News: TS: NFL World Pays Tribute To Cowboys Great Tony Romo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_D

Reaction score
Troy didnt have to win games???????????? you think Steve Young and 49ers were a cake walk????????????????

none of the qbs you named won 3 sb's, or 2, some not even 1

any average qb could have won??? now you sound like Jerry saying 500 other coaches could have coached the team.

again I'm not an Aikman groupie but he's so much better than Romo that I cant believe we're even having this discussion. Name 1 (just 1) big game Romo won in his whole career. Aikman was 11-4 in the playoffs with 3 sb wins.
the fact you think Romo is on the same level as Aikman is amazing

Aikman had a very special team, a great D, smart coaching and the #1 scoring RB in NFL history. You talk like Romo had any of those things. it was live or die on the passing offense while the “GM” made one poor decision after the next year after year! You can’t compare that to a dynasty! That 92 team could be the best ever!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Smarter than folks imagined until he went to the broadcasting booth. One of several good players for the Cowboys the 20+ years who never had a real chance at a playoff run because of poor management on the part of Jones & Son. Tony never played on a complete roster or for a good coach after Parcells.
Parcells was so good, we won jack squat with him. His time is viewed as wonderful.... yet he didnt do any more than Dave Campo.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not being a cheerleader just looking at it realistically. The bigger the pressure the better Aikman performed. The opposite was true of Romo. He was great when it was a regular or nothing game but as the pressure mounted he couldnt process it. All the bad performances when it counted wasnt a coincidence -name one big game Romo ever won. Some players (Reggie Jackson) thrive on it. Others (Romo) shut down. I dont think he would have won those SB much less get that far in the playoffs even with Jimmy. I would take Aikman 100 times out of 100 over Romo in a big game. Again I'm not a homer and Romo was a good qb but not great and never won when he had to.
If you're talking about pocket pressure, Aikman wasn't half the player Romo was. Aikman was great when he had time to throw, but evading rushers wasn't his forte.

buddahjoe445

Reaction score
Troy had more leadership and clutch qualities under his little finger nail than Romo had in his whole body. Romo=loser. Troy=winner. Dak=horrible.
I agree with you Troy and Dak, but playing with better talent makes winning a lot easier. Imagine how Troy would have done if he played for Garrett.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Parcells was so good, we won jack squat with him. His time is viewed as wonderful.... yet he didnt do any more than Dave Campo.
Parcells was a major step up from Galley and Campo. Unlike those two and Phillips and Garrett and even MM fans felt like he was in control and the team was headed in the right direction for a refreshing change. There was not the impression that Jerry Jones had the upper hand on the roster and things that the HC should control. Most Cowboy fans were sad to see Parcells leave.

fredp22

Reaction score
If you're talking about pocket pressure, Aikman wasn't half the player Romo was. Aikman was great when he had time to throw, but evading rushers wasn't his forte.
no not talking pocket pressure- Talking about game pressure. the bigger the game the better the odds Romo would just shut down. He never won one even 1 big game in his whole career. . Romo could preread a defense but so did Aikman. Romo could roll out but big deal-he was to frail and it caused more injuries than it extended plays. Romos a level or 2 below Aikman as a total qb

fredp22

Reaction score
Aikman had a very special team, a great D, smart coaching and the #1 scoring RB in NFL history. You talk like Romo had any of those things. it was live or die on the passing offense while the “GM” made one poor decision after the next year after year! You can’t compare that to a dynasty! That 92 team could be the best ever!
Romo had a good defense for a few years-he did nothing
Romo had Demarco Murray/Dez and a greal OL the 12-3 season-did nothing
Aikman had a great team but he was part of it and was a part of the reason they won. He didnt win because of the team. He was part of the reason they won
Romo would not have been 11-4 in the playoffs with 3 sb's wins if you switched the 2. He couldnt handle big pressure games. Name 1 big game he won in his whole career. He played on 12-4 and 13-3 teams. He folded whenever the game got to big/important.
Sorry-Romo is nowhere close to the level of Aikman.

