Turnovers are player problems not coaching problems

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Jerry said it well last week “when we plan for a game we don’t plan to turn it over at midfield twice”

If you can’t trust your all pro WR to make an easy catch, your 4th year QB to see the field and your NFL kicker to focus on FGs under 40 yards, then I don’t know what game plan you come up with.

Now defensively I think we’ve all been in agreement for years that the team is in desperate need of front line DTs. Saints showed when you can control the game with your front 4, the whole game is different. If not, then scheme better.

offensively players just have to pick it up. The plays are being called well and there’s tons of yards available but player inflicted problems are killing the team

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry said it well last week “when we plan for a game we don’t plan to turn it over at midfield twice”

If you can’t trust your all pro WR to make an easy catch, your 4th year QB to see the field and your NFL kicker to focus on FGs under 40 yards, then I don’t know what game plan you come up with.

Now defensively I think we’ve all been in agreement for years that the team is in desperate need of front line DTs. Saints showed when you can control the game with your front 4, the whole game is different. If not, then scheme better.

offensively players just have to pick it up. The plays are being called well and there’s tons of yards available but player inflicted problems are killing the team

Then don't reward those plAyers with top money when it comes to contracts....

Sydla

Reaction score
I do agree with this to some level however, if a team continually turns the ball over a lot (which I am not saying we have done) game to game, that can be as much a coaching/preparation issue as a player issue.

I don't think we have great coaching by any stretch but the fumbles last week and the interceptions today were not coaching issues. They were just bad plays by key players.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

The defense is a non aggressive style defense that rarely blitzes the QB. At this point, you can no longer say its JUST the players.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I do agree with this to some level however, if a team continually turns the ball over a lot (which I am not saying we have done) game to game, that can be as much a coaching/preparation issue as a player issue.

100% agree. One game with uncharacteristic turnovers can be chalked up to an anomaly. Doing it on a regular basis can come down to lack of discipline on the coaches part

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
From the defensive point of view. There were a handful of plays today when one of our defenders chased down the ball carrier from behind and I’m thinking go for the ball, swipe at it, try to punch it out and they just go for the tackle. Specifically I can remember Armstrong, LVE had opportunities and it’s like they didn’t even try. That is how the NO defender caused Wittens fumble last week. Our guys just don’t have that instinct.

Sydla

Reaction score
Are takeaways a coaching problem or player problem?

For us?

I think it's a coaching/scheme problem.

We are a passive, read and react, bend but don't break defense. Softer zones, keep the ball in front of you, little blitzing, etc. It should surprise no one that a passive defense like ours doesn't generate turnovers consistently. The Packers have nearly a dozen turnovers in 5 games.............. that's largely because they play more aggressively than we do - the aren't afraid to play a lot of man with their DBs, and they attacked the edges and bring pressure with blitzes, etc. They may give up a crap ton of yards but they offset that with sacks and turnovers. We don't get sacks or turnovers and let teams eat up yardage and clock. It's maddening.

If Garrett somehow survives this, they absolutely need to clean house on the defensive side of the ball IMO. Richard and Marinelli have got to go.