Tua T. And T. Lawrence

jwitten82

Reaction score
It's gonna be an interesting off season not just for these two, but the whole league will be watching. How can any franchise offer these two a huge contract? Hopefully their teams offer them more than 30 million a year, and stop rewarding average QB play. I wish the Chargers were smart enough not to extend Herbert

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Do both teams pick up the 5th year option, which guarantees if they get injured next season, their 5th year is paid at the average of the top 5 or so QBs. Probably around $40M+?

Reaction score
It's gonna be an interesting off season not just for these two, but the whole league will be watching. How can any franchise offer these two a huge contract? Hopefully their teams offer them more than 30 million a year, and stop rewarding average QB play. I wish the Chargers were smart enough not to extend Herbert
These days, apparently, it takes about 8 years before a QB gets over the hump,,,

8FOR!3

Reaction score
They're essentially the same QB but Trevor is bigger, more athletic, and has more arm talent. So I could justify paying Trevor. But if I'm a team I wouldn't hand a huge contract out to Tua. And I like him, he's not bad. But I don't see any teams where he's going to go in there and improve the team. But if a team like Minny or Pittsburgh took a shot at Trevor could it pay off? Maybe, maybe not.

GINeric

Reaction score
These days, apparently, it takes about 8 years before a QB gets over the hump,,,

These days? How long did it Steve Young, Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, John Elway, Peyton Manning, etc to get over the hump?? They damn sure wasn't over the hump their first 4, 5, maybe 6 seasons.

So apparently, other quarterbacks took a while to get over the hump too THOSE days.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
It’s the cost of doing business. Will always be a bottom dweller that will be quite pleased to offer $$ if you won’t.

Can always try to trade the QB1 for a top 3 pick if you can ID a QB worth trading for. Otherwise, offer the contract with a back door and hire a QB coach and/ or O coordinator that can raise his play. Or can develop an offense around his abilities.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I hear you but it's no different than 4th round pick Dak and his extension.

Since our 90's Boys... 1992... 30 Super Bowls... and 2/3 have been won by just 7 QBS... Troy Aikman, John Elway, Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Patrick Mahomes.

The ONE-SHOT QBs are names like Steve Young, Brett Favre, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers.

I think this is the one thing the Dak critics don't get. Who you gonna replace him with? No difference from a 4th round Dak to a 1st round Tua or Lawrence. Not good enough to be one of those 7 QBs, or even the one-shots, but definitely better than the hundreds of QBs who never sniff the Super Bowl.

It's HARD to find a Super Bowl clutch QB, ESPECIALLY since so much relies on things out of his control. Rest of the world is just counting on a Brad Johnson, Nick Foles or Joe Flacco.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lawrence hasn’t come close to living up to his draft hype, but he’ll likely still get paid. He’s 10 games under 500. It will be interesting to see how high Jacksonville is willing to go.

Flamma

Reaction score
They can offer them 30M, but they won't accept it. That's how QBs keep the market at the top. By not accepting anything less than market value from the team that drafted them. Even if it means they play for less someplace else.

Worse QBs than Tua have been given big extensions. There is zero doubt in my mind that Tua will be getting somewhere near 50m a year. I don't think Tua is all that great, but he's good enough for an extension.

Lawrence is a bit different. They can wait another year, just like they did with Tua.

Flamma

Reaction score
Lawrence hasn’t come close to living up to his draft hype, but he’ll likely still get paid. He’s 10 games under 500. It will be interesting to see how high Jacksonville is willing to go.
Well, what's the low end of market value for QBs now? Is it still around 40-45? Do you think they'll pay him this offseason?

1942willys

Reaction score
Have to give Lawrence a pass on his first year because of the Urban Meyer Fiasco. So I would not hold those losses against him.
I think they pick up the option but do not extend him until they see if he can take another step forward.

1942willys

Reaction score
Tua has shown to be streaky. He can be brilliant for a number of games and then lose steam
And there is always that looming worry about another severe concussion and what that might mean

joseephuss

Reaction score
Do both teams pick up the 5th year option, which guarantees if they get injured next season, their 5th year is paid at the average of the top 5 or so QBs. Probably around $40M+?
The articles I've read project the 5th year option salary to be around $21 million to $25 million.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The articles I've read project the 5th year option salary to be around $21 million to $25 million.
Yes, you are correct. Looks like the 5th year option for QBs will be around $25M for those meeting the playing time requirement, $30M for those who went to 1 pro bowl.

vlad

Reaction score
This is a crazy league. Stroud looks like the future, maybe the present, just straight monster, but it’s not crazy to think this might be as far here he ever gets. I don’t see that but just saying it’s possible.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Lawrence will be fine
I cant believe I saw Herberts name in this thread
smh

TheHerd

Reaction score
You can’t win without a QB. Any average QB coming up for contract will set the new high. It’s the league paradigm.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Have to give Lawrence a pass on his first year because of the Urban Meyer Fiasco. So I would not hold those losses against him.
I think they pick up the option but do not extend him until they see if he can take another step forward.
His numbers regressed from last season. He had fewer yards and TDs and threw 6 more INTs. Plus after making the playoffs last season the Jags are sitting home this year. It’s leaving them with a dilemma unless Lawrence really steps up next season. If he starts looking for $50M and his numbers continue where they are and the wins aren’t coming, good luck.

Reaction score
These days? How long did it Steve Young, Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, John Elway, Peyton Manning, etc to get over the hump?? They damn sure wasn't over the hump their first 4, 5, maybe 6 seasons.

So apparently, other quarterbacks took a while to get over the hump too THOSE days.
You were saying?

Steve Young reaches NFC Championship in his 4th year
Kurt Warner = 3rd year
Drew Brees = 6th year
Peyton = 6th year
Elway = 4th. year