News: TS: NFL World Pays Tribute To Cowboys Great Tony Romo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexx

Reaction score
Better than Aikman. And not by just a little bit.
Hrmmm not sure if Tony could have executed the timing offense like Troy did but not sure Troy could have had much success with the horrible lines Tony had. Let’s not prop up Tony, who I love dearly, to bring down a Hall of Fame QB in Troy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
y42Dbqh.gif

:laugh:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Hrmmm not sure if Tony could have executed the timing offense like Troy did but not sure Troy could have had much success with the horrible lines Tony had. Let’s not prop up Tony, who I love dearly, to bring down a Hall of Fame QB in Troy.

Yeah. I wouldn't go either way because it's hard to tell how one player would do in another's situation. Aikman was clearly the right quarterback at the right time for Dallas' 1990s teams. Were there better pure QBs than Aikman during his time? Absolutely. Would they have had as much success in Dallas? Maybe not. There's a lot that goes into success.

It's just as hard to tell if other quarterbacks would have done better or worse in Dallas during Romo's years. I tend to think Romo made those teams look better than they were, and believe there's some evidence of that, but I can't say Aikman wouldn't have done better. I do believe Romo was a better pure passer, but he's also a product of his time. The game has evolved in ways that make the quarterback and passing more important and even easier than it was during Aikman's time.

I prefer to enjoy each player for what they did, not necessarily what the team did, because they can't control that. Staubach and Aikman were in great situations, and they did their part to capitalize that. Romo didn't get to enjoy those kinds of team, but that doesn't diminish him individually as a player in my eyes. He's one of my favorites.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Maybe Romo should have done that. He'd likely have him some CFL titles, too, if he picked the right team.
Remember Moon played for Washington in college so Canada was much more familiar with him than a QB from a Division II school who most had ever seen play.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah. I wouldn't go either way because it's hard to tell how one player would do in another's situation. Aikman was clearly the right quarterback at the right time for Dallas' 1990s teams. Were there better pure QBs than Aikman during his time? Absolutely. Would they have had as much success in Dallas? Maybe not. There's a lot that goes into success.

It's just as hard to tell if other quarterbacks would have done better or worse in Dallas during Romo's years. I tend to think Romo made those teams look better than they were, and believe there's some evidence of that, but I can't say Aikman wouldn't have done better. I do believe Romo was a better pure passer, but he's also a product of his time. The game has evolved in ways that make the quarterback and passing more important and even easier than it was during Aikman's time.

I prefer to enjoy each player for what they did, not necessarily what the team did, because they can't control that. Staubach and Aikman were in great situations, and they did their part to capitalize that. Romo didn't get to enjoy those kinds of team, but that doesn't diminish him individually as a player in my eyes. He's one of my favorites.
Romo was a fan favorite for many fans of this era. He’s arguably the best QB with the Cowboys they’d prob ever seen. My great nephew who is 21 now he called Romo on his FB page the GOAT. I’m not here to bust their bubbles.

But for those of us who grew up with Meredith and Staubach and then enjoyed the 90’s dynasty with Aikman , our bar is much higher.

Unfortunately that’s part of sports. You can’t always have HOF QB’s and championship teams. Romo did the best he could with what he had and dysfunctional ownership around him.And he is no doubt one of the greatest Undrafted QB in NFL history.

I’m sure he’s very comfortable with his place in history considering where he came from. He almost didn’t even get a chance to play.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The criticism will continue for Romo and Prescott but the core issues for this eras lack of success lie much deeper.

These QB’s while not as great as some in our history have helped prop up a dysfunctional ownership which without these over achieving guys would have been more of a bottom tier franchise.

We’ve seen the type of QB’s they’ve drafted early this era in Quincy Carter and were seeking in Lynch and even possibly Manziel.

All of this hostility towards these QB’s is misdirected . The target for our lack of success this era is the one constant throughout.

shabazz

Reaction score
Better than Aikman. And not by just a little bit.

part of me agrees……but to have an honest comparison, we would have to see Aikman without one of the best offensive line and running backs in NFL history or without the great Michael Irvin.

the NFC championship game loss to the Niners showed me that Troy could turn into Dan Fouts if need be.

two very different offenses so it’s tough to compare……however, the one clear nod that goes to Romo was escapability. There’s no way Troy could have turned so many busted plays into pure gold. JJ Watt can affirm this

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He made some receivers better than they were but in the crunch games the team never rallied around him. Our play never elevated in the big games with him at QB. Not only did we lose but we got our butts handed to us in some of those games. I really don’t think the team believed in him when it mattered most. The fan base doubted him as well. He was one of the best QBs ever for the Cowboys. However he didn’t get it done in the postseason.
I thought 2014 vs Green Bay Tony put us in position to win. You feel differently. Fine. The team let him down and it's HIS fault. I think that's nuts.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He will never smell the HOF
I believe you are correct as far as him being inducted as a player. However, coaches and contributors are selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in addition to players. The question of whether his post-NFL career accomplishments related to the sport in time has not been decided.

