Two idiot defensive ends probably cost us Ezekiel Elliott and a dominating run game

Everson24

Reaction score
Greg Hardy's inability to keep his mouth shut,respect the coaching staff and show up for meetings and Randy Gregory getting busted for weed again has now forced us to go defensive end early in the draft again. Had these guys toed the line I have no doubt that the pick would have been Ezekeil Elliott (I don't see Ramsey being available at 4).

I don't know about you guys but just the thought of having a 20 year old stud RB with upside running behind Tyron Smith, La'el Collins, Travis Fredrick and Zack Martin for the next few years had me salivating. Now I know I must prepare myself for the Cowboys drafting lesser players at a position of need.

This reminds me of 1998 when Micheal Irvin's drug issues compelled us to take the safe pick (Greg Ellis) and miss out on a Hall of Fame wide receiver Randy Moss. Drafting Moss most likely would have lengthened Troy Aikman's career. I see the same connection with Elliott and Tony Romo. Elliott would protect Romo as a blocker and also keeps 8 men in the box which helps Dez and the passing game. Elliott also protects the defense by keeping them of the field during long time consuming drives.

This is why I am really ticked off at Greg Hardy and Randy Gregory. Stay clean and we could have had a dominating team this year, But now we are left patching holes with free agency and the draft rather than making a good offense great.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
We were never picking Elliott at 4.

Pretty much a foregone conclusion we're going Wentz/Goff at 4, whoever is left. If they're both there, it makes things interesting.

What makes you think it's a foregone conclusion? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
Exactly what SB champ this decade has had a stud RB that they drafted? Denver? NE? Seattle? Baltimore? NYG? GB? Saints? The best RB out of that bunch would be Seattle and Beast Mode was a FA. You can have a dominating run game without drafting the 'stud' back. What you need is defense...specifically guys that can effect the pocket and playmakers on the back end.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
What makes you think it's a foregone conclusion? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

Because we've done enough defensively this offseason that I think we're relatively happy adding a 2nd round talent to the defense as opposed to passing up on a franchise QB that high.

The only other two guys worthy of that pick - Jack and Ramsey - are guys that if they hit, they're probably two contract guys or free agents that walk after their rookie deal if we can't afford to give them that payday. A franchise quarterback that hits will be playing for us until he's 35, 36, 37 years old.

ThrowuptheXDez88

Reaction score
The front office has shown how they feel about the RB position sir. Using a premium pick on one isn't going to happen unless the guy is AD Jr., and Elliott from what I've seen, doesn't compare to that freak of a RB. Hopefully this is the last time we have a top 5 pick for some time, and we take advantage of it by taking Goff with a 36 year old QB

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Exactly what SB champ this decade has had a stud RB that they drafted? Denver? NE? Seattle? Baltimore? NYG? GB? Saints? The best RB out of that bunch would be Seattle and Beast Mode was a FA. You can have a dominating run game without drafting the 'stud' back. What you need is defense...specifically guys that can effect the pocket and playmakers on the back end.

The last time a team won and their running back was a key cog of their success was Seattle with Marshawn Lynch. Before that...maybe our Cowboys with Emmitt, in a completely different era.

You're absolutely right. The key to success is to protect the quarterback, have some guys who can catch the ball on the outside, and have a defense that can get off the field. Notice I didn't even say a top-flight defense...as long as they can get off the field (by that I mean - force punts or field goals), you have a shot to win a bunch of games.

Everson24

Reaction score
No RB is worth the #4 pick.

I disagee. With most passing teams in the NFL you are right. With our 1990's style offense a great running back is a must. We are running the same offense Aikman ran and as great as he and Micheal Irvin were, we couldn't win without Emmitt. We thought we had good backup running backs at the time and yet even with a great defense and the Great Wall of Dallas, we didn't get it done without a great running back. This offense that Garrett wants to run demands it.

It is not fair to Tony Romo to expect him to duplicate Aikmans playoff sucess when we are satisfied with journeyman type running backs.

bb721

Reaction score
Greg Hardy's inability to keep his mouth shut,respect the coaching staff and show up for meetings and Randy Gregory getting busted for weed again has now forced us to go defensive end early in the draft again. .

