FEATURED Twitter: Kellen Moore will call plays per McCarthy

Gaede

Reaction score
Yes I heard that also. Also heard that Garrett put a leash on what Moore can or cannot call. Mainly Moore was forced to his the Garrett playbook rather than rely on his own creativity.

I believe that Garrett restricted Moore. But there's no way he was calling plays. We all watched the games and Moore was visibly calling plays. At no point was Garrett talking into a headset, consulting a play sheet, or anything. There's no possible way he called any plays unless him and Dak and/or Moore have a telepathic connection and Garrett also called plays from memory.

The reason for the inconsistency on offense was it was Moore's first time as a playcaller. He was inexperienced and was likely thinking play to play, rather than approaching the entire game with a cohesive strategy. Reactive rather than proactive. Which bit us in the butt vs. better coaches. Making things worse was his boss was extremely conservative and likely wanted Kellen to hold back on some ideas, because they were philosophically different than his own ideas. It's pretty simple. We've all worked for a boss who is wrong in some way, and while you may disagree, you make their instructions work with what you know is right, because your job=money.

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He would be HC overseeing everything. He will be putting in place his system and his coordinators and assistant coaches will be in charge of carrying out his system.

This is what Garrett did.

To be fair, most of them do this.

delegate.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I believe that Garrett restricted Moore. But there's no way he was calling plays. We all watched the games and Moore was visibly calling plays. At no point was Garrett talking into a headset, consulting a play sheet, or anything. There's no possible way he called any plays unless him and Dak and/or Moore have a telepathic connection and Garrett also called plays from memory.

The reason for the inconsistency on offense was it was Moore's first time as a playcaller. He was inexperienced and was likely thinking play to play, rather than approaching the entire game with a cohesive strategy. Reactive rather than proactive. Which bit us in the butt vs. better coaches. Making things worse was his boss was extremely conservative and likely wanted Kellen to hold back on some ideas, because they were philosophically different than his own ideas. It's pretty simple. We've all worked for a boss who is wrong in some way, and while you may disagree, you make their instructions work with what you know is right, because your job=money.
I hear ya but there were a few games where you KNOW JG called them. Had his name written all over it.

So "maybe" Kellen will be his own man now and be different. Shed as much of Garrett off as he can

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is what Garrett did.

To be fair, most of them do this.

delegate.

That is what Jimmy Johnson did. Norv called offense and people like Wanstead and Butch Davis called defense, Jimmy was not calling any of the plays. HC is the boss and all aspect of this team fall on him.

nobody

Reaction score
I hear ya but there were a few games where you KNOW JG called them. Had his name written all over it.

So "maybe" Kellen will be his own man now and be different. Shed as much of Garrett off as he can

If not, let's hope MM strips him of playcalling until he gets all the Gutless Vanilla Garrett taint out of his system.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Moore will be McCarthy man. McCarthy knows the offensive system he wants to put in place and it will be Moore job to carry out what McCarthy expects.

glimmerman

Reaction score
lets step back and wait what happens. We got a long way to go yet.
I agree just makes me wonder why he wouldn’t bring in his system. I was under the impression that his DC runs a 3-4 but he is gonna stay with a 4-3. MM always called his own plays and yet he is keeping Moore and he is calling the plays under the old system. Please change some plays. Or at least start a transition slowly. Maybe that’s what they are doing. We have the players to get it done.

DEA_dad

Reaction score
Problem is I need to get on that payroll, can I be “VP of Drinking Operations”

dallas_cowboys-909.jpg

Do you see the problem folks?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I agree just makes me wonder why he wouldn’t bring in his system. I was under the impression that his DC runs a 3-4 but he is gonna stay with a 4-3. MM always called his own plays and yet he is keeping Moore and he is calling the plays under the old system. Please change some plays. Or at least start a transition slowly. Maybe that’s what they are doing. We have the players to get it done.

MM said the "terminology" remains the same-- but it will be in his WCO system. So--- new system?Yes. Same names for route combinations, hot reads, player roles etc...? Yes.

All this does is make the transition from one offensive system to another easier for Dak and Kellen-- and it shows some wisdom and good management understanding from MM. IMO-- this does not mean he is a "puppet". He is working with a bright young offensive mind in Kellen and he is wanting quick ROI from his QB that will be running a new offense for the first time in 4+ years.

On defense? Not sure. That unit has much more fluidity heading into 2020 than the offense. Nolan's scheme seems more aggressive-- but you can't just ignore mediocre results for most of his career. It makes sense to stay 4-3 considering our personnel, and I like the sounds of "multiple fronts"-- BUT-- question marks will remain until we see the product on the field.

I feel great about the offense under MM and KM. I feel ecstatic about special teams under Fassel. I feel really apprehensive about the defense under Nolan. Jus an underwhelming direction to take with a unit that is so badly in need of fixing.

Gaede

Reaction score

Those games he didn't call plays though. Whether we believe it or not, it was right there on the broadcast. Moore with the play sheet speaking into the headset.

