Turpin: "I don't care because I'm not fair catching nothing. I'm being real with you — nothing."

T-RO

Reaction score
I have zero problems with Turpin's comment. He wants to ball. Wants his chance. That's all there is to read here.

As for the league...they could do much more for safety to simply require grass stadiums. But that costs money. League is run by snakes...who have ssssnazzy PR department.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Nothing was wrong with this part of the game, and it sounds like nobody really wanted this rule so did the league just push it thru without a vote?

They should be looking into the trash roughing the passer penalties that occurred far too often!

Turpin is absolutely correct with his approach, if you ever returned kicks/punts you'd understand...it takes that type of attitude to be successful at it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
.they could do much more for safety to simply require grass stadiums. But that costs money.
yeah when it comes to spending $ those owners zip up their pockets.
All stadiums should have grass, these artificial turfs cause many types of injurys.

817Gill

Reaction score
A green light to return kicks isn't sanction to ignore traffic.
Why would there be traffic when receiving a kick off? You’re gonna get a good 5-10 yards of space regardless. Guys with that speed and quickness only need that.

You live with a few dud returns for the occasional big one.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Listening to Talkin Cowboys podcast yesterday, I was surprised to hear how confident everyone around that table was that Turpin can rest easy that his roster slot is practically guaranteed. And I like Turpin. Who doesn't like Turpin.

However, objectively, his first season was not so exceptional that he has nothing to fear. Certainly, he had some highlights, but he also had some lowlights, and worse, the lowlights were toward the end of the season. So I strongly disagree with those guys.

He can lose the job by having a fumble in preseason, or even seeming shaky--we've seen that, too.

He can also lose the job to Deuce. I know, I know. Deuce hasn't been a returner since his freshman season. But it's not the craziest thing to believe he could turn some heads as a return man if/when given the chance in preseason.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Listening to Talkin Cowboys podcast yesterday, I was surprised to hear how confident everyone around that table was that Turpin can rest easy that his roster slot is practically guaranteed. And I like Turpin. Who doesn't like Turpin.

However, objectively, his first season was not so exceptional that he has nothing to fear. Certainly, he had some highlights, but he also had some lowlights, and worse, the lowlights were toward the end of the season. So I strongly disagree with those guys.

He can lose the job by having a fumble in preseason, or even seeming shaky--we've seen that, too.

He can also lose the job to Deuce. I know, I know. Deuce hasn't been a returner since his freshman season. But it's not the craziest thing to believe he could turn some heads as a return man if/when given the chance in preseason.
Deuce isnt even returning in OTAs. And they are working Turpin in more on offense.

Turpin got worn down after basically playing a full year of football, nonstop. And he was still a pro bowl returner. He very likely will be our returner again this year.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Deuce isnt even returning in OTAs.
"even?"

You mean, like, you put that much gravity in OTAs? Four days of OTAs.

I think we've identified the fundamental reason for any difference in our perspectives. No need to continue. :)

I wish you well.

Rayman70

Reaction score
And that's why I said the new rules will cause more injury,not less. It changes the thinking of the returner. Just look at what Turpin said. He isn't alone in that.

_sturt_

Reaction score
And that's why I said the new rules will cause more injury,not less. It changes the thinking of the returner. Just look at what Turpin said. He isn't alone in that.
But think about it... most all kickers most all of the time get the ball to the end zone, or at least beyond the 5 yard line. Good KRs traditionally average something in the neighborhood of 22-23 yards, iirc.

They're going to be coached to fair catch the vast amount of the time, and regardless of what Turpin or any of them say away from the field, there's going to be some undesirable consequences for those who don't most of the time accept what they've been coached to do.

I'm not the first to say... and probably it's been said in this thread, but I haven't read... we likely can look forward to more kickers trying to become more proficient at long-range squib kicks that force the returner to track down the ball, and hoping obviously to see more drives start at or behind the 20. I have no clue whether that's plausible as a matter of routine, but if so, would ironically bring back the kick return to the game rather than mostly eliminating it.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
"even?"