We're not FORCED to do anything. People act like the Draft is only about the first round. I'm sure that if they think that highly of Elliott they could take him with the 4th pick and target Dline help in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. With that said, I wouldn't take Elliott that high.

Hardline

Reaction score
The Cowboys have never won a super bowl without an elite running back. What history shows with the rest of the league means nothing. There is not a single player in this draft that will make an impact with the Cowboys than Elliott.
Passing him up I'll be the biggest bone headed thing they can do.

Save this post and remember that day I told you so. I am rarely wrong in my evaluation of players.

Everson24

Reaction score
We're not FORCED to do anything. People act like the Draft is only about the first round. I'm sure that if they think that highly of Elliott they could take him with the 4th pick and target Dline help in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. With that said, I wouldn't take Elliott that high.

If we still had Hardy and a clean Randy Gregory do you really think we go Buckner or Bosa with the 4th pick? I dont.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
This goes back over the last 10 seasons. In parentheses is the number of playoff wins for the team that season.

These teams led the NFL in Passer Rating Differential for the season listed.

Playoff wins: 18
2015 Seattle (1)
2014 Green Bay (1)
2013 Seattle (3)
2012 Green Bay (1)

2011 Green Bay
2010 Green Bay (4)
2009 New Orleans (3)
2008 Baltimore (2)
2007 New England (2)
2006 Philadelphia (1)

These teams' RB led the NFL in Rushing Yards for the season listed.

Playoff wins: 3
2015 Minnesota
2014 Dallas (1)
2013 Philadelphia
2012 Minnesota
2011 Jacksonville
2010 Houston
2009 Tennessee
2008 Minnesota
2007 San Diego (2)
2006 San Diego

Everson24

Reaction score
We were never picking Elliott at 4.

Pretty much a foregone conclusion we're going Wentz/Goff at 4, whoever is left. If they're both there, it makes things interesting.

I'm good with a QB there, but I think we go defensive end instead because it fit a need this year.

CashMan

Reaction score
I disagee. With most passing teams in the NFL you are right. With our 1990's style offense a great running back is a must. We are running the same offense Aikman ran and as great as he and Micheal Irvin were, we couldn't win without Emmitt. We thought we had good backup running backs at the time and yet even with a great defense and the Great Wall of Dallas, we didn't get it done without a great running back. This offense that Garrett wants to run demands it.

It is not fair to Tony Romo to expect him to duplicate Aikmans playoff sucess when we are satisfied with journeyman type running backs.

You are talking about a completely different era of football. One where the salary cap was in its infancy stage, where talent could be built up in depth. This would be like saying the 46 defense was so dominate, why are not teams running it now?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I'm good with a QB there, but I think we go defensive end instead because it fit a need this year.

No. It fits a need for 4 weeks, not for the future and beyond. Drafting Bosa because Gregory got a 4-game suspension would be 90s era Jerry stupid.

There are also possible replacements on the roster (David Irving) and it doesn't rule out a DE in the 2nd round.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Picking at #4 could be a DE although the best bet would be a trade down. It is more likely that Ramsey and Bosa will be off the board at #4 and I get a kick out of all that say it is obvious that we will pick a QB at #4. Actually it is quite funny. How many years have we known what Jerry is going to do only to see it change. Stephen and Willie McClay will pick the BPA either at #4 or after a trade down, period, done deal, not going to sway from it. Now if a QB happens to be the BPA then sure it will be a QB but if any watch enough film of games, not pro days, not combine, but actual games then you would see that neither Goff nor Wentz nor Lynch would be rated in the top 10, top 15 maybe, definitely not top 10. So if we have to pick at #4 then a best guess if Ramsey or Bosa are off the board would be Hargraves or possibly Jack or if a trade down somewhere at #9 through #11 then Elliott would be in play. But to say we will definitely take a QB is not ever watching what has happen with the Cowboys over the last 25 years.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
No RB is worth the #4 pick.

For most teams, this is right.

If we want to go back to 2014's identity, a RB would be worth the #4 pick in this draft if they are capable of stepping in and making plays right away.

He is one of the top five players in this draft and one of the safer choices that could be made.

Just because "normally" a back is not "worth" a top five pick is just a blanket statement that has little to no application to this particular group of players.

It is kind of like how you never take a center or guard in the first round. Seemed to work out okay before.