Tyler Smith - Give us your scout report

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Connor Williams was “ kicked inside “ and the refs had holding # 52 on speed dial . Hopefully Philbin can coach some of the bad habits out of him . Learn from Zack Martin and Tyrone Smith , he might turn out to be just what the line needs. Large and nasty .
Connor Williams didn't have significant penalty issues until 2021.

Interesting Stat: 80% (12 of 15) penalties by CW happened in 4 games.

Reactions: BAT

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Once the word's out on a weakness.... the concern was that Philbin couldn't rectify it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was Allen the penalty machine in college that Smith was?`
Just because the scouting report is similar doesn't mean the outcome will be.
And Allen was a second round pick.

LA had 7 penalties in his first NFL season as a full time starter.

College defenders facing Tyler Smith would back off as the game progressed even if they had been having success against him.
- They got tired of being pummeled on every snap.
- They got an extra pummeling if they beat him.

That was the Erik Williams approach. He had 16 penalties 1 season in the NFL.
- Many of his penalties were early in games.
- By the 2nd quarter, defenders would get tired of being pummeled and start giving lackluster effort.
- Guys that wouldn't back off, suffered. Reggie White was crying on National TV at the end of the game where EW made headlines for dominating him.
- A couple of others ended up with broken legs.

I'll take the penalties if the player is dominating the majority of snaps.
- The problem with Connor Williams is that he was not dominating to offset his penalties.
- It's similar to CB Diggs last season. He was beaten for several big plays but he was racking up INTs at a very high rate.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once the word's out on a weakness.... the concern was that Philbin couldn't rectify it.
That type of holding didn't get called on Green Bay players.

Philbin has to adjust to the fact that Cowboys players get penalized more than Green Bay players.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
HIgh ceiling / Low floor

Boom or bust.

All in all I think he is a decent gamble but not what I would consider a good 1st rd pick. He could develop into that and he is young enough that he is still learning.
I would have liked him at pick 56.

Going to have to coach the penalties out of him as well as improve his pass blocking. Easier said than done but not impossible.

He at least has the potential to grow into an elite player which is what we need. He also has the potential to be a bust.

I think the real head scratcher was the Patriots' pick.

RonWashington

Reaction score
HIgh ceiling / Low floor

Boom or bust.

All in all I think he is a decent gamble but not what I would consider a good 1st rd pick. He could develop into that and he is young enough that he is still learning.
I would have liked him at pick 56.

Going to have to coach the penalties out of him as well as improve his pass blocking. Easier said than done but not impossible.

He at least has the potential to grow into an elite player which is what we need. He also has the potential to be a bust.

2021 was riddled with holding penalties and a significant one in the playoff game . The run game failed to generate anything for stretches of the season in large part due to the line but if you want to think 52 should have been “bought” back with a new contract that’s a minority opinion among people who follow the game .

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I get it. I do. The frustration with this team is well-earned. After decades of futility, they don't deserve a pass. Unlike you, I'm not completely convinced that it was the wrong choice for exactly the first reasons you mentioned. other than, I think he will contribute immediately at guard and potentially at a high level.

Like I said, I don't hate it. But I absolutely understand why some do.

First of all, thank you for the reasoned, courteous rebuttal. Not that common on this site.

To me it's fairly simple - if you're drafting for need, which obviously the Cowboys did, your first round pick should be an immediate or near immediate starter.
This guy is far too raw, has too many for-an-offensive-lineman problems and needs too much coaching to be that. I agree he will contribute immediately, if for no other reasons than he's going to get better mainly by playing and the Cowboys are short on o-line players.

But he won't be a starter (or shouldn't be) and a no. 24 overall pick should be more than a "contributor"...

Cowboyny

Reaction score
who's your source as you dodnt mention this pre-draft.
I'm sure we'll get the spin from the FO, when has Jerry admitted anything.
The danger of this Guard call me possible Tackle is that there's a distinct chance of falling between both stools.
Jerry stated it last night after the pick.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yes, Philbin made Steele into a a good player. He was very raw coming out of college.

FYI, Tyler Smith was my favorite player in this entire draft.

The others were Zion, Travis Jones and Jameson Williams.

Penning and Raiman are also incredibly raw. If a team is going to draft a raw OL, then might as well take the highest upside player.

Physically, Tyler Smith makes Raimann look like a middle school kid.
I think you, BAT and me were the only ones pushing Tyler Smith pre-draft. I would liked of traded back and still got him, but the Titans would of drafted him.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I just watched him some more. There's definitely some + power and pop to his game. I watched him against OSU and Houston who have decent pass rushers and once he got his hands on him it was over. I think he can be a pretty darn good LG if he can just clean up his technique.

That beind said, he does not appear to have the feet to be an above average NFL OT. His kick step and ability to match speed on the outside looks like he's laboring.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I just watched him some more. There's definitely some + power and pop to his game. I watched him against OSU and Houston who have decent pass rushers and once he got his hands on him it was over. I think he can be a pretty darn good LG if he can just clean up his technique.

That beind said, he does not appear to have the feet to be an above average NFL OT. His kick step and ability to match speed on the outside looks like he's laboring.

I would be thrilled if he worked out as the permanent guard with Zack Martin teaching him this position .

cnuball21

Reaction score
I would be thrilled if he worked out as the permanent guard with Zack Martin teaching him this position .

You just can't miss on a G in the first round...that's what bothers me about the pick.

If you're going to take 1 it needs to be a sure thing like Zion J. I think Smith CAN be a good LG but he's not a sure thing IMO.

Bizwah

Reaction score
LA had 7 penalties in his first NFL season as a full time starter.

College defenders facing Tyler Smith would back off as the game progressed even if they had been having success against him.
- They got tired of being pummeled on every snap.
- They got an extra pummeling if they beat him.

That was the Erik Williams approach. He had 16 penalties 1 season in the NFL.
- Many of his penalties were early in games.
- By the 2nd quarter, defenders would get tired of being pummeled and start giving lackluster effort.
- Guys that wouldn't back off, suffered. Reggie White was crying on National TV at the end of the game where EW made headlines for dominating him.
- A couple of others ended up with broken legs.

I'll take the penalties if the player is dominating the majority of snaps.
- The problem with Connor Williams is that he was not dominating to offset his penalties.
- It's similar to CB Diggs last season. He was beaten for several big plays but he was racking up INTs at a very high rate.
People forget how good Erik Williams was. He could've been the OL everyone says LA was. The car wreck changed him forever. I remember the broken legs too. I'll never forget the Eagle player that hit Aikman late. The next play Williams blocked down on him so hard, you could see the guy's legs buckle beneath him.

Penalties were acceptable with Williams. You knew there was a method to the madness. If we get something like that from Smith...it's a win. It's been a while since we had some "nasty" on the OL.

Now, I will say I didn't like the pick. But I can see the appeal.

cowboyec

Reaction score
long.
strong.
nasty.
very good player with the traits to develop and be better.
solid pick.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Smith has some absolutely dominant tape. I also think that he may forever be a Guard. How much does moving inside limit his exposure to penalties in pass protection ? He’s going to be a demon in the run game.

Last edited:

kevinhickey

Reaction score
Ironically, I think they're almost polar opposite players. Williams was technically sound, just had no power to play well at the NFL level w/out holding. Smith is strong as an ox, but has no idea what to do with his hands and feet.
Very good take on the two players.