Last edited:

Nav22

Reaction score
I just don’t get it. Why do Cowboys fans hate on their own players like this?

The rest of the NFL world can hate on us, because we’re the Cowboys and they aren’t. There’s always going to be that twinge of jealousy from them - part of the territory of being America’s Team.

Tony Romo would’ve been worshipped by Cardinals fans if he was their QB.

It never made sense for Cowboys fans to trash one of the better QBs in football, as if our shortcomings were somehow all his fault.

Same exact treatment Dak is getting now. Trash him all you want, he’s still one of the 10 best QBs in football (players, coaches and FOs all agree on this - it’s documented) and most teams would LOVE to have him as their QB.

Big_D

Reaction score
Romo had a good defense for a few years-he did nothing
Romo had Demarco Murray/Dez and a greal OL the 12-3 season-did nothing
Aikman had a great team but he was part of it and was a part of the reason they won. He didnt win because of the team. He was part of the reason they won
Romo would not have been 11-4 in the playoffs with 3 sb's wins if you switched the 2. He couldnt handle big pressure games. Name 1 big game he won in his whole career. He played on 12-4 and 13-3 teams. He folded whenever the game got to big/important.
Sorry-Romo is nowhere close to the level of Aikman.

when he was 34? lol there was zero consistency when Aikman had plenty of it. He dint have the leading scorer at RB and a great Oline “one” year. He had it every year. Huge difference. Flip Aikman to the mess of a team Jerry built. You think he’s winning Super Bowls, 12-4 and 13-3 teams were 7 years apart. Like the QB had nothing to do with that?? Give me a quick run down of the quality moves Jerry made in between those seasons! Romo’s teams were no where close either.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
when he was 34? lol there was zero consistency when Aikman had plenty of it. He dint have the leading scorer at RB and a great Oline “one” year. He had it every year. Huge difference. Flip Aikman to the mess of a team Jerry built. You think he’s winning Super Bowls, 12-4 and 13-3 teams were 7 years apart. Like the QB had nothing to do with that?? Give me a quick run down of the quality moves Jerry made in between those seasons! Romo’s teams were no where close either.
Let's not forget Troy had Jimmy for a coach. Nobody seems to consider that aspect. People talk about the poor coaches Romo had, but they don't mention the great coach Aikman had, and how his SB days were over the moment Jimmy left.

Not knocking Troy. He was a great QB for that team, but there's no point in denying he was in a better situation than Romo ever had.

Big_D

Reaction score
Let's not forget Troy had Jimmy for a coach. Nobody seems to consider that aspect. People talk about the poor coaches Romo had, but they don't mention the great coach Aikman had, and how his SB days were over the moment Jimmy left.

Not knocking Troy. He was a great QB for that team, but there's no point in denying he was in a better situation than Romo ever had.

No doubt about that. You don’t have to look any further than the Garrett/Phillips hire. The team was soft and clueless. Combine that with the imbecile GM and you get a pretty good indication on how Jerry wasted a lot of good players careers. There’s certainly no knock on Troy, just pointing out the benefits he had that Romo did not. Jimmy being the most important. Well built, well prepared and confident. Romo got the complete opposite of that!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Parcells was a major step up from Galley and Campo. Unlike those two and Phillips and Garrett and even MM fans felt like he was in control and the team was headed in the right direction for a refreshing change. There was not the impression that Jerry Jones had the upper hand on the roster and things that the HC should control. Most Cowboy fans were sad to see Parcells leave.
IMPRESSIONS....lol... you just said it, IMPRESSIONS. Fans dont know jack squat about what is really happening. JG probably had a better winning % as HC in Dallas than Parcells. I could be wrong, just a guess.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikman was the prototypical pocket passing QB much like Brady is. Their job was/is to get the ball to the playmakers. Romo had to create plays and be a playmaker himself.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMPRESSIONS....lol... you just said it, IMPRESSIONS. Fans dont know jack squat about what is really happening. JG probably had a better winning % as HC in Dallas than Parcells. I could be wrong, just a guess.
Parcells gave the fans hope. He was the first take charge HC since Johnson and the fact it was public knowledge that he had control gave us a break.

