TV ratings continuing to fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

erod

Reaction score
The NFL players are hurting their pocketbooks.

CBA negotiations, when it comes to money, are very closely tied to ratings and revenue. Ratings bring premium rates for advertising, thus revenue for TV contracts and all that implies.

Last night's kickoff opener was down 12% from the ratings of a year ago. Ratings were already down last year.

I suggest the players get off their butt and stand for the anthem, and stop trying to be social justice warriors. That is, if they don't want to see their checks shrink next CBA.

People are developing a cold shoulder toward athletes. If they want that golden egg, they'd better stop punching the goose.

On a personal note, I can feel my interest waning. I NEVER thought I'd say that about the NFL. Stop preaching to me, and play football.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/patriots-chiefs-nfl-kickoff-game-ratings-down-nbc-1202163914/

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

CBA negotiations, when it comes to money, are very closely tied to ratings and revenue. Ratings bring premium rates for advertising, thus revenue for TV contracts and all that implies.

Last night's kickoff opener was down 12% from the ratings of a year ago. Ratings were already down last year.

I suggest the players get off their butt and stand for the anthem, and stop trying to be social justice warriors. That is, if they don't want to see their checks shrink next CBA.

People are developing a cold shoulder toward athletes. If they want that golden egg, they'd better stop punching the goose.

On a personal note, I can feel my interest waning. I NEVER thought I'd say that about the NFL. Stop preaching to me, and play football.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/patriots-chiefs-nfl-kickoff-game-ratings-down-nbc-1202163914/
:clap:

Beats_By_Zeke

Reaction score

I agree with the preaching part. It is very evident in today's NFL. I watch Football because it is my outlet from the political bull that goes on in todays world. Ever since that Super Bowl in San Francisco, it's harder for me to turn on the games. I don't see it gettin better.

SHAMSzy

Reaction score
I believe the league is more responsible for the downward trend than the players.

This Zeke BS is Exhibit A of why the NFL is ****. Their agenda is to "protect the shield", but their actions consistently throw dirt on it. Why are you constantly trying to criminalize your own players?? They should get a clue from the NBA, where the league glorifies and promotes its players rather than belittling them.

Exhibit B) how does marijuana use still destroy an NFL players career? I'm an attorney and I am allowed to smoke pot, but guys who are going through intense physical pain are not allowed to smoke pot. Absolutely ridiculous.

perrykemp

Reaction score

It's not just the national anthem issues dragging down ratings.

The next generation of sports fan aren't as crazy about football as earlier generations. My kids grew up playing soccer. My son loves the NBA. The issues around head trauma in the NFL and football in general are taking a slow but steady toll. Beyond all that, you have massive amounts of cord cutting of cable / DirectTV / etc.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
My interest in the NFL has been declining for years, but it has nothing to do with a few guys kneeling for the anthem.

If I wanted to watch 100 passes thrown inside a building I'd watch the Arena Football League. I miss weather, grass, running the ball, and hard hits that didn't lead to penalties, fines, and suspensions. Now get off my lawn!

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Yep...totally agree. For the 1st time a really didn't care that the new NFL season kicked off yesterday. I'm looking forward to this Sunday simply because the team I love is playing but outside of that...bleh.

I didn't even join a fantasy league this year after playing for the last 7 or 8 years.

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL at the continual chatter around the national anthem protests.

Holy hell.

So you'll watch the NFL games even when some of their players are thugs and criminals off the field, but a guy does what he is legally allowed to do, protest, and that turns you off to the game?

Some of you have screwed up priorities.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Please prove that the lower rating are tied to the player protest.

You are aginst it obviously and you still watch belied your theory.

And I do like how people have turned social justice into an insult.

You can't have true justice when applying such standards. Such a discussion is for another board but true justice is blind and therefore is impossible to implement when society brings the color of one's skin or whether one has an XY or XX chromosome into the equation.

The Zeke case is a perfect example TBH.

SAboys889

Houstonboys13
Reaction score

I agree with your post. I too never thought I would lose interest in the NFL. If anything, I took it too seriously. However, the calls against the Cowboys the past few years along with the way the Zeke's issue has been handled has made me less excited about the sport.

I'm sure I'll watch the game on Sunday night and be excited. However, I haven't been watching the NFL network or ESPN, nor have I been listening to the NFL channel on satellite radio. If others are doing the same, this would be a big loss to the NFL since sponsors would not pay as much for these pre/post-game shows. I get annoyed by most of the programs, even if the Cowboys are winning. This website is my main source of information now.

The Dallas Cowboys saved the NFL’s ratings last year from being a complete disaster. If they continue their seemingly unfair practice against the Cowboys, they will lose the most important fan base they have and it may never come back as strong.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score

You actually look yourself in the mirror and like what you see huh?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Isn't the decline in ratings relative to the overall decline in tv ratings due to the current technology available and choices ? We saw the first impact of fans habits with MNF moving out of network TV.

Personally I've felt the NFL needed a correction as it's been growing at record levels for years which has inflated ticket and merchandise prices .

I think most fans would welcome a market correction in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.