CFZ Tyler Smith’s challenge

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The first round pick is coming in with the most unique challenge of any rookie player.

He is replacing a penalty machine, which is the main reason he is gone, with the same rep he got in college. He committed multiple penalties when facing better DL on better teams.

I do not recall another situation like this and while he has the customary challenge of playing NFL OL as a rookie, he has baggage he must unpack or the fans are going to be on him as they were Williams.

The strength of Smith’s game is aggression and power which are going to exacerbate his challenge to try and play a clean game. I saw some video of his play at Tulsa and am not sure all of those penalties were justified but that doesn’t matter, he is a rookie with a rep coming in and that is an unique challenge.

This is also a challenge for the OL coaching staff because they failed to cure Williams and went so far to bench him.

You dont have a "rep" when you come into the NFL. No ref is going to remember he got a bunch of holding penalties in college.

Williams is not here because he was the weakest link AND penalties.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You dont have a "rep" when you come into the NFL. No ref is going to remember he got a bunch of holding penalties in college.

Williams is not here because he was the weakest link AND penalties.
Yep, I doubt any refs ever watch college ball or the NFL draft. In fact, I think the league forbids them from watching the draft and has them on a 3 day lockdown so they wouldn't know the college penalty machine, 3 in one game, is coming to replace the NFL penalty machine.

Yes, some players come into the NFL with reps like Ball and Joseph did last year, doesn't mean they have to keep that rep, but they do have to prove that doesn't apply. And then some players, like Williams, earn that rep and that is following him to MIA.

What do you think these refs do, have a system dump after every game and don't remember players they need to "keep an eye on"?

I guess the irony of the college penalty machine replacing the NFL penalty machine is lost on you? Don't you think that is at least a little bit odd? Think that isn't on Smith's and his coaches' minds?

ESisback

Reaction score
Agree, all I am saying is he has a challenge I do not think any other rookies have and do we think the refs are not aware of his penalty issues at Tulsa?

The best part of Smith is they do not have to beef/strengthen him up and he is a lot less vulnerable to the bull rush from a 325lb DT. Every DC the Cowboys faced knew the weak point on that OL. The quicker and more agile DT's might be a problem because they're a problem for a lot of OG's.

Smith is a project but not like Williams, they need to get him not to commit obvious penalties and cheat out of sight. Williams knew he was not ready for being a NFL OG coming in, I do not see that in Smith, Plus he's got that mean 'n nasty side.
Yeah, they’ll definitely keep a close eye on Smith. He checks all the boxes…Confident and aggressive? Check! Small school? Check! Dallas Cowboy? Check!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yep, I doubt any refs ever watch college ball or the NFL draft. In fact, I think the league forbids them from watching the draft and has them on a 3 day lockdown so they wouldn't know the college penalty machine, 3 in one game, is coming to replace the NFL penalty machine.

Yes, some players come into the NFL with reps like Ball and Joseph did last year, doesn't mean they have to keep that rep, but they do have to prove that doesn't apply. And then some players, like Williams, earn that rep and that is following him to MIA.

What do you think these refs do, have a system dump after every game and don't remember players they need to "keep an eye on"?

I guess the irony of the college penalty machine replacing the NFL penalty machine is lost on you? Don't you think that is at least a little bit odd? Think that isn't on Smith's and his coaches' minds?

There is nothing for the refs to remember with Smith as he hasn't played a game in the NFL yet. I found your narrative odd.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Connor problem was the fact he wasnt string enough. This kid problem was mostly playing wild wild west as LT. A lot can be clean up as a G since he strong enough and playing in a booth. All he need to do is work on the transition and hand placement. Reason why I dont want him to think about LT for this year.

slick325

Reaction score
I hope this kid is another example of this FO hitting a home run on first round picks. The biggest challenge I see for him will be adjusting to the talent level and speed of the game. This FO does a lot of "shopping" from Power 5 conferences, mainly because those players face a lot more NFL type players than non-Power 5 schools.

Hopefully, this kid cleans up his technique issues due to NFL coaching and hard work. I feel his penalties are due to technique and his aggressive nature. If they can make him a true technician and harness his aggressive nature, this kid can be homerun. But, that remains to be seen. Here's hoping.

