and the draft are over to really get a feel of what the 2024 team will look like. Unfortunately the bottom line is we have to simply wait and hope the FO can get their stuff together.
They were talented in 2010 too. Came off a playoff win vs Philly followed by a similar beat down to Minny like what just happened to them vs GB. Of course this loss was way worse as the 2 seed AT HOME. "Falling apart" seems highly likely regardless of talent or roster. Once a team quits on a coach, haven't seen a team come back from that. Hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Creeper

Reaction score
If he can bring discipline to the defense it will be interesting to see how much of an impact that alone makes.

Loso86

Reaction score
Yup. Only speaking for myself, I will need to see them beat SF in the regular season before I take them seriously. Just hard to think of a team historically with a lame duck coach thats done anything special. Especially after that aggravated assault GB put on them. Sure feels like 2010 following the playoff pounding in Minnesota.
Lol I'd rather them get at least to the NFCC game but that's just me

blueblood70

Reaction score
Looking at the teams we play in 24, cowboys may struggle to win 8 games.
you know a lot of you have said that the last 3 years, just keep waiting for the shoe to drop. i guess if you say it every year, you might get it right once. lmao.

but it is pretty cool that you all think that that just because of last year's schedule that these teams will be as strong or better this year? the SOS nonsense almost never holds true, many of you picked us 2nd or 3rd in the division, claimed dak would lead the league in INTs again, nope, just bets in the league td-int ratio and finished 2nd in MVP voting without a good run game and shaky D blah blah blah puke.

advice, just watch and we will only know in about 10 months how this team might show or not show.

visionary

Reaction score
Has anyone seen anything on the length of the contract? Is it actually only one year?

Sadly it’s a huge factor as to what his role may be after the upcoming season.
Only 1 year because next year will be a new contract as HC

visionary

Reaction score
you know a lot of you have said that the last 3 years, just keep waiting for the shoe to drop. i guess if you say it every year, you might get it right once. lmao.

but it is pretty cool that you all think that that just because of last year's schedule that these teams will be as strong or better this year? the SOS nonsense almost never holds true, many of you picked us 2nd or 3rd in the division, claimed dak would lead the league in INTs again, nope, just bets in the league td-int ratio and finished 2nd in MVP voting without a good run game and shaky D blah blah blah puke.

advice, just watch and we will only know in about 10 months how this team might show or not show.
Shoes have been dropping for years but idiot homers just think it is rain drops