News: TS: NFL Insider Does Not Expect Dak Prescott To Get Contract Extension In 2024

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I hope he does. I want to see more fans, players, and team family members hating the crap out of him. get the money boi, even though you haven't earned it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Alex smith has a career winning percentage of .600. Dak Prescott .640. Alex Smith was 2-5 in the playoffs. Dak Prescott is 2-5 in the playoffs. Alex Smith was 32 years old when KC drafted Mahomes. Dak Prescott will be 31 this year with one year left on his contract.. The situation isn't that different. For the record I'm not saying Alex Smith is better or equal to Dak, however the results are pretty much the same.
It’s different because San Francisco gave up on Alex Smith for another QB. Go compare his career numbers to Dak’s, they’re not even close. He only had one 4000 yard season and never threw for more than 26 TDs. Dak is miles ahead of Alex Smith.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
We have #24. Who’s our guy?
Not saying you have to take someone, but I dont see why anyone would think it's out of the question. Jerry has said many times that Jalen Hurts was the pick if Philly didn't take him. If you like a guy in the draft go get him. You don't not be open to drafting a QB because you already have one. Green Bay is the perfect example of that.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It’s different because San Francisco gave up on Alex Smith for another QB. Go compare his career numbers to Dak’s, they’re not even close. He only had one 4000 yard season and never threw for more than 26 TDs. Dak is miles ahead of Alex Smith.
I've never understood the argument that a player is bad because another team gave up on them. Is Jared Goff a bad QB? LA gave up on him. Washington gave up on Kirk Cousins. I'm with you all the way that Dak is a better player than Alex Smith, but if Dak Prescott has given you Alex Smith results why do we fear moving on from the player? Plenty of ways to build out a roster. Some of those ways include building around an elite QB. It's worked out great for Kansas City, they're in the superbowl. It's also not wrong to get you an OK QB who can play within a system and dedicate more money to building up the rest of the roster. It's worked great for San Francisco, they're in the super bowl.

IDK if you move on from Dak or not, but I don't get the fear of doing so. If you see a QB you like in the draft and you can make a move to get said player you do it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I've never understood the argument that a player is bad because another team gave up on them. Is Jared Goff a bad QB? LA gave up on him. Washington gave up on Kirk Cousins. I'm with you all the way that Dak is a better player than Alex Smith, but if Dak Prescott has given you Alex Smith results why do we fear moving on from the player? Plenty of ways to build out a roster. Some of those ways include building around an elite QB. It's worked out great for Kansas City, they're in the superbowl. It's also not wrong to get you an OK QB who can play within a system and dedicate more money to building up the rest of the roster. It's worked great for San Francisco, they're in the super bowl.

IDK if you move on from Dak or not, but I don't get the fear of doing so. If you see a QB you like in the draft and you can make a move to get said player you do it.
Never said Alex Smith was bad because San Francisco gave up on him. He just wasn’t the answer and neither was Jared Goff, which the Rams proved by winning a Super Bowl with Matt Stafford who they swapped Goff for. If you move on from Dak and the QB you like in the draft doesn’t pan out you’re screwed. It’s better to hang onto him and find a better option, then move on.

Last edited:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Exactly..............if Dak and his agent come in to Jerry's office demanding the richest contract in NFL history, then Jerry should just turn around to the TV on the wall and start playing the Green Bay game.

Dak best be given us a hometown discount ($50 a year max) after that abortion of a game.
Dak is under contract for next season. His agent likely wants him to be a free agent. Why would they go to Jerry’s office at all? If Jerry Jones wants to do something with the contract he signed with Dak he’ll be going to Dak’s agent’s office.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Dak is under contract for next season. His agent likely wants him to be a free agent. Why would they go to Jerry’s office at all? If Jerry Jones wants to do something with the contract he signed with Dak he’ll be going to Dak’s agent’s office.
This is actually a very good point that doesnt get brought up at all. Dak is not only a free agent next year, but he is a free agent that cant be tagged. This is rare territory that a QB at this level could walk into free agency with no strings attached. Lamar Jackson didn't get any attention but he also required a team give up two first round draft picks. Dak may actually prefer to reach free agency and enjoy the bidding war unless Jerry makes him an offer he cant refuse.

Kwyn

Reaction score
There is the argument that playing without an extension is possibly a risk due to injury.

Would a team still sign a franchise QB even if it looked like they might miss significant time in their first year with a new team? Maybe.

A massive new contract is ideal for the player

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The only leverage this team has is to tell him he's going to have to earn his starting job in camp. Try and piss him off enough he demands a trade.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
There is the argument that playing without an extension is possibly a risk due to injury.

Would a team still sign a franchise QB even if it looked like they might miss significant time in their first year with a new team? Maybe.

I would agree with that if it were not for the 2020 season. Dak snapped his leg like a twig and still got paid. 99% of QB injuries wont stop them from getting paid, and we also learned from that season that Dak isnt afraid to play on an expiring deal.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

Well, if it’s a massive offer I’d guess he signs it. If not, he’s likely a June 1 cut for cap management purposes. Free agent before next season starts. Unless he hurts himself during this off season he’s perfectly healthy.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Well, if it’s a massive offer I’d guess he signs it. If not, he’s likely a June 1 cut for cap management purposes. Free agent before next season starts. Unless he hurts himself during this off season he’s perfectly healthy.
I believe he’ll be extended for sure, but for the sake of argument, if he’s not extended, you believe they’d just cut him rather than let him play?

Cutting him without a new QB is essentially flushing next season before it even starts.