The same thing that caught up to Johnson caught up to Parcells, the cap and FA. They are cut from the same cloth, my way or the highway and that went away with FA. Hell, Coughlin had to take his team bowling trying to be one of the guys or get fired.

What happened in the NBA happened in the NFL, players could get coaches fired and they became the dog and the HC the tail. Meyer didn't understand that and overplayed his hand. He didn't learn from watching Chip Kelly do the same thing.

It is not lost on the players that the HC turnover in the NFL is 20-25% every year. That is an incredibly bad rate of turnover and the only thing that is constant and stable are the rising player contracts.

Big_D

Reaction score
Parcells gave the fans hope. He was the first take charge HC since Johnson and the fact it was public knowledge that he had control gave us a break.

The same thing that caught up to Johnson caught up to Parcells, the cap and FA. They are cut from the same cloth, my way or the highway and that went away with FA. Hell, Coughlin had to take his team bowling trying to be one of the guys or get fired.

What happened in the NBA happened in the NFL, players could get coaches fired and they became the dog and the HC the tail. Meyer didn't understand that and overplayed his hand. He didn't learn from watching Chip Kelly do the same thing.

It is not lost on the players that the HC turnover in the NFL is 20-25% every year. That is an incredibly bad rate of turnover and the only thing that is constant and stable are the rising player contracts.

Jerry was clueless and had no idea how to fix a sinking ship! The team was an absolute disaster when Parcells got here. He needed a stadium, he needed a coach that would provide hope and most importantly a coach good enough to fix the mess he created. And he needed not to start losing money at a rapid pace if things continued on that path. A complete joke in 2002, playoff team in 2006 with a young franchise QB. Then post Parcells it no longer mattered.. they were already a disaster by 2010 but he got his stadium!

erod

Reaction score
Troy didnt have to win games???????????? you think Steve Young and 49ers were a cake walk????????????????

none of the qbs you named won 3 sb's, or 2, some not even 1

any average qb could have won??? now you sound like Jerry saying 500 other coaches could have coached the team.

again I'm not an Aikman groupie but he's so much better than Romo that I cant believe we're even having this discussion. Name 1 (just 1) big game Romo won in his whole career. Aikman was 11-4 in the playoffs with 3 sb wins.
the fact you think Romo is on the same level as Aikman is amazing
By your logic, John Gesek was better than Zack Martin.

Even Aikman admits this. He understands.

fredp22

Reaction score
By your logic, John Gesek was better than Zack Martin.
Even Aikman admits this. He understands.

nothing against u erod, I usually agree with u but I'm not letting u get away with this one.

Aikman admits what? he understands what?
I love when people type stuff like they know something but are really saying absolutely nothing.

Re Gesek I liked him but wont say hes better just because the team was so ur analogy is off

Romo was a good qb-not great. Not even close to being great. He couldnt win when he had to
you keep avoiding the question- Can u name an important game that Romo had to win where he came through? I can rattle off a few for Aikman if u want

fredp22

Reaction score

34 is not to old. re Aikman being part of later Cowboy teams-yes he could have won at least one of them if not both. They were 12 and 13 win good teams. Aikman knew how to get up for a playoff games. He would also have won at least 1 of the 3 straight seasons where all Romo had to do was win the final game. Any other holder also wouldnt have froze just trying to catch a hike so Aikman may have also won that season as well.

Romo couldnt handle big game pressure. You keep trying to blame everything else but thats huge. Name a game Romo had to win where he came through

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Smarter than folks imagined until he went to the broadcasting booth. One of several good players for the Cowboys the 20+ years who never had a real chance at a playoff run because of poor management on the part of Jones & Son. Tony never played on a complete roster or for a good coach after Parcells.

Back in the day, that was my argument about Romo: that he had it upstairs, in the processing department. That, and he had a much better arm than the people on here gave him credit for.

Drew Henson was everyone's guy, for he had the "pedigree."

You don't hear that stupid word around here anymore, thanks to Tony.

Status
Not open for further replies.