Two Guys Who Should be of Real Interest to Cowboys..

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
But Pop's, Parcells has never run the 3-4 like Dick LeBeau does.. never. It's always far more conservative.

Well maybe he should dadgummit......:rolleyes:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
Playing the run and covering the TE are the main things we need out of our SOLB and Fujita convincingly showed he could do neither of those things very well.

Nevertheless, I think the SOLB needs to have good pass rush skills to take this defense to the next level and we would be foolish to overlook this in any potential draftee. The Pats got Colvin/McGinest, Chargers got Foley/Merriman and Steelers got Haggans/Porter.

It really makes a huge difference and makes it harder for the offense to concentrate on Ware because the other guy could be the one that is coming.

Lawson can drop back into coverage, was an OLB for the Wolfpack his Junior year, and he can get after the QB

but nonetheless, I think we end up taking Carpenter, cuz the Browns snatch up Lawson IMO

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
But you have to understand that Parcells is typically not a "blitzer" out of the 3-4. So why concentrate on getting a guy at the WOLB spot that's a good passer in exchange for a guy that is good against the run and in coverage?

If it's a passing down we'll probably still have Ellis to provide pass rush help.

Lawson is good at making plays in space, and chasing from the backside, and I already told Eskimo about his skills in coverage

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
They were supposely "cheap" last year too and we still ended up with Davis.

"Cheap" doesn't mean good. God knows we tried several.

I think we mean cheap as in a veteran with experience

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I like Carpenter, but I don't think it's what Dallas needs most importantly.

From my statistical analysis, finding a LOLB that can rush the passer and stop the run is more important than a guy in coverage. In essence, Fujita and the rest of the LB's (sans Bradie James) weren't very good in coverage. Fujita was inconsistent at best against the run and horrible at getting to the passer. In my estimation, I think the reason why they looked at guys like Manny Lawson and other undersized college DE's is that they figured their pass coverage skills couldn't be much worse than what they had last season. But, if they can find a pass rusher and run stopper, that could make a huge difference.

And like I've mentioned in my analysis, free safety is definitely an issue. The CB's and Roy were statiscally as good as any SS & CB combination in the league last year. However, Davis and Pile were pretty evident to be liabilities. Essentially, by getting a pretty good FS Dallas could very well wind up having the best secondary in the league.

Furthermore, the special teams coverage unit was pretty good statistically last year. If they can get a good FS and get Davis back to playing special teams full time, they could also wind up having one of the best special teams coverage units in the league as well.

But the problem I have with drafting FS in the first round is that you can find good FS in later rounds. Furthermore, I'd rather have a veteran FS so I don't have to worry about the rookie getting used to pass coverage schemes and adjusting to the game. Corey Chavous turns only 30 years old next season and Lance Shulters turns 31 years old. Both are UFA's.

But I still think O-Line needs to be the number one priority. It's more than evident to me that the problem was the O-Line was horrible by itself and not because of Bledsoe. They were horrible at run blocking last season and Bledsoe has never had too much of a problem with getting a decent running game going by the way RB's like Curtis Martin, Antowain Smith, Travis Henry, and Willis McGahee have produced with Bledsoe as their QB.

The main problem is that not only is the O-Line bad, but they are expensive and old. So the reality is that even if Flozell returns healthy next season, they probably will be an average O-Line at best.

And it's amazing that most Super Bowl teams usually have very good O-Line's.

Rich.........

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I like Carpenter, but I don't think it's what Dallas needs most importantly.

From my statistical analysis, finding a LOLB that can rush the passer and stop the run is more important than a guy in coverage. In essence, Fujita and the rest of the LB's (sans Bradie James) weren't very good in coverage. Fujita was inconsistent at best against the run and horrible at getting to the passer. In my estimation, I think the reason why they looked at guys like Manny Lawson and other undersized college DE's is that they figured their pass coverage skills couldn't be much worse than what they had last season. But, if they can find a pass rusher and run stopper, that could make a huge difference.

And like I've mentioned in my analysis, free safety is definitely an issue. The CB's and Roy were statiscally as good as any SS & CB combination in the league last year. However, Davis and Pile were pretty evident to be liabilities. Essentially, by getting a pretty good FS Dallas could very well wind up having the best secondary in the league.

Furthermore, the special teams coverage unit was pretty good statistically last year. If they can get a good FS and get Davis back to playing special teams full time, they could also wind up having one of the best special teams coverage units in the league as well.

But the problem I have with drafting FS in the first round is that you can find good FS in later rounds. Furthermore, I'd rather have a veteran FS so I don't have to worry about the rookie getting used to pass coverage schemes and adjusting to the game. Corey Chavous turns only 30 years old next season and Lance Shulters turns 31 years old. Both are UFA's.

But I still think O-Line needs to be the number one priority. It's more than evident to me that the problem was the O-Line was horrible by itself and not because of Bledsoe. They were horrible at run blocking last season and Bledsoe has never had too much of a problem with getting a decent running game going by the way RB's like Curtis Martin, Antowain Smith, Travis Henry, and Willis McGahee have produced with Bledsoe as their QB.

The main problem is that not only is the O-Line bad, but they are expensive and old. So the reality is that even if Flozell returns healthy next season, they probably will be an average O-Line at best.

And it's amazing that most Super Bowl teams usually have very good O-Line's.

Rich.........

:bow:

I can't find fault with anything that you wrote

Eskimo

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
They were supposely "cheap" last year too and we still ended up with Davis.

"Cheap" doesn't mean good. God knows we tried several.

Actually, the problem was ignored altogether. Dwight Smith was available but went to the Bucs for about $3M/year. We could have easily given him Peerless Price's money and had a much better defense.

This year there may be a few candidates - Marcus Coleman, Schulters, Chavous, Hope. I think it is better to spend the FA dollars here and use the draft to try and find some impact players at premium positions.

Eskimo

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
But you have to understand that Parcells is typically not a "blitzer" out of the 3-4. So why concentrate on getting a guy at the WOLB spot that's a good passer in exchange for a guy that is good against the run and in coverage?

If it's a passing down we'll probably still have Ellis to provide pass rush help.

Well, Parcells probably needs to adapt with the times because the vanilla 3-4 went out the window a long time ago. The two best 3-4 teams in the league (Steelers and Pats) have several LBs adept at the blitz and that is one of the reasons whey they are effective. 4 out of 5 SBs now to 3-4 defenses. I think we would do well to copy their formula for success at this point in time.

Strong NTs and good pass rushing OLBs.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I think the chances are much greater that Elllis will be a Cowboy next year as compared to Glover.

I mean what does Ellis cost us against the cap? $3,000,000? That's pretty friggin cheap for a good all around defensive end. And he provides outstanding depth behind both Spears and Canty.

I don't see Ellis going anywhere.

We need one of those this is my first and last Ellis staying threads from you!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yakuza Rich said:
So the reality is that even if Flozell returns healthy next season, they probably will be an average O-Line at best.
We will better than average. BP will address this issue and upgrade it big time.