Two Guys Who Should be of Real Interest to Cowboys..

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't care if Carpenter can rush the passer or not. I'm not looking for a pass rusher. If we can't stop the run it doesn't matter and we were worse against the run than we were against the pass... by far!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Carpenter always seemed a good fit with his size but the pops connection makes him a virtual lock. BP loves known commodities and trusts family ties.

Its a need position anyways.

Late 1st this kid is ours IMHO.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell said:
Carpenter always seemed a good fit with his size but the pops connection makes him a virtual lock. BP loves known commodities and trusts family ties.

I agree. A perfect fit.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
He is a 2nd rounder of interest. Manny Lawson may be the better player/fit there.

Watson/Ngata and one of above is my draft.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I don't care if Carpenter can rush the passer or not. I'm not looking for a pass rusher. If we can't stop the run it doesn't matter and we were worse against the run than we were against the pass... by far!

We were 12th in the NFL in points allowed.

I agree, get Ngata/Watson as a 3-4 NT Bull and in 2nd add a Carpenter, Lawson OLB.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors said:

I agree, get Ngata/Watson as a 3-4 NT Bull and in 2nd add a Carpenter, Lawson OLB.

My guess is that we won't go NT in round 1 or 2. I just don't think so Nors.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

Carpenter would be a good pick at 18........also fills a need.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cbz40 said:
Carpenter would be a good pick at 18........also fills a need.

If we select a guy in the 1st or 2nd round that doesn't have a great chance to start... I'll snap. We paid Ferguson a lot of money... He'd better start.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Nors said:

I would do backflips if we got Ngata.

Eskimo

Reaction score
jterrell said:

The ultimate lock for any player here is if his father was a coach. Didn't work out for us with Jacob Rogers and hasn't stopped Parcells from despising Henson, though.

Eskimo

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

Playing the run and covering the TE are the main things we need out of our SOLB and Fujita convincingly showed he could do neither of those things very well.

Nevertheless, I think the SOLB needs to have good pass rush skills to take this defense to the next level and we would be foolish to overlook this in any potential draftee. The Pats got Colvin/McGinest, Chargers got Foley/Merriman and Steelers got Haggans/Porter.

It really makes a huge difference and makes it harder for the offense to concentrate on Ware because the other guy could be the one that is coming.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
Playing the run and covering the TE are the main things we need out of our SOLB and Fujita convincingly showed he could do neither of those things very well.

Nevertheless, I think the SOLB needs to have good pass rush skills to take this defense to the next level and we would be foolish to overlook this in any potential draftee. The Pats got Colvin/McGinest, Chargers got Foley/Merriman and Steelers got Haggans/Porter.

It really makes a huge difference and makes it harder for the offense to concentrate on Ware because the other guy could be the one that is coming.

Exactly......can you say the Pittsburg LB scheme.....now you're talking.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Lamp126 said:
What about a free safety

Safeties are cheap in the NFL - pick up a decent one in FA or sign a vet CB with good tackling skills but declining coverage skills.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eskimo said:

But you have to understand that Parcells is typically not a "blitzer" out of the 3-4. So why concentrate on getting a guy at the WOLB spot that's a good passer in exchange for a guy that is good against the run and in coverage?

If it's a passing down we'll probably still have Ellis to provide pass rush help.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cbz40 said:
Exactly......can you say the Pittsburg LB scheme.....now you're talking.

But Pop's, Parcells has never run the 3-4 like Dick LeBeau does.. never. It's always far more conservative.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eskimo said:
Safeties are cheap in the NFL - pick up a decent one in FA or sign a vet CB with good tackling skills but declining coverage skills.

They were supposely "cheap" last year too and we still ended up with Davis.

"Cheap" doesn't mean good. God knows we tried several.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy said:
If he is a Cowboy.

I think the chances are much greater that Elllis will be a Cowboy next year as compared to Glover.

I mean what does Ellis cost us against the cap? $3,000,000? That's pretty friggin cheap for a good all around defensive end. And he provides outstanding depth behind both Spears and Canty.

I don't see Ellis going anywhere.