Twitter: Will McClay Interview

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
I listened to most of the interview and while a lot of it was pretty generic the biggest thing that stood out to me was his response to what kind of players McCarthy would be looking for. He said it was a "breath of fresh air" that McCarthy told him to just find him good football players and they would worry about putting them in position to succeed and scheming to success afterwords. Without directly saying it he basically confirmed the previous staff was too worried about finding players that fit their scheme rather than the other way around.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I always like to hear Will McClays thoughts on team building and talent.

we’re really fortunate to have him. We lost his two top scouts this year so hopefully he still has the help he needs to keep doing the solid work he’s known for.

conner01

Reaction score
I listened to most of the interview and while a lot of it was pretty generic the biggest thing that stood out to me was his response to what kind of players McCarthy would be looking for. He said it was a "breath of fresh air" that McCarthy told him to just find him good football players and they would worry about putting them in position to succeed and scheming to success afterwords. Without directly saying it he basically confirmed the previous staff was too worried about finding players that fit their scheme rather than the other way around.
Sounds like scheme or need
I think will really does believe in BPA at a position of need but not necessarily the biggest need if it’s not the best player on the board
I think we reached on taco and hill because of need when you had a need at safety and he was the best player

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This was Wade’s approach as well. I prefer the tighter coordination with coaches to find guys who fit what you want to do. Hard to argue with the recent draft results.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This was Wade’s approach as well. I prefer the tighter coordination with coaches to find guys who fit what you want to do. Hard to argue with the recent draft results.
Tighter coordination gives you bust like Taco and Hill.

I would prefer the coaches to not be overruling the scouts in the draft room like Old man Rod was doing. Scouts wanted T.J. Watt and were overruled.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Perfectly said.