Turnovers are player problems not coaching problems

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
It is but they would also tell you, if they are honest, that it's not an easy catch and that you are going to miss some of those as well. It's why you insist on accuracy from your QB. I mean, if those were automatic, then it wouldn't be important that you have a QB who is highly accurate. It is what it is, we have all missed catches and we've all been told that if you can get a hand on it, then you better catch it. Hell, I've told players that more times then I care to admit. But that wasn't an easy catch IMO.
:hammer:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What I'm saying is that coaching DOES matter when it comes to turnovers. When a coach practices turnover drills, practices players holding onto the ball and emphasizes discipline, he has a direct impact on the turnover factor.
How many fumbles did we have today? The defense needs to work on stripping the ball and looking for the ball in the air, that's true, but there are also risks to that. How many times have you seen runners get extra yardage because the defender was trying to strip the ball, instead of making the tackle? How many times have you seen a DB turn to look for the ball, only to have the receiver either stop and get a PI, or change direction and get wide open?

During the course of a regular game, when the score is close or we're ahead, I prefer they make the tackles, and stay with the receivers. When we need to catch up, as we did today, the D needs to be more aggressive.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
How many fumbles did we have today? The defense needs to work on stripping the ball and looking for the ball in the air, that's true, but there are also risks to that. How many times have you seen runners get extra yardage because the defender was trying to strip the ball, instead of making the tackle? How many times have you seen a DB turn to look for the ball, only to have the receiver either stop and get a PI, or change direction and get wide open?

During the course of a regular game, when the score is close or we're ahead, I prefer they make the tackles, and stay with the receivers. When we need to catch up, as we did today, the D needs to be more aggressive.
Still, the coaches have a part in teaching how to prevent turnovers. The players have the ultimate responsibility, but coaches play their part too.
There's a reason Johnson's, Belichick's and Parcell's teams were among the least penalized and the most efficient, and that's because those coaches were great teachers and motivators.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It hit him in the shoulder he needs to catch it

OK, I don't think it was an easy catch to make but whatever the case, it was clearly not a good throw. that ball was at best, of his back shoulder and it should have been two feet in front of him.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
OK, I don't think it was an easy catch to make but whatever the case, it was clearly not a good throw. that ball was at best, of his back shoulder and it should have been two feet in front of him.
It literally hit the wr's body.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Still, the coaches have a part in teaching how to prevent turnovers. The players have the ultimate responsibility, but coaches play their part too.
There's a reason Johnson's, Belichick's and Parcell's teams were among the least penalized and the most efficient, and that's because those coaches were great teachers and motivators.
But the problem isn't fumbles, as a rule. Our turnovers have mostly been ints, and exactly how are the coaches supposed to stop that? The receivers know how to catch the ball, and there's not much you can teach them in that regard, so the only thing left is the QB........and they've been working hard with him. Today he was pressured, and he seemed to revert back to sloppy footwork and somewhat panicky decisions. I don't see how that was on the coaches.

Big_D

Reaction score
It’s year 10. lol sloppy play is sloppy play. Either you fix it or you don’t. But doing nothing changes absolutely nothing. The MO seems to be just pretending everything will be fine. The on going Dallas Cowboys saga.. stay tuned! They don’t get turnovers, can’t stop the run? That list goes on and on..

Last edited:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
But the problem isn't fumbles, as a rule. Our turnovers have mostly been ints, and exactly how are the coaches supposed to stop that? The receivers know how to catch the ball, and there's not much you can teach them in that regard, so the only thing left is the QB........and they've been working hard with him. Today he was pressured, and he seemed to revert back to sloppy footwork and somewhat panicky decisions. I don't see how that was on the coaches.
What did Parcells say? An incomplete pass is better than a sack or interception?
Furthermore, if you know your quarterback is prone throw interceptions, you bench him, change the game plan or teach him to become a better quarterback.
Either way, the coach is still involved.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What did Parcells say? An incomplete pass is better than a sack or interception?
Furthermore, if you know your quarterback is prone throw interceptions, you bench him, change the game plan or teach him to become a better quarterback.
Either way, the coach is still involved.
Bench him?...and put who in at QB? I already said they've been working with him, trying to make him better. Today's interceptions were an anomaly, I think we can agree on that, given Dak's track record, and of the three, one should've been caught, and one probably should have gotten a PI called, and if not for the PI, Gallup might've been in the right place to catch it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Bench him?...and put who in at QB? I already said they've been working with him, trying to make him better. Today's interceptions were an anomaly, I think we can agree on that, given Dak's track record, and of the three, one should've been caught, and one probably should have gotten a PI called, and if not for the PI, Gallup might've been in the right place to catch it.
My point is that coaches play a part in players turning the ball over. That's really all I was interested in answering.
This is going afar a field.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Jerry said it well last week “when we plan for a game we don’t plan to turn it over at midfield twice”

If you can’t trust your all pro WR to make an easy catch, your 4th year QB to see the field and your NFL kicker to focus on FGs under 40 yards, then I don’t know what game plan you come up with.

Now defensively I think we’ve all been in agreement for years that the team is in desperate need of front line DTs. Saints showed when you can control the game with your front 4, the whole game is different. If not, then scheme better.

offensively players just have to pick it up. The plays are being called well and there’s tons of yards available but player inflicted problems are killing the team
Tiki Barber was a fumling machine until Tom Coughlin took over

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Parcells for life.
You make that statement?
Not a coaching problem.
Coaches have been solving turn over problems since the beginning of time.