Two idiot defensive ends probably cost us Ezekiel Elliott and a dominating run game

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
What makes you think it's a foregone conclusion? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

In today's game, running back is one of thee most interchangeable positions to fill, you don't waste a top 4 pick on a running back, pick will be either a QB, DE,OT or CB, offensive Tackle for Dallas is off the board, so my guess for Dallas at 4 is either, Wentz/Goff, Ramsey, Buckner/Bosa in that order

Hardline

Reaction score
For most teams, this is right.

If we want to go back to 2014's identity, a RB would be worth the #4 pick in this draft if they are capable of stepping in and making plays right away.

He is one of the top five players in this draft and one of the safer choices that could be made.

Just because "normally" a back is not "worth" a top five pick is just a blanket statement that has little to no application to this particular group of players.

It is kind of like how you never take a center or guard in the first round. Seemed to work out okay before.

Truth.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
In today's game, running back is one of thee most interchangeable positions to fill, you don't waste a top 4 pick on a running back, pick will be either a QB, DE,OT or CB, offensive Tackle for Dallas is off the board, so my guess for Dallas at 4 is either, Wentz/Goff, Ramsey, Buckner/Bosa in that order

If he steps in and starts from day one, how is the player a waste?

Your statement here is simple.

Draft for need and avoid one of the better players because of that.

Sydla

Reaction score
Greg Hardy's inability to keep his mouth shut,respect the coaching staff and show up for meetings and Randy Gregory getting busted for weed again has now forced us to go defensive end early in the draft again. Had these guys toed the line I have no doubt that the pick would have been Ezekeil Elliott (I don't see Ramsey being available at 4).

I don't know about you guys but just the thought of having a 20 year old stud RB with upside running behind Tyron Smith, La'el Collins, Travis Fredrick and Zack Martin for the next few years had me salivating. Now I know I must prepare myself for the Cowboys drafting lesser players at a position of need.

This reminds me of 1998 when Micheal Irvin's drug issues compelled us to take the safe pick (Greg Ellis) and miss out on a Hall of Fame wide receiver Randy Moss. Drafting Moss most likely would have lengthened Troy Aikman's career. I see the same connection with Elliott and Tony Romo. Elliott would protect Romo as a blocker and also keeps 8 men in the box which helps Dez and the passing game. Elliott also protects the defense by keeping them of the field during long time consuming drives.

This is why I am really ticked off at Greg Hardy and Randy Gregory. Stay clean and we could have had a dominating team this year, But now we are left patching holes with free agency and the draft rather than making a good offense great.

They likely weren't taking Elliott even if everything else worked out.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Greg Hardy's inability to keep his mouth shut,respect the coaching staff and show up for meetings and Randy Gregory getting busted for weed again has now forced us to go defensive end early in the draft again. Had these guys toed the line I have no doubt that the pick would have been Ezekeil Elliott (I don't see Ramsey being available at 4).

I don't know about you guys but just the thought of having a 20 year old stud RB with upside running behind Tyron Smith, La'el Collins, Travis Fredrick and Zack Martin for the next few years had me salivating. Now I know I must prepare myself for the Cowboys drafting lesser players at a position of need.

This reminds me of 1998 when Micheal Irvin's drug issues compelled us to take the safe pick (Greg Ellis) and miss out on a Hall of Fame wide receiver Randy Moss. Drafting Moss most likely would have lengthened Troy Aikman's career. I see the same connection with Elliott and Tony Romo. Elliott would protect Romo as a blocker and also keeps 8 men in the box which helps Dez and the passing game. Elliott also protects the defense by keeping them of the field during long time consuming drives.

This is why I am really ticked off at Greg Hardy and Randy Gregory. Stay clean and we could have had a dominating team this year, But now we are left patching holes with free agency and the draft rather than making a good offense great.

wow. it's like inventing a reason to get mad that the cowboys are not going to take your pet cat and going off on a rant.

well done!

lkelly

Reaction score
The last time a team won and their running back was a key cog of their success was Seattle with Marshawn Lynch. Before that...maybe our Cowboys with Emmitt, in a completely different era.

You're absolutely right. The key to success is to protect the quarterback, have some guys who can catch the ball on the outside, and have a defense that can get off the field. Notice I didn't even say a top-flight defense...as long as they can get off the field (by that I mean - force punts or field goals), you have a shot to win a bunch of games.

Marshawn Lynch was traded to Seattle for two mid-round picks. I think it was a 4th and a 5th. The point that Whitefish was making is that Super Bowl teams don't spend valuable draft capital on running backs. It's clearly the case. The last that I can recall is Baltimore featuring a rookie Jamal Lewis who they picked #5 overall. He beat out Priest Holmes (he landed on his feet) and helped them win a title. Their defense was fairly key that season so it wasn't as if they strictly relied on him.

