Twitter: Who had the better start to their career?

aikemirv

Reaction score
Because the game is different. I am not certain how you are but in todays games, you have way more snaps on Offense then you ever did, even when Emmitt played. The Defenses today are really not built to stop the run. They are built to defend the pass. The Defenses that Emmitt played against when he was coming up were just different. Was a much more physical game in those days. You could target the football with your helmet, you could target the head, you could actually target the center and play him heads up on the snap. You could gang tackle. You could actually finish off ball carriers. So many things are different now in how the game is actually played, that effect the stats.
While the game is different, I think a Garrett run team is a 90's based philosophy so I think it is comparable.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Why can't you compare rushing numbers between now and the 90s? The season is still 16 games and rushing rules are virtually the same, sans lowering your head which changed last year. If it was related to the passing game I would agree with you as PI and what defenders can do is a lot different.

But rushing efficiency is not remotely the same, same with total TDs.

The average yard per carry in 1994 was 3.7125, the average yards per carry last season was 4.35. If you compare that to 1994 that's a 17.17% increase in average efficiency. If you use Emmitt's 4.5 yards per carry, you would expect Zeke to rush for 5.27 yards per carry.

Emmitt had more TDs. This is despite the teams last year scoring 2.6 touchdowns per game, and only 2.28 TDs per game in 1994. Zeke should have had 57 rushing TDs.

HanD

Reaction score
Emmitt and Zeke shouldn’t be compared. Zeke is the Tin Man compared to Emmitt...no heart.

the separated shoulder giants game is forever my favorite memory.....

zeke averages more touches per game than emmitt did in that graphic. so tin man is a bit harsh imo....

not sure anyone will ever have the durability and longevity that emmitt had though.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think both are outstanding RB. I think some of the comments of Zeke having no heart? give me a break the team puts a major load on him in terms of carries.

John813

Reaction score
Seems like both have had very good starts to their respective careers.
We know how Emmitt's career ended, can Zeke maintain it or will he decline in a short time like most backs do?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
While the game is different, I think a Garrett run team is a 90's based philosophy so I think it is comparable.

I don't see that at all. The Defenses, themselves, are just different. You are running, for the most part, against soft fronts, designed more for pressuring against the pass and covering. I don't agree but if that's your opinion, that's fine.

dckid

Reaction score
*waits for the ignorant “Emmitt had two rings” comment*
The guess you never watched Emmit play in n a game per game basis.
Emmit was head and shoulders above Zeke, it’s. It even close. Zeke can never even make a guy miss once he is in the open field.
Emmit carries the team and was super clutch along with being automatic within the 10 yard line.
Emmit also held out his rookie year and had less than 1000 yards.
First player to lead the league the league in rushing and win the SB.
League MVP and SB MVP.
This is actually a stupid discussion.

The Natural

Reaction score
Emmitt- 3 rushing titles
Zeke- 2

Because that matters to people here, like the OP.
You could argue Zeke would have 3 rushing titles too if not for a witch hunt. You could also argue Zeke would have two rings playing on those teams and that Emmitt would have zero under Garrett. None of us knows and I dont have a comment on the player comparison between the two. Just saying these are valid arguments.

HanD

Reaction score
True, but one advantage Emmitt had was having Moose as blocking back for so many years

Having said that Zeke is blessed with better physical attributes than Emmitt so IMO Emmitts Intangibles were special

I like Zeke, but if I had to make a choice it’s Emmitt all day

i agree, emmitt is my favorite of all time but while zeke has better physical attributes, so do the defenses he's playing against these days....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except for TD's looks like Zeke is ahead by a nose. If he can hold up I think there is a chance the Cowboys could have the top 2 rushers in the history of the NFL !

Emmitt had heart no doubt. Zeke wants it too ... bad. If you can't watch the games and see it maybe get some new glasses.
Start of career and entire career are very different things though. Keeping up with Emmitt at the beginning is the easy part.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Just think had Ewok not been suspended 6 games. But that doesn't really matter being his numbers took a landslide in 2019 after big pay day anyway.

He'll NEVER be Dallas's all-time rusher after those 2 debacles
against him already.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
The guess you never watched Emmit play in n a game per game basis.
Emmit was head and shoulders above Zeke, it’s. It even close. Zeke can never even make a guy miss once he is in the open field.
Emmit carries the team and was super clutch along with being automatic within the 10 yard line.
Emmit also held out his rookie year and had less than 1000 yards.
First player to lead the league the league in rushing and win the SB.
League MVP and SB MVP.
This is actually a stupid discussion.
1. i never stated who I think had the better start

2. the fact that zeke “can never make a guy miss in the open field” and yet can still put up the numbers he has, is amazing

3. LOL at thinking Zeke doesnt carry this team

4. Regardless of how many games Emmitt missed as a rookie, Zeke still averaged more ypc

Its close. Oh yea and there was this