Twitter: Will McClay Interview

Aven8

Reaction score
Heard it live myself. Seems excited about the change. Said the staff will help him what he wants. Can’t wait

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I listened to most of the interview and while a lot of it was pretty generic the biggest thing that stood out to me was his response to what kind of players McCarthy would be looking for. He said it was a "breath of fresh air" that McCarthy told him to just find him good football players and they would worry about putting them in position to succeed and scheming to success afterwords. Without directly saying it he basically confirmed the previous staff was too worried about finding players that fit their scheme rather than the other way around.

I’m guessing McClay doesn’t want a repeat of the TJ Watt debacle.

So done with Garrett and Maranelli.

Playmaker247

Reaction score
It sure seems like McClay and the coach decide the personnel and Jerry just signs the check lol

mattjames2010

Reaction score
While I blame the dynamic duo for plenty, this is not one of them.

That was every bit of Rod throwing his weight around.

He cant get far enough away. Good luck convincing Gruden being soft in the middle is the way to go.

What? We've been ignoring the safety position before Rod got here.

We haven't cared about the safety position since Roy Williams and we got lucky with Jay Ratliff.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...it was a breath of fresh air that McCarthy said to just find him good football players and they would worry about putting them in position to succeed and scheming to success afterwords.
If anyone has any remaining questions of McCarthy taking over for Garrett, this should end all the arguments.

Notice he said 'good football players' and not 'athletes' which I LOVE reading.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
This was Wade’s approach as well. I prefer the tighter coordination with coaches to find guys who fit what you want to do. Hard to argue with the recent draft results.

As with all I things I think there's a certain balance you have to strike. The statement I highlighted was within a couple of questions involving what McClay was doing to get to know what kinds of players McCarthy and staff are looking for. I didn't mean to imply that there'd be no coordination between McClay and the coaches. Just that maybe they'll be less likely to pass a player just because they aren't a scheme or idea fit.