Two idiot defensive ends probably cost us Ezekiel Elliott and a dominating run game

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I would agree that the two defensive ends that we got in 2015 have proven to be complete nimrods and Dallas is now in a bind because of it. Dallas will absolutely need to grab a DE early in this draft if they want to get close to average in the sacks and run defense. What they have now is one of those "try hard" units, but not quite where it needs to be talent-wise.

Western

Reaction score
Sure an outstanding defense that creates turnovers and shuts down opposing offenses is preferred.
You can stockpile your team with 1st round defensive players.
Even a stub RB can be an asset and lessen the burden on the QB.
In playoff football, however defenses are good enough to shut down an offensive running attack.

Without a quality, smart, & physically gifted QB, your overall team will not even be competitive to make the playoffs, and eventually succeed in the post-season.

The 2015 Texans, the 2014 Jets, and the 2014 Bills for example all had outstanding defenses, but their QB play (Brian Hoyer), (Geno Smith/Mike VIck), (E.J. Manuel/Kyle Orton) doomed any team success.
In playoff football, it is the QB who completes passes and converts on 3rd down, throws touchdowns in the red zone, commits no turnovers (see Cam Newton in the Super Bowl 50, & Carson Palmer in the NFC championship game -- both failed to deliver and committed errors), & makes no dumb mistakes, that separates championship teams from other teams.

Some may say it is the defense that makes the QB look bad, but rather it is the smart QB who avoids the foolish & ill-advised gaffe when the game is on the line and the football is in his hands, that is the difference.

The Romo era is over.
It will always be a QB-driven league.

Go big or go home ~ draft Goff/Wentz.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Exactly what SB champ this decade has had a stud RB that they drafted? Denver? NE? Seattle? Baltimore? NYG? GB? Saints? The best RB out of that bunch would be Seattle and Beast Mode was a FA. You can have a dominating run game without drafting the 'stud' back. What you need is defense...specifically guys that can effect the pocket and playmakers on the back end.

I notice another trend on those teams though they aren't all top 4 picks obv;) Great QBs take precedent over D @ 4 (Bosa is a SLE = Lawrence's position).

dstew60105

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We were never picking Elliott at 4.

Pretty much a foregone conclusion we're going Wentz/Goff at 4, whoever is left. If they're both there, it makes things interesting.

We aren't going QB with the forth pick.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
We're either going Ramsey/ Bosa

Or whatever QB we deemed best if there IMO.

I'm having a hard time justifying Bosa as being worthy of the 4th overall selection.

Is he even as good a prospect as Fletcher Cox was coming out?

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
We were never picking Elliott at 4.

Pretty much a foregone conclusion we're going Wentz/Goff at 4, whoever is left. If they're both there, it makes things interesting.

Nope no Qb or RB at #4.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Just because you draft a prospect, particularly at RB, doesn't mean he's going to work out. The other big issue with RB's is that their careers tend to be short. You're a bit lucky if they play until 30 years old effectively and once they hit 30, they are done. For those that want to go back to the identity of the 2014 team, they should take note that was with Murray...a 3rd round pick. So it's not like we can't find great RB's in a later round.

I don't blame Hardy for 'not keeping his mouth shut.' He said he was coming out 'guns ablazing.' If Garrett feels the need to word police for his sensitive little ears at a common phrase at the expense of team success, then we should look elsewhere for a football coach. Gregory didn't pan out but I don't regret making the pick, I just regret his foolishness.

I don't think we draft a DE anyway. I think we are looking at Ramsey or a QB.

YR

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
we had a first round safety and a first round corner on the team last season they had 8 eight turnovers and won four games the players that will effect the cowboys now and in the future in this draft is either zeke or one of the qb's.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I would LOVE to for this team to be the trend setters in the NFL. Have other teams spend the next 10 years trying to duplicate what Dallas does. The best way to do that base on the personnel we already have is finding the next Adrian Peterson and putting him behind this O-Line. Let This team buck the trend of what typically works and force teams to play our style of Football

With that being said, I know the AP's of the world are very, very rare & who knows if Elliot measures up even remotely close.

I can tell you this, with the #4 pick you need to get a cornerstone Franchise type player.

THIS!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This reminds me of 1998 when Micheal Irvin's drug issues compelled us to take the safe pick (Greg Ellis) and miss out on a Hall of Fame wide receiver Randy Moss.

We drafted Greg Elllis because we only had 1 starting DE at the time. Not saying the the history with Moss wasn't a contributing factor. But Jerry's inability to secure a DE before the draft really forced the pick. I still vividly remember sitting in the chat room that draft day and everyone raking Jerry over the coals for that boneheaded mistake.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
We drafted Greg Elllis because we only had 1 starting DE at the time. Not saying the the history with Moss wasn't a contributing factor. But Jerry's inability to secure a DE before the draft really forced the pick. I still vividly remember sitting in the chat room that draft day and everyone raking Jerry over the coals for that boneheaded mistake.
Gailey and his WR coach at the time also did not want to deal with Moss.

So then it came down to getting a squeaky clean player (Mack Brown's babysitter) that filled a need.

Hardline

Reaction score
I will never understand how something that happened over 20 years ago impacts what happens in this or any other year going forward.

It states the importance of the Cowboys having an elite RB in the past,the present and going into the future.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It states the importance of the Cowboys having an elite RB in the past,the present and going into the future.

The last time I put snow tires on my car we won a Super Bowl.

So are you are saying that if I put snow tires on my car next season we will win another?