You mean, like, you put that much gravity in OTAs? Four days of OTAs.

I think we've identified the fundamental reason for any difference in our perspectives. No need to continue. :)

I wish you well.
Well, for a guy whos never done it you'd think they let him take a few if they had any plans of using him there.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
College has had this rule since 2018. Returns did go down.

Im sure the strategy will be game to game. Depending on the kicker and quality of kickoff units.

Turpin will do what hes told to do.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Freshman season.

As I just said, you would. Four OTA days apparently is a lot to you.

But no, I would not. I would think that can wait for real practices beginning in Oxnard. That's me. Not you.
Never returned punts. Only a handful of KOs.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I have zero problems with Turpin's comment. He wants to ball. Wants his chance. That's all there is to read here.

As for the league...they could do much more for safety to simply require grass stadiums. But that costs money. League is run by snakes...who have ssssnazzy PR department.
He may not call for fair catch on a kickoff - not sure who ever has - but he'll just let it land in the endzone like it does on almost every kick. He had 21 KO returns last year.

The kickoff was already dead.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Never returned punts. Only a handful of KOs.
True. And true.

No question.

The question, as originally written, was/is "Can Turpin assume the job is his?"

The answer proposed is, it is his to lose. If we assume (a) no fumbles in preseason, (b) no chronic shakiness in preseason, and (c) no competition from Deuce in preseason, he's golden.

If any two of those cannot be checked off, though, he's going to lose his job. KR/PRs are not unlike Ks... once they think you're vulnerable to bad outcomes, they're going to look at other options. Not telling you anything you don't know... that's the slickest slide in the meritocracy that is the NFL.

And so, if you're telling me that Deuce won't even get a look back there, period? I'll take that bet. Generally, in any camp, even if you have an established K, you're going to have at least one other K getting some reps. Generally, in any camp, even if you have an established KR/PR, you're going to get, not just one, but two or three other guys some reps.

And tying a bow on it... we all have good reason to believe they're going to be looking for some way to justify Deuce making the roster.

Don't slip up, KaVonte. Listen to your coaching, but don't let them think you're in passive mode. Be aggressive. Let them know no one's taking your job.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
True. And true.

No question.

The question, as originally written, was/is "Can Turpin assume the job is his?"

The answer proposed is, it is his to lose. If we assume (a) no fumbles in preseason, (b) no chronic shakiness in preseason, and (c) no competition from Deuce in preseason, he's golden.

If any two of those cannot be checked off, though, he's going to lose his job. KR/PRs are not unlike Ks... once they think you're vulnerable to bad outcomes, they're going to look at other options. Not telling you anything you don't know... that's the slickest slide in the meritocracy that is the NFL.

And so, if you're telling me that Deuce won't even get a look back there, period? I'll take that bet. Generally, in any camp, even if you have an established K, you're going to have at least one other K getting some reps. Generally, in any camp, even if you have an established KR/PR, you're going to get, not just one, but two or three other guys some reps.

And tying a bow on it... we all have good reason to believe they're going to be looking for some way to justify Deuce making the roster.

Don't slip up, KaVonte. Listen to your coaching, but don't let them think you're in passive mode. Be aggressive. Let them know no one's taking your job.
Dont disagree with any of that. All I pointed out was that they werent giving Deuce any looks back there. I did read that this week, for KO returns, Turpin, Davis and Deuce were back there.

I still think Turpin wins both jobs by a considerable margin. And hopefully he contributes a little something as WR6.

As far as finding a spot for Deuce? Im fine if he EARNS a spot. If Jerry hands him a spot just to keep the feel good story alive, I'll be pissed.

First thing Sproles told Deuce was that he needed to excel as a returner. If he cant beat out Turpin, then he'll be very hard pressed to make the team. As Ive said all along.

coult44

Reaction score
Well, let's see, since he's "not fair catching nothing", that means he's fair catching something.

Anyone else think he just sounds really dumb in this statement?
Not, don’t and nothing, all in the same sentence. Yes , thank God for football.