erod

Reaction score
part of me agrees……but to have an honest comparison, we would have to see Aikman without one of the best offensive line and running backs in NFL history or without the great Michael Irvin.

the NFC championship game loss to the Niners showed me that Troy could turn into Dan Fouts if need be.

two very different offenses so it’s tough to compare……however, the one clear nod that goes to Romo was escapability. There’s no way Troy could have turned so many busted plays into pure gold. JJ Watt can affirm this

Tony could read defenses and pinpoint his passes better than Aikman. Romo could feel the rush and buy time, and still new which way the routes were breaking in those instances. Kept his eyes downfield better than any quarterback who ever played here.

Troy had a big arm and was incredible with deep outs and quick slants. But he wasn't terribly accurate anywhere downfield, and he certainly couldn't adlib when needed. I also never really saw him scanning the field during a play and looking for second and third options much. That's not to say he wasn't great, but his limitations were evident.

Of course, Troy was ideal for that offense because his main job was to not screw it up and throw key passes in prime moments, which he could do.

Troy has a lot in common with Terry Bradshaw. Really good but certainly the beneficiaries of playing on the best team in the league.

Romo had to circumnavigate a fatally flawed organization and various rosters that made no football sense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I thought 2014 vs Green Bay Tony put us in position to win. You feel differently. Fine. The team let him down and it's HIS fault. I think that's nuts.

I never said he didn’t put us in a position to win against Green Bay in 2014. However I don’t think the throw to Dez in the final four minutes of the game on a fourth and 2 was the smart play. He should’ve attempted to pick up the first down to Witten or Beasley and try and milk the clock. Even had the play to Dez not been overturned or he would’ve scored Aaron Rodgers had plenty of time to win the game. You can’t give Aaron Rodgers almost 4 minutes. I’ve never put any of our lack of playoff success all on Romo. Never once did I say it was all his fault. Our defense played a huge part in those losses and was the main reason we lost those games. We still had an opportunity to get the ball back against Green Bay in 2014 but our defense couldn’t make a stop. Aaron Rodgers played on one leg that day and our defense could never get any pressure on him.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Romo, being undrafted turned out to be a great player , not a great QB though, if Parcells had stuck with Cowboys one more season may be the team would have significant post season success and Romo Probably would have become a great QB. ( or Peyton became our coach )

But, Tony made the Cowboys relevant again , and made games watchable . We always felt there was a chance in the game. But the gunslinger nature robbed some important milestones ( case in point , in the GB playoff game at 4th down had an easy 1st down underneath but went for the TD with Dez ( he caught it ! ) and the game slipped out of hand )

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never said he didn’t put us in a position to win against Green Bay in 2014. However I don’t think the throw to Dez in the final four minutes of the game on a fourth and 2 was the smart play. He should’ve attempted to pick up the first down to Witten or Beasley and try and milk the clock. Even had the play to Dez not been overturned or he would’ve scored Aaron Rodgers had plenty of time to win the game. You can’t give Aaron Rodgers almost 4 minutes. I’ve never put any of our lack of playoff success all on Romo. Never once did I say it was all his fault. Our defense played a huge part in those losses and was the main reason we lost those games. We still had an opportunity to get the ball back against Green Bay in 2014 but our defense couldn’t make a stop. Aaron Rodgers played on one leg that day and our defense could never get any pressure on him.
You did though. You said "in the playoffs romo never got it done". Id say that is a clear blame statement. This post seems to be a backpedal....which i agree 100%

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You did though. You said "in the playoffs romo never got it done". Id say that is a clear blame statement. This post seems to be a backpedal....which i agree 100%

I said he never got it done in the playoffs but I didn’t put it all on him. He never played his best football in the playoffs but neither did our defense. He played well enough to beat Green Bay in 2014 but our defense couldn’t make critical stops. If you don’t reach the Super Bowl you’re not getting it done as a QB. They’re judged by their playoff record. We never got past the divisional round with Romo. Dak hasn’t gotten it done but it hasn’t been all his fault.

Tractor1

Reaction score
For most of his career Romo was a good QB that made a poor team average. In 2014 he was a great QB that made a good team SB contenders. It's a shame he fell short.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The headline is appropriate. Romo was a Cowboys Great, he was not a NFL great. However, he also did not have the great teams Staubach and Aikman did, which is why they are in the HOF.

The real crime committed to his career was when Booger said he's the only QB that can play behind that OL. Did he truly understand the self-incrimination in that statement? Romo's agent and wife sure did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.