I just don’t see that happening

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're talking about dumping players such as Martin. Sure you want to do that?
Why where are going next season...........really now?
Time for him and Smith to move on as time and the cap are a reality just like taxes!

blueblood70

Reaction score
So, all the employees at this business should work for under market compensation because the organization didn’t hit its annual goal?
There's a big difference between setting the market and getting paid fairly if a player wants to set a market ie new record and is not the top guy in his failed yes they need to take less demanding that type of money is saved for truly top players getting it done but if that 56 for Mahomes, daks sure not in that market. Man has 3 rings and they have pulled his talent yearly guess what still gets it done. Same with drop it CD, cant get sack or fumble in a big moment, Parsons, that's is correct is MP setting sack records? any records? and hardware? let me know when MP gets 22.5 or even enters the 20-sack club and we can talk?

exactly answer is NO.

that means you take less than top guy especially if team accomplishments mean more than taking more then you need or should take.

Here's a good example I was looking at this yesterday Hassan read it how do you rate him to Micah Parsons go look at his last three years look at Michael Parsons last three years he took three years 45,000,000...

He's two 14.8 million and the Eagles are already saying hey you can go seek a trade So what if we can go get this guy for a third round pick and 14.8 million but say he wants to sign for 18 but Micah Parsons want 30 who are you taking I mean seriously do you think Micah Parsons is worth 25 to $30 million over a guy that can do very similar things let's say 5 million to 10 million less??

Sometimes ego and greed come into this we're not asking dudes to be eating hot dogs and ramen bro we're talking about taking top five pay instead of trying to set the new market record because none of our players on our team deserve that regardless if it's time to get paid they should get paid well they should be highly paid but when we're talking about making comps how far down the ladder is what we think say Baker Mayfield at 40 is that far below dak at demanded 55?? a guy like Tannehill or baker at reduced rate , sure dak might be slightly better than them but at what price does it cost the team and you can get as far and add another star with that extra 15mil..I mean Cleveland used like 4 qbs and Flacco got them to same place dak did how much di he make this year?​
same with CD hes tougher to comp and replace but I'm betting there someone's close to his talent and production that if he demands 25 and we can get player for 18 in his range, i mean this is critical and im sorry you cant discern the differences in players trying to set NEW market ie records to be the highest paid at their position vs taking what closer to their actual worth..​

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Jones FO duo have already dealt themselves an extremely difficult future in negotiating contracts with Dak. Whether or not they'll manage to come through those meetings will surely be interesting to take note of. I would take some bold decisions for Jerry and Stephen to manage to escape their past mistakes with Dak and make amends sufficiently enough to impress their fans.

In any event, there will be some difficult times ahead in negotiating themselves out of the dilemma they've created in their past contracts with Dak. Will Trey Lance prove competent enough to help them make some bold decisions in the near future? That should prove very interesting to discover in due time, like in training camp.

Last edited:

Kwyn

Reaction score
There's a big difference between setting the market and getting paid fairly if a player wants to set a market ie new record and is not the top guy in his failed yes they need to take less demanding that type of money is saved for truly top players getting it done but if that 56 for Mahomes, daks sure not in that market. Man has 3 rings and they have pulled his talent yearly guess what still gets it done. Same with drop it CD, cant get sack or fumble in a big moment, Parsons, that's is correct is MP setting sack records? any records? and hardware? let me know when MP gets 22.5 or even enters the 20-sack club and we can talk?

exactly answer is NO.

that means you take less than top guy especially if team accomplishments mean more than taking more then you need or should take.

Here's a good example I was looking at this yesterday Hassan read it how do you rate him to Micah Parsons go look at his last three years look at Michael Parsons last three years he took three years 45,000,000...

He's two 14.8 million and the Eagles are already saying hey you can go seek a trade So what if we can go get this guy for a third round pick and 14.8 million but say he wants to sign for 18 but Micah Parsons want 30 who are you taking I mean seriously do you think Micah Parsons is worth 25 to $30 million over a guy that can do very similar things let's say 5 million to 10 million less??

Sometimes ego and greed come into this we're not asking dudes to be eating hot dogs and ramen bro we're talking about taking top five pay instead of trying to set the new market record because none of our players on our team deserve that regardless if it's time to get paid they should get paid well they should be highly paid but when we're talking about making comps how far down the ladder is what we think say Baker Mayfield at 40 is that far below dak at demanded 55?? a guy like Tannehill or baker at reduced rate , sure dak might be slightly better than them but at what price does it cost the team and you can get as far and add another star with that extra 15mil..I mean Cleveland used like 4 qbs and Flacco got them to same place dak did how much di he make this year?​
same with CD hes tougher to comp and replace but I'm betting there someone's close to his talent and production that if he demands 25 and we can get player for 18 in his range, i mean this is critical and im sorry you cant discern the differences in players trying to set NEW market ie records to be the highest paid at their position vs taking what closer to their actual worth..​
So, you’re arguing down the average wage to the lowest possible level. This is how management typically prefers to address this.

Identifying one player who is underpaid to the market and then I insisting that all other players lower pay down to that level is not really appropriate or how capitalism works, when it’s working well.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So, you’re arguing down the average wage to the lowest possible level. This is how management typically prefers to address this.

Identifying one player who is underpaid to the market and then I insisting that all other players lower pay down to that level is not really appropriate or how capitalism works, when it’s working well.
that not what i said its how you perceived and twisted it but umm ok. pay everyone up max money no matter what the team has to suffer..sure thats the way to build a champion.. good try though

Im glad Tyreek counting them duckettes and at home warm watching his old team and qb win rings..buit hey its about max$$$$, take little less still be rich beyond belief and collect hardware...Brady showed how to do this. Crying poor like its cheap dogs and ramen if they take a little less. lmao.