In 2006 the Colts picked Addai at the bottom of the first round and won a title. He was solid especially in the playoffs, so there's an argument there on his behalf. You could also potentially put Pittsburgh and Bettis in the list of teams that won spending some draft pick value on a RB. I believe they traded a 2nd and 4th for Bettis and got back a 3rd. Neither of those situations are close to spending a top 10 pick on a back.

bsheeern

Reaction score
I would LOVE to for this team to be the trend setters in the NFL. Have other teams spend the next 10 years trying to duplicate what Dallas does. The best way to do that base on the personnel we already have is finding the next Adrian Peterson and putting him behind this O-Line. Let This team buck the trend of what typically works and force teams to play our style of Football

With that being said, I know the AP's of the world are very, very rare & who knows if Elliot measures up even remotely close.

I can tell you this, with the #4 pick you need to get a cornerstone Franchise type player.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch was traded to Seattle for two mid-round picks. I think it was a 4th and a 5th. The point that Whitefish was making is that Super Bowl teams don't spend valuable draft capital on running backs. It's clearly the case. The last that I can recall is Baltimore featuring a rookie Jamal Lewis who they picked #5 overall. He beat out Priest Holmes (he landed on his feet) and helped them win a title. Their defense was fairly key that season so it wasn't as if they strictly relied on him.

In 2006 the Colts picked Addai at the bottom of the first round and won a title. He was solid especially in the playoffs, so there's an argument there on his behalf. You could also potentially put Pittsburgh and Bettis in the list of teams that won spending some draft pick value on a RB. I believe they traded a 2nd and 4th for Bettis and got back a 3rd. Neither of those situations are close to spending a top 10 pick on a back.

Fairly key? LOL. That Ravens defense was the best we've seen in history.

Alexander

Reaction score
I can tell you this, with the #4 pick you need to get a cornerstone Franchise type player.

And if this draft had a couple of them, I would agree. This is just not your typical draft with what appears to be transcendent type talents in it.

Honestly, I do not see but maybe one and that is Tunsil. He looks like a 10-12 year LT. The rest have varying qualities that are nice, but there are always questions.

They do not have the college production, there is a scheme fit issue, they are inexperienced and are better athletes than players who have mastered their craft in college.

bsheeern

Reaction score
And if this draft had a couple of them, I would agree. This is just not your typical draft with what appears to be transcendent type talents in it.

Honestly, I do not see but maybe one and that is Tunsil. He looks like a 10-12 year LT. The rest have varying qualities that are nice, but there are always questions.

They do not have the college production, there is a scheme fit issue, they are inexperienced and are better athletes than players who have mastered their craft in college.

I agree

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
If he steps in and starts from day one, how is the player a waste?

Your statement here is simple.

Draft for need and avoid one of the better players because of that.

Running back isn't a premium position or need on this team and what is a priority on this team needs list, defensive end, corner, defensive tackle, quarterback, receiver, safety.... running back is no where in sight, and sorry, but there is no running back in this draft that I'd take in the first round..it's a weak class..

Hardline

Reaction score

Tunsil is the only one I take over Elliott

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This goes back over the last 10 seasons. In parentheses is the number of playoff wins for the team that season.

These teams led the NFL in Passer Rating Differential for the season listed.

Playoff wins: 18
2015 Seattle (1)
2014 Green Bay (1)
2013 Seattle (3)
2012 Green Bay (1)

2011 Green Bay
2010 Green Bay (4)
2009 New Orleans (3)
2008 Baltimore (2)
2007 New England (2)
2006 Philadelphia (1)

These teams' RB led the NFL in Rushing Yards for the season listed.

Playoff wins: 3
2015 Minnesota
2014 Dallas (1)
2013 Philadelphia
2012 Minnesota
2011 Jacksonville
2010 Houston
2009 Tennessee
2008 Minnesota
2007 San Diego (2)
2006 San Diego

And a post like this gets completely ignored.

At some point it's willful ignorance. There's no other reasonable explanation.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unless you feel really confident about a) Romo's longevity, or b) the team's chances of finding a diamond in the rough at the QB position, you have to be thinking QB at #4.

Of course we do. If one of them is there, any other pick is crazy dumb. I can't fathom wanting a RB there instead.

Alexander

Reaction score
Unless you feel really confident about a) Romo's longevity, or b) the teams' ability to find a diamond in the rough at the QB position, you have to be thinking QB at #4.

Speaking personally, I have always wanted a QB at 4. At this stage, Wentz, Goff or possibly Lynch would be preferred.

But since the organization appears dead set on pursuing lower level developmental players like Prescott and do not seem inclined to believe that Romo is doing nothing else but playing five more years. The shift then becomes who is the best player, who can make Romo the best he can be during the time he has left.

Ask yourself that question, you cannot dismiss Elliott. Or even a top shelf WR. But to think that and come to the conclusion a DB is going to help close out his career in high fashion, well, that is not thinking logically in the least. It is thinking business as usual and that the injuries were just bad luck.