CFZ Tyler Smith’s challenge

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, I doubt any refs ever watch college ball or the NFL draft. In fact, I think the league forbids them from watching the draft and has them on a 3 day lockdown so they wouldn't know the college penalty machine, 3 in one game, is coming to replace the NFL penalty machine.

Yes, some players come into the NFL with reps like Ball and Joseph did last year, doesn't mean they have to keep that rep, but they do have to prove that doesn't apply. And then some players, like Williams, earn that rep and that is following him to MIA.

What do you think these refs do, have a system dump after every game and don't remember players they need to "keep an eye on"?

I guess the irony of the college penalty machine replacing the NFL penalty machine is lost on you? Don't you think that is at least a little bit odd? Think that isn't on Smith's and his coaches' minds?
I'm going to quote this post mid-season when Tyler Smith has shown to be the best LG since the GOAT.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont particularly care if he moves to LT or his future's at LG. However, @CouchCoach 's post is a none too subtle attack on drafting Smith at no. 24, whereas the pick appears to be multifaceted and could work on a number levels (and scenario's).

I wonder whether the pick also factored in predicted limitations in the LT class in '23.
No problem with him at 24, I wanted an OL with the first pick and am fine with him.

However, it isn’t lost on me the reason his predecessor is gone and that is the rap on him coming out of college.

Tyron Smith was pretty raw too and only 20 when he was drafted.

I am more than fine with him at 24 because of the track record with 1st round OL is solid and outside the 1st, it is not.

plasticman

Reaction score
Do we all really believe that Williams is gone mainly because of the penalties?

Was there any good reason to keep him? The guy was given a great opportunity and he should have improved. He was weak and slow and got dominated often.

Nobody is going to care about the penalties if the running game increases it's average by a yard

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The first round pick is coming in with the most unique challenge of any rookie player.

He is replacing a penalty machine, which is the main reason he is gone, with the same rep he got in college. He committed multiple penalties when facing better DL on better teams.

I do not recall another situation like this and while he has the customary challenge of playing NFL OL as a rookie, he has baggage he must unpack or the fans are going to be on him as they were Williams.

The strength of Smith’s game is aggression and power which are going to exacerbate his challenge to try and play a clean game. I saw some video of his play at Tulsa and am not sure all of those penalties were justified but that doesn’t matter, he is a rookie with a rep coming in and that is an unique challenge.

This is also a challenge for the OL coaching staff because they failed to cure Williams and went so far to bench him.

Come on Coach. Inside is a very different call

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The last season Tyron Smith was fully healthy playing in all games was 2015. He’s missed 32 games in the last 6 seasons. I hope he’s healthy too but I’m not expecting it.

Last year he seemed to be past the chronic back problems. Went out because he got rolled up on. Just a normal injury that could happen to anyone. I'm optimistic.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
No problem with him at 24, I wanted an OL with the first pick and am fine with him.

However, it isn’t lost on me the reason his predecessor is gone and that is the rap on him coming out of college.

Tyron Smith was pretty raw too and only 20 when he was drafted.

I am more than fine with him at 24 because of the track record with 1st round OL is solid and outside the 1st, it is not.

Your OP must just be a 'dog whistle' to those wanting to be critical of the pick.

Voch made an excellent point, Smith played in the 5th ranked AAC team, he was obviously the most physical on the O-Line and as such Tulsa didnt bother developing his technique.....rather, telling him to get out there and use your strength.

You can't compare him with Connor Williams, a player with 4 years of NFL experience.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Do we all really believe that Williams is gone mainly because of the penalties?

Was there any good reason to keep him? The guy was given a great opportunity and he should have improved. He was weak and slow and got dominated often.

Nobody is going to care about the penalties if the running game increases it's average by a yard

I suppose it's all connected, if you're outmatched physically you have to resort to holding in the hope that youre not going to get called EVERY play.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agree, all I am saying is he has a challenge I do not think any other rookies have and do we think the refs are not aware of his penalty issues at Tulsa?

The best part of Smith is they do not have to beef/strengthen him up and he is a lot less vulnerable to the bull rush from a 325lb DT. Every DC the Cowboys faced knew the weak point on that OL. The quicker and more agile DT's might be a problem because they're a problem for a lot of OG's.

