Two 41-yard Hail Mary's are better than one 24-yard one

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Two shots at the end zone are always better than just one, and 41 yards isn't too far by Hail Mary standards. 24 yards is closer, yes, but I prefer two further shots than one close shot. Plus, there's always the potential for a pass interference to set up a free untimed play from the 1-yard line.

In fact, I have NEVER heard of this strategy of "run a QB draw with bare seconds remaining so you can spike the ball." Has any high school, college or pro team ever done this before last night???

HungryLion

Reaction score
Two shots at the end zone are always better than just one, and 41 yards isn't too far by Hail Mary standards. 24 yards is closer, yes, but I prefer two further shots than one close shot. Plus, there's always the potential for a pass interference to set up a free untimed play from the 1-yard line.

In fact, I have NEVER heard of this strategy of "run a QB draw with bare seconds remaining so you can spike the ball." Has any high school, college or pro team ever done this before last night???

Correct. It was one of the dumbest decisions I’ve ever seen.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Fat Mike said it was the "right call."

How this guy has a head coaching is beyond me.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Not if your quarterback can’t throw the football.

BermyStar

Reaction score

Not when you're smarter than everyone else in the stadium

DFWJC

Reaction score
I agree....unless the first 40 yarder get's picked.

Either way, that was a bizarre play call at the end.

Brax

Reaction score
I think Mike and Kellen had a play up their sleeve but needed to be around the 25 to run it. Still too risky with no timeouts. Time management is a massive weakness for this staff.
That play is still up their ............................

catskillthunder

Reaction score
I am curious to know what the analytical percentages are for this situation. I personally feel that I'd rather have 1 shot from the 24, then 2 shots from 41. Pass one from the 41 could get picked off. I dont know, arm chair QB is not really my strengths.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
With 14 seconds you could get 2 quick plays and an end zone shot off. Try and pick up 5-10 yards once or twice in a catch on the sideline which SF would have allowed to set up a 20-25 yard last try. That’s what I would have game planned. Lobbing up 2 40 yard ducks is not the best strategy when you have alternatives

goshan

Reaction score
With 14 seconds you could get 2 quick plays and an end zone shot off. Try and pick up 5-10 yards once or twice in a catch on the sideline which SF would have allowed to set up a 20-25 yard last try. That’s what I would have game planned. Lobbing up 2 40 yard ducks is not the best strategy when you have alternatives

No you couldn't. It was either two end-zone shots or do what we did (or try a quick pass over middle and spike the ball). They were not going to allow anyone to get out of bounds.

goshan

Reaction score
I am curious to know what the analytical percentages are for this situation. I personally feel that I'd rather have 1 shot from the 24, then 2 shots from 41. Pass one from the 41 could get picked off. I dont know, arm chair QB is not really my strengths.

Not sure the odds either. McCarthy said they would rather run true vertical routes (several WR) as opposed to a hail mary.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
The play call was fine with 18 seconds left. The execution at the end was NOT fine. It was a cluster. THAT’S poor coaching/preparation.

For all the kudos we give for the innovation we have on the offensive staff we have even more right to criticize the awful track record of preparation this staff has shown us. The team very often shows up not ready for the moment. Someone has to be accountable for this.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'd rather have 1 shot from the 24, where you can run a semi actual play instead of a strict jump ball scenario.

I actually like the idea of the QB draw, execution was just extremely poor on the back end. Players had no idea what was going on, i'm sure it has been practiced, but it certainly didnt look like it.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
If we had a time-out??? Great call. But San Fran probably let us do it because they knew we didn't have a time -out.

Majic

Reaction score
I believe the 49ers have had a larger number of PI calls this season as well.