ESisback

Reaction score
I hope this kid is another example of this FO hitting a home run on first round picks. The biggest challenge I see for him will be adjusting to the talent level and speed of the game. This FO does a lot of "shopping" from Power 5 conferences, mainly because those players face a lot more NFL type players than non-Power 5 schools.

Hopefully, this kid cleans up his technique issues due to NFL coaching and hard work. I feel his penalties are due to technique and his aggressive nature. If they can make him a true technician and harness his aggressive nature, this kid can be homerun. But, that remains to be seen. Here's hoping.
Hope is not allowed here!

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Agree, all I am saying is he has a challenge I do not think any other rookies have and do we think the refs are not aware of his penalty issues at Tulsa?

The best part of Smith is they do not have to beef/strengthen him up and he is a lot less vulnerable to the bull rush from a 325lb DT. Every DC the Cowboys faced knew the weak point on that OL. The quicker and more agile DT's might be a problem because they're a problem for a lot of OG's.

Smith is a project but not like Williams, they need to get him not to commit obvious penalties and cheat out of sight. Williams knew he was not ready for being a NFL OG coming in, I do not see that in Smith, Plus he's got that mean 'n nasty side.
That just made me think:
DC's might now probably attack Biadasz thinking it will confuse Smith into exacerbating the compromise.

Oy.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Connor problem was the fact he wasnt string enough. This kid problem was mostly playing wild wild west as LT. A lot can be clean up as a G since he strong enough and playing in a booth. All he need to do is work on the transition and hand placement. Reason why I dont want him to think about LT for this year.
Yep teach the young man proper technique and let him go!
Just hope dak don't get killed during the learning curve.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I hope Smith never sees tackle and becomes a mauler at G to complement Zack Martin and also open up the run game . Helps Dak . Ball and Waletzco should handle depth at Tackle .

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that.

I dont particularly care if he moves to LT or his future's at LG. However, @CouchCoach 's post is a none too subtle attack on drafting Smith at no. 24, whereas the pick appears to be multifaceted and could work on a number levels (and scenario's).

I wonder whether the pick also factored in predicted limitations in the LT class in '23.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It seems to me we are replacing a penalty machine with another penalty machine. Coaching better fix this.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It seems to me we are replacing a penalty machine with another penalty machine. Coaching better fix this.

Yep, if it doesnt work we're potentially in a tear it down mode in 2023, potentially needing a LT, LG (and possibly Center).

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Conner Williams wasn't naturally strong enough to play LG position at a dominating level. He was our smallest offensive lineman and the position he played required him to take on the defenses biggest defensive lineman. So his struggles with penalties was never going to end.

Tyler Smith does have the size and strength to play LG at a high level. So I really don't expect penalties to be something he struggles with. LG's do not have to protect as much space as LT's do. Plus I don't think he'll be throwing DT's, in the NFL, to the ground like he did the DE's in college. The DE's he threw to the ground in college would grab him and pull him down too. Two guys falling to the ground like that always looks like holding.

So I think he'll be alright, as far as penalties go.

G is just an easier position *if* you have the power for it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Tyler Smith is a much more naturally talented player that Connor Williams ever was. Smith is athletic enough to play LT, but IMO he’s too raw to place there now. Placing him at LG will will be a good test and possible transition place for him. None of us know what he will be of course but his physical skills are there, just a little unpolished.

The penalty issue with C. Williams was embarrassing. He could run block ok but got pushed around way too much in passing situations and his inability to stay in good leverage led to many of his holding calls. Good riddance.

Make no mistake- Tyler Smith is a project. He’s a lot less of a “plug and play” type guy than some other players were in the draft. But I also think he has more upside to develop. He may not be immediately great, but he has a lot of potential to be. I’m not as worried about his holding penalties in college as I am his adjustment to the talent level he will face immediately.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Best outcome is Tyron stays health for a few more years.
The last season Tyron Smith was fully healthy playing in all games was 2015. He’s missed 32 games in the last 6 seasons. I hope he’s healthy too but I’m not expecting it.

Reactions: G2

terra

Reaction score
You can bet refs HEAR about penalty machines from college. Only a moron would think otherwise. Just like they hear about dirty players, etc. Word gets out.