Two veterans Dallas should consider bringing in to back up Dak

Kwyn

Reaction score
I'm well aware and I saw him play.
Well, what’s your opinion on that?

I think that’s exactly what you want from your backup.

having a young backup is fine if you have an aging vet and you want to let someone observe and watch but if you’re a playoff caliber team you want your backup to come in and go .500

That’s what you hope for anyway

If I’m in a race to win a division, the last thing I want is for someone to have to learn in the job. If we have them in a young backup role, there’s a reason we were able to ge them in the first place

If they had starte potential, they would likely be in another spot . If they are on a team with a young franchise QB, they are probably just a project.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think most backups are only expected to sit in for a few games. The fewer the better. You still want a chance at winning those games, but who has a legitimate starting QB as a backup?

1. If our backup is better than rush fans will call for him to start hurting Jerry's face of the team after Dak has another no td loss by 3 points. Jerry has put the brand on daks face and sold it he wants no real competition there.

2. You pay for a files to backup when you are ready for a SB run and we aren't even close.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's about Matt More and Mike Glennon.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz.

Thanks. Glad I did not click the link for this info.

I hate it when someone is too lazy to post a few extra lines of comments or at least list the names of what it is about. Instead of just posting the link.
I Know, I could click on the link. But the courtesy of creating a link should be a little more informative. Just my opinion though.

Should be rule about this. :laugh:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Matt Moore played well when needed last year.

Everyone wants to have Pat Mahomes as the starter

They want Pat Mahomes as the backup

And they want Pat Mahomes on the practice squad just in case

100%

If the message board was around back in the 90s they’d be crapping on Beurlein and Peete.

The reality is you’re lucky if you can get a guy with starting experience, with some wins under his belt, for a relatively cheap contract.

The backup doesn’t always have to be the next franchise QB waiting in the wings.

I was hoping we’d make a run at Mariota for a 1-2 year deal at the right price. Matt Moore is not a bad option.

csirl

Reaction score
Our QB room is stale and weak and none of them have faced any real competition the last couple of years. We need to bring in a couple of QBs to freshen it up. It would help if they were familiar with the type of offense McCarthy runs - would help all the offensive players to tansition to the new system.

Any finally, the elephant in the room. Cowboys currently have zero QBs signed for the 2021 season........which may be the next full season of football

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Stop it! Superman doesn't need a backup but we have Cooper Rush anyway. That's enough and enough said. :thumbup:
Attention! Cooper Rush to the Bat Cave Immediately!! lol
Edit..
That was batman,, so my bad... Cooper Rush to the phone booth ASAP!

Kwyn

Reaction score
Our QB room is stale and weak and none of them have faced any real competition the last couple of years. We need to bring in a couple of QBs to freshen it up. It would help if they were familiar with the type of offense McCarthy runs - would help all the offensive players to tansition to the new system.

Any finally, the elephant in the room. Cowboys currently have zero QBs signed for the 2021 season........which may be the next full season of football

Are you talking about competition for backup?

if you’re talking about Dak, that’s obviously not happening

What’s the number of NFL teams who brought in competition at the QB position?

Just one to my knowledge and that’s Chicago with Trubisky and Foles

This thing you’re talking about?

It’s not a thing.

It isn’t going to be a thing here or anywhere else but Chicago

fivetwos

Reaction score
Cooper Rush has been "The" backup QB for multiple years now. The Cowboys don't appear to be in a rush (pardon the pun) to replace him.
No, not until he blows a season, then itll be a mad scramble for a quality backup the following off season.

Always reactionary, and very short memories those two.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Right now I dont think the Cowboys are too worried about the Backup for Dak Prescott. I think theyre more worried about Dak coming Back.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that's true but doesn't mean it's smart. In fact, IMO, means they are ridiculously stupid. We went through the season last year with no real backup and we ended up losing to the Eagles in a win or go home game that was there for the taking. I mean, easy win if we just have an average backup QB. But instead, we were more concerned with other things and we ended up 8-8. Not good enough to go to the playoffs and complete for a championship and not bad enough to pick a player early enough in the draft to impact in a big way.

I understand what you are saying but doesn't mean the team is right for taking this approach, in my mind. To me, it's down right dumb. But still, wouldn't surprise me.

Kwyn

Reaction score
We went through the season last year with no real backup and we ended up losing to the Eagles in a win or go home game that was there for the taking. I mean, easy win if we just have an average backup QB.

I’m not sure I understand.

Are you saying the Cowboys should have benched Dak for the Eagles game and the only reason they didn’t is because they didn’t trust Cooper Rush and if they had another backup, we would have won that game, the NFC East, and made the playoffs?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Attention! Cooper Rush to the Bat Cave Immediately!! lol
Edit..
That was batman,, so my bad... Cooper Rush to the phone booth ASAP!
The newest version of Superman doesn't even use a phone booth. Isn't that a silly idea anyway? Whoever changed clothes in a phonebooth? Not anyone in a hurry. Look, I'm getting away from my point... Dak doesn't get hurt so bad that he has to leave the field. In 4 full seasons, he has started every game. It seems no one wants to show any appreciation for that or anything else the man does for that matter.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I’m not sure I understand.

Are you saying the Cowboys should have benched Dak for the Eagles game and the only reason they didn’t is because they didn’t trust Cooper Rush and if they had another backup, we would have won that game, the NFC East, and made the playoffs?

That's exactly what I'm saying. Dak was horrible in that game. Couldn't complete simple passes and the reasoning we got, after the game, was injury. He was not healthy. Well, if that was the case, then he should have been benched.

That game was easily winnable if we just had a QB who was healthy and could hit some wide open passes. The Eagles were terrible last year, very beatable and I believe 100% that a healthy Dak would have eaten them up but see, that's the thing. We apparently didn't have that. That's on the Coaching Staff and on Management.

blueblood70

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.
I want to draft a QB that can not only be a solid backup but can potentially win the starting job.
Jalen Hurts in the third round is the idea scenario.
hope he slips to the 4th I like him there more..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Are you talking about competition for backup?

if you’re talking about Dak, that’s obviously not happening

What’s the number of NFL teams who brought in competition at the QB position?

Just one to my knowledge and that’s Chicago with Trubisky and Foles

This thing you’re talking about?

It’s not a thing.

It isn’t going to be a thing here or anywhere else but Chicago
last year that worked out for the titans..we need a plan both for the backup and for Dak to be pushed or needed for a possible holdout etc..something better then Rush is needed..

Kwyn

Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm saying. Dak was horrible in that game. Couldn't complete simple passes and the reasoning we got, after the game, was injury. He was not healthy. Well, if that was the case, then he should have been benched.

That game was easily winnable if we just had a QB who was healthy and could hit some wide open passes. The Eagles were terrible last year, very beatable and I believe 100% that a healthy Dak would have eaten them up but see, that's the thing. We apparently didn't have that. That's on the Coaching Staff and on Management.
There is no team in the league they would have made that move.

The injury Dak suffered was reported to be one that is a matter of pain tolerance and the MRI showed no structural damage and no risk of further injury.

You may recall that the injury happened in the first quarter against the Rams and Dak went on to have a really good game. There was no reason to believe he couldn’t play, and play well, with the injury against Philadelphia

As I said, in a situation like that where your QB says he’s good to go and he’s medically cleared, you let your starter play 100 out of 100 times.

Every team in the league would have done the same exact thing.