Turpin: "I don't care because I'm not fair catching nothing. I'm being real with you — nothing."

kskboys

Reaction score
Well, let's see, since he's "not fair catching nothing", that means he's fair catching something.

Anyone else think he just sounds really dumb in this statement?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They need to practice and get better at KO coverage in blocking assignments. Give Turpin the chance for better returns.
If all they do is fair catch. Then why waste a roster spot. May as well put a sure hands guy back there such as CeeDee to catch it.

Then find a PR in one of the RB's or WR's. As most of them are fair caught as well.

Use Turpin's roster spot for an extra depth somewhere else.

conner01

Reaction score
he averaged 24.19 last season.imo we are better off fair catching it every time if they keep the new rule.
Depends on where you catch it. If it’s at the 5 and you return it 24 that’s a net gain

erod

Reaction score
As much as I hate this, it makes sense now to fair catch all kickoffs because, even if you break one beyond the 30, there's an 87% chance it'll get called back for a block in the back, and you start from your own 11 yard line.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Guys get hurt in football routinely, and it seems to hardly ever be on a kickoff.

Not sure why they are so adamant about trying to eliminate it, other than it’s a defense if they are sued. Guess that’s the reason.

Unfortunately it’s part of the lingo of the game itself.

“Noon kickoff” means something. “Noon first snap” doesn’t work, but I wouldn’t wager against seeing that in our lifetime.

You see we are inching closer.

conner01

Reaction score
If that’s the case, then it’s time to find a new direction for your special teams coach.
Why? Lots of returns were brought out of the endzone by teams last year which could have been a fair catch already
If you think you can get a few more yards it’s worth the risk. If your return guy is a good returner

conner01

Reaction score
Guys get hurt in football routinely, and it seems to hardly ever be on a kickoff.

Not sure why they are so adamant about trying to eliminate it, other than it’s a defense if they are sued. Guess that’s the reason.

“Noon kickoff” means something. “Noon first snap” doesn’t work, but I wouldn’t wager against seeing that in our lifetime.

KO has historically been the highest number of concussions per play. It dropped when they made the last rule change and I suspect it will drop again. Though teams will still return kicks. Teams returned kicks from inside the endzone last year when basically the same rule would have been in effect

BlindFaith

Reaction score
With this new rule, Id like to see more line drive kick offs. Ive never kicked, but seems like something they could do. Just drill it flat and squibly, down to the 5 or so. Force them to field it and return it.

fivetwos

Reaction score
KO has historically been the highest number of concussions per play. It dropped when they made the last rule change and I suspect it will drop again. Though teams will still return kicks. Teams returned kicks from inside the endzone last year when basically the same rule would have been in effect
I’ve heard of that….it’s just I don’t really recall much of our guys getting concussions on kickoffs lately.

Maybe we are just lucky.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so from my understanding if i kick the ball to the 5 yard line and you call fair catch you get the ball on the 25?

if so then thats REALLY stupid
The league wants to eliminate kick off returns. The average starting field position last year was the 25.1 yard line.

Well, the league knows the backlash it will get if it eliminates kickoffs. But they want to reduce injuries. Their studies show this new rule will reduce injuries on kickoffs by 15%.

So the end result is this new rule. As a fan I agree with you. But looking at it from the leagues perspective, I get it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well, let's see, since he's "not fair catching nothing", that means he's fair catching something.

Anyone else think he just sounds really dumb in this statement?
No but you sound pompous with this take.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Several coaches have expressed their disagreement with this rule.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I hate this time of year. A nothing comment, but let's argue about it.

I'm going outside. Have fun.