I do believe for the tougher games Jason instructed Moore to call a close game and play not to lose, but he clearly wasn't calling each individual play. NO was the first example for sure, where we reverted to Jason's ultraconservative gameplan. But Moore was still the guy making the calls.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The problem is that we’ve seen this scenario throughout the league where the Coordinator gets the blame and the HC escapes all blame and eventually the HC ends up having to call the plays anyways.

It’s McCarthys offense and he should be calling the plays.

McCarthy as a clapper I do not like.

He talked a big game about how he was going to be different now let’s see it and be able,to quantify somehow through playcalling.

If anything this will hide McCarthy and allow for an excuse.
MM hasn’t even coached a game and the haters are already out in force. Haters gonna hate. It’s what they do.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
1. Garrett never called the plays for Moore. Silly fan guesses. We never even saw timeouts prior to play calls, which is what you’d see if Jason heard a play and wanted to change it. Garrett did not have the authority to call plays, not even after he asked for it. Plays work = Moore. Plays don’t work = Garrett took over....Stupid. Sometimes Moore, like every OC, made stupid calls. Sometimes players didn’t execute and win.

2. The main thing McCarthy has to do is influence the red zone calls with better game planning and adjustments.

3. Defense? Realistically, how could a defense which gave the offense a 16 game starting field position close to the 25 yard line be any worse no matter what they do?

blueblood70

Reaction score
that's exactly how i got the same impression too. The calls will go thru to Kellen for him to call them out, but it will still be MM's offense.
and him calling the shots in how we play..

but i do wonder if MM will be very open to KM's suggested input though as it seems to be something about Kellen that influenced
MM to keep him around as OC, .. ala pre-snap motion, RPO formations, pace and tempo, continuing rapport with Dak, etc.
Is Kellen part of the new innovative expansion that even McCarthy is seeking at improving himself ?
I think MM is keeping an open mind and will give KM a chance to be the primary playcaller with a lot of input on play design as they have an entire off season to get it hashed out but with close eye and quick hook if it KM looks shaky..

blueblood70

Reaction score
it was broken, thats the point. that #1 offense had a ton of empty yards
it wasn't broken it simply had some areas to get better in but dont you think after a year of calling plays and an offseason to go back and reflect KM will not get better? also with MM as his new tutor and many other things that it will be even better this season.

it wasn't just yards the offense was very good sure the results were flawed as in bigger games it didnt do as well but great defenses happen to do that to a lot of teams..IE every team plays a soft part for their schedule and a harder part, in the end it ranks them all as a 16game average so its not like only the DC offense performed differently ..seriously all teams go through a similar up and down production and they all then get ranked when its all said and done..

the offense ranked 1st in yards 1st in passing yards, 4th in points , 5th in rushing..thats a great year yes stat wise shows we can move the ball, thats pretty balanced so KM did a pretty good job as an OC not just a first year OC.. we know the truth as other teams do..

you realize the real reason we lost most of the games in 2019 was defense and specials teams some bad coaching decsions so Offense was 4th on the list ie last in the 3 phases..im more interested on how we improve defense and ST, taking too long to get rid of Maher was some of the issues on ST etc

Offense will be fine...

TheTruthIsOutThere

Reaction score
My expectations are lower now, Moore needed to go and now they are putting a guy in charge of an offense he knows nothing about.

pansophy

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised because I would have swore MM said in an interview he would not give up play calling and then this comes about. I like everything hes done with bringing in his own guys but im unsure about why he would give up play calling to a guy he didnt bring in. I hope this move is really his doing and not some b.s. play by Jerry persuading him to do so.
I remember hearing that in the King interview as well, though I think that was in the context of helping coaches develop versus what’s best for the team. Recall he also said the guy installing the offense during the week needs to call the plays and that he thinks about the program 3x as much as offense.

He may realize he has a lot to do to build the program how he wants it and won’t have time to also install the offense each week. Plus, We are about to change the offense on Dak just as we sign him to a long term deal. I would keep as much the same for Dak as possible. That’s why the language is staying the same, it will just be new plays, and build on the relationship with Dak and Moore. It’s not like the offense was bad.

glimmerman

Reaction score
MM said the "terminology" remains the same-- but it will be in his WCO system. So--- new system?Yes. Same names for route combinations, hot reads, player roles etc...? Yes.

All this does is make the transition from one offensive system to another easier for Dak and Kellen-- and it shows some wisdom and good management understanding from MM. IMO-- this does not mean he is a "puppet". He is working with a bright young offensive mind in Kellen and he is wanting quick ROI from his QB that will be running a new offense for the first time in 4+ years.

On defense? Not sure. That unit has much more fluidity heading into 2020 than the offense. Nolan's scheme seems more aggressive-- but you can't just ignore mediocre results for most of his career. It makes sense to stay 4-3 considering our personnel, and I like the sounds of "multiple fronts"-- BUT-- question marks will remain until we see the product on the field.

I feel great about the offense under MM and KM. I feel ecstatic about special teams under Fassel. I feel really apprehensive about the defense under Nolan. Jus an underwhelming direction to take with a unit that is so badly in need of fixing.
I hope our Defense is going to be aggressive. We have speed. Use it.