TV Ratings decline

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
For a variety of reasons I watch much less sports on tv these days. Now it’s pretty much confined to the Cowboys.

And I don’t miss it in the slightest. There are so many other, usually better, ways to spend time. The leagues are in for a shock if they expect things to turn around.

catiii

Reaction score
This is foolishness. If they NFL gives the bulk of the games to some pay service they know that will be the end of the NFL. People aren't go to pay extra to watch their team play. Even if this pandemic ends soon it's going to take more than a month or so for the vast majority of people to get caught up financially. To get any of those companies like Amazon Prime or Netfix or other companies like that they first have to have cable or a dish and then pay even more to get those companies. Cable and dish companies have been losing customers because people are short on money with not working. The ONLY way the NFL will survive is if the vast bulk of their games are on a network that doesn't cost the customer anything to watch their games. I had DirecTV for years and I got injured and was off work for 5 months and I had to make some decisions so I cancelled DirecTV. This was about 5 years ago and I haven't gotten it back and don't plan to either. And no I don't have cable either.
Amazon is now trying to sell Prime members who already pay a fee, memberships to PAYTVCHANNELS to watch certain things - I can tell you what they can do with THAT idea but I think you can read my mind so I'm not banned..

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This is foolishness. If they NFL gives the bulk of the games to some pay service they know that will be the end of the NFL. People aren't go to pay extra to watch their team play. Even if this pandemic ends soon it's going to take more than a month or so for the vast majority of people to get caught up financially. To get any of those companies like Amazon Prime or Netfix or other companies like that they first have to have cable or a dish and then pay even more to get those companies. Cable and dish companies have been losing customers because people are short on money with not working. The ONLY way the NFL will survive is if the vast bulk of their games are on a network that doesn't cost the customer anything to watch their games. I had DirecTV for years and I got injured and was off work for 5 months and I had to make some decisions so I cancelled DirecTV. This was about 5 years ago and I haven't gotten it back and don't plan to either. And no I don't have cable either.
ROFL that's completely untrue.
The NFL made a killng on NFL Sunday Ticket.
That's a service people had to pay for on top of cable which was over 100 a month on average.

It's 2020 and people use apps.
The NFL will likely give someone's app a massive boost.
And local games will still be shown over the air.
That will just be purchased from a streamer who has world wide rights or sold separately by NFL.

In a potential sign of streams to come, Amazon Prime Video and Twitch will be the only places where viewers will be able to see an NFL game on December 26.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/nfl-ga...rime-video-and-twitch-in-december-1234623168/

The San Francisco 49ers-Arizona Cardinals contest will be part of a Saturday tripleheader on the day after Christmas, with the NFL Network having exclusive broadcast rights to the day’s two other games. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Detroit Lions will meet at 1PM ET and the Miami Dolphins will visit the Las Vegas Raiders at 8:15PM ET. The day’s middle game, at 4:30PM, will stream exclusively on Amazon as well as on its gaming-focused platform, Twitch.

The move is not the first streaming-centric one by the NFL. It had previously announced a wild card playoff game will be played in January, with NBCUniversal streaming platform Peacock having streaming rights and NBCU’s Telemundo controlling broadcast rights. The experiment follows similar ones by the league, which has put games on Twitter and Yahoo, sometimes on an exclusive basis.

Amazon has been established as a streaming partner for the NFL on Thursday nights, signing a multi-year agreement to complement Fox’s linear broadcasts. According to initial data, the streams have not yielded blockbuster numbers for Amazon, but as overall viewing continues to shift toward streaming, the NFL is increasingly interested in positioning itself accordingly.

Major rights deals with league broadcast partners are coming up for renewal in 2022 at a point when linear ratings continue to erode and tech giants like Google, Amazon and Apple continue to dominate the business landscape. Despite the scope and success of tech companies and their inroads in sports, most analysts expect incumbent rights holders to retain their rights, even at an expected hike in valuation.

Also on Monday, ABC and ESPN said their “Megacast” plan – a roadblock-style, multi-network broadcast pattern activated for the NFL Draft in the spring and Monday Night Football in September, would return for the NFL playoffs in January. A game in the wild-card round will be broadcast by Freeform, a move similar to one announced last spring by ViacomCBS to simulcast a playoff game on Nickelodeon along with CBS. In both cases, separate announcing teams will be deployed, with the Disney networks promising more details on the Freeform setup in the coming weeks.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Amazon is now trying to sell Prime members who already pay a fee, memberships to PAYTVCHANNELS to watch certain things - I can tell you what they can do with THAT idea but I think you can read my mind so I'm not banned..
They are selling you 3rd party solutions like HBO or Showtime at a discount.
And PPV type movies....

It's no different than Cable/Sat. You still get all Amazon based content as part of Prime which usually pays for itself in free shipping.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Everybody will have their "pet" reason on why ratings are down, for some it's the P-word for some it's the C-word for others (including me) it's because of the wide range of entertainment options that we have that our parents did not have. For example, I will watch the Cowboys games or a really good matchup of other teams, but if the game on TV is not all that great, I would honestly rather watch reruns of Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia or Drunk History, and just check my phone for score updates after every episode. When I was a kid on Sundays our choices were NFL football, bowling, or some crappy movie from the early 1970s - of course, it was going to be football.
That being said, as something of a historian, large-scale human movements tend to have very complicated reasons behind them that are a little bit different for everybody that is partaking in it, despite our best efforts to come up with a simple one-size-fits-all answer for the whole issue.

I would expect ratings to come back when a lot of the P-word and C-word issues are behind us, but I do think it's a long-term trend overall. Despite that, TV money will keep going up. As alluded to earlier, in relative decline terms, NFL football is still doing great. Advertisers don't get my eyeballs when I am watching Sunny episodes for the fourth time on HULU, but they sure do when the Cowboys are playing!
Drunk History is great.
"Linc-Linc-Linc... Lincoooooln!!!"

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'd love there to be a version of the broadcast that only had the field level sounds. Just the game, not some twit in the booth blabbering nonstop about **** we can see on the screen explained as if we never saw the sport before. And that would also leave out the annoying hysterical overacting every completion or 1st down like it's a homerun.

catiii

Reaction score
They are selling you 3rd party solutions like HBO or Showtime at a discount.
And PPV type movies....

It's no different than Cable/Sat. You still get all Amazon based content as part of Prime which usually pays for itself in free shipping.
Better to rent the things that aren't free as opposed to another monthly fee, discount or not. I've never paid for cable or dish or whatever and I won't now even at a so-called discount. All those monthly fees add up which is why it's such a money suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.