Smith is a project but not like Williams, they need to get him not to commit obvious penalties and cheat out of sight. Williams knew he was not ready for being a NFL OG coming in, I do not see that in Smith, Plus he's got that mean 'n nasty side.
Yea, somehow a project and penalty history coming in for a 1st round pick spells problems if not disaster. He’s probably either going to need to excel and overcome rather quickly or crash and burn.

Good news is he’ll get more chances than at most teams cause we are a player friendly team and this dysfunctional ownership will provide him more time to make it rather than benching for a better or more productive back up since they’ll want to prove it wasn’t a bad 1st round pick.

Let’s just hope Tyron can stay healthy or that left side could become very vulnerable. That to me is a big key to Smiths early success having Tyron anchoring beside him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can bet refs HEAR about penalty machines from college. Only a moron would think otherwise. Just like they hear about dirty players, etc. Word gets out.

Teams will point this out to the refs before a game, even if the refs aren't already aware of it. Somehow it will be brought up. We know the media and fans already have, many times.

Coaches before the games will also. They have in the past. Remember the snap infraction call that cost up 5 years and the game against Washington I think it was. Then the announcers went on to say how they pointed that out to the refs, about a flinch on the FG attempts. And sure enough LP does as usual, and squeezes the ball as all C's do before the snap, and they called the infraction.

Yes this will be pointed out.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The penalty issue with C. Williams was embarrassing. He could run block ok but got pushed around way too much in passing situations and his inability to stay in good leverage led to many of his holding calls. Good riddance.

So he had transformer shoes....cleats when run blocking, skates when pass blocking. :laugh:

conner01

Reaction score
CW isn’t gone because of the penalties
He was a FA
If he had another year on his contract he would still be here
He was just another guy who you don’t give second contracts to, just like many more on this roster will be
Guard is much easier than tackle but if you watch some of his penalties they came from bad technique and that’s why I’d love to see him spend this whole pre season just playing guard

Havic

Reaction score
Proper technique and hand placement will eliminate most of those penalties

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your OP must just be a 'dog whistle' to those wanting to be critical of the pick.

Voch made an excellent point, Smith played in the 5th ranked AAC team, he was obviously the most physical on the O-Line and as such Tulsa didnt bother developing his technique.....rather, telling him to get out there and use your strength.

You can't compare him with Connor Williams, a player with 4 years of NFL experience.
Not at all critical of the pick and I do compare him to Williams, Smith was better at Tulsa last year than Williams has been in 4 years in Dallas.

Most rookie OL are going to be a bit of a project but Williams was one that just didn’t pan out and neither has McGovern.

Creeper

Reaction score
The first round pick is coming in with the most unique challenge of any rookie player.

He is replacing a penalty machine, which is the main reason he is gone, with the same rep he got in college. He committed multiple penalties when facing better DL on better teams.

I do not recall another situation like this and while he has the customary challenge of playing NFL OL as a rookie, he has baggage he must unpack or the fans are going to be on him as they were Williams.

The strength of Smith’s game is aggression and power which are going to exacerbate his challenge to try and play a clean game. I saw some video of his play at Tulsa and am not sure all of those penalties were justified but that doesn’t matter, he is a rookie with a rep coming in and that is an unique challenge.

This is also a challenge for the OL coaching staff because they failed to cure Williams and went so far to bench him.

When I watched his college games on video, he looked like he deserved all those holding calls and a bunch more, at least by NFL standards. He allows defenders to get into his chest a lot which leads to the grabbing and those wrestling moves. That will get called in the NFL. Maybe playing guard where a DT is coming right at him on every play he won't need to hold so much. But NFL DTs are pretty quick too, maybe as quick as most college DEs. The Cowboys don't seem to be concerned so we'll see what happens. Trevor Penning had 16 penalties his last season in college too. I suspect there are others who got flagged too much as well. I think Smith has the reputation because of his poor technique.

My concern is him having to improve his technique while learning to play inside. He could struggle early. We could see something like what Andrew Thomas did with the Giants. He was pretty loose his rookie season but got better his second year. The adjustment to NFL speed and power takes some guys a year or two to figure out.