Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

What do you guys think of battle?
Should Tyler stay at LG?
Any other thoughts?

I was impressed.

Could be a great battle for years to come

As far as should he stay? Next years OT draft should be strong. I think they should strongly consider prioritizing an LT if one they can get in range of one and keep Tyler at LG. I do think Tyler can be an elite LT, just as good as LG, but if they class is as strong as they say play into its strengths

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

What do you guys think of battle?
Should Tyler stay at LG?
Any other thoughts?

I was impressed.

tyler looked good. won most of the battles and neutralized Carter.

I watched it a second time and focused on Steele. He was worse than I initially thought. he has Zero lateral agility and movement, so he is going to get abused all year unless we plug somebody else or change protection scheme. I mean there were about 10 plays, that it didn't matter he was there, the defender just ran right by him and he couldn't even step to his side to slow him down. how Dak survived this game is beyond me. he should have been killed.

one thing I did notice about him, where Steele had success was when he got his hands on defender early. he has the strength to deal with DEs, but the DEs learned quickly, that they can quickly run around him and just keep about 3 feet distance from him, because he can't step to his side. neither right or left.

I counted 4 plays where he wasn't on an island and it helped. so not sure why we didn't give him help in those last series and left him on an island.

gtb1943

Reaction score
tyler looked good. won most of the battles and neutralized Carter.

I watched it a second time and focused on Steele. He was worse than I initially thought. he has Zero lateral agility and movement, so he is going to get abused all year unless we plug somebody else or change protection scheme. I mean there were about 5 plays, that it didn't matter he was there, the defender just ran right by him and he couldn't even step to his side to slow him down. how Dak survived this game is beyond me. he should have been killed.
I am beginning to wonder if he suffered permanent damage from that injury. I know it usually takes two full years to heal but he is such a statue now.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I am beginning to wonder if he suffered permanent damage from that injury. I know it usually takes two full years to heal but he is such a statue now.
well, it usually takes a year to really heal and get your agility back. he is less than one year removed from surgery. specially for a guy that big. he had much tougher time stepping to the left than moving to his right, which makes sense because of injury to his left knee. most of the time he whiffed was with the DE and a quick move to the inside. he just looked like he was standing still and his left leg wasn't moving at all in that direction. he tended to glide a bit and drag his left foot when he moved to the right.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Every time I keyed on the matchup Tyler was neutralizing him.
You always wonder when matchup after matchup ends the same way if one player just has the number of another. We will see in the next few years.
Look at how many pitchers in baseball are great against everybody but one or two. No reason for it; should not happen. But it does.

Ken

Reaction score
Carter being a Top 3T is why I ask do we keep Tyler at LG?
This, along with the Commanders DTs and Giants DTs is why they keep him there. Dak, as we saw, can deal with the pressure off the edge but no qb likes it up the middle.

Also, this is what they wanted to become...nastier up front. Problem is the running game hasn't followed the plan. Hopefully we get that figured out.

gtb1943

Reaction score
This, along with the Commanders DTs and Giants DTs is why they keep him there. Dak, as we saw, can deal with the pressure off the edge but no qb likes it up the middle.

Also, this is what they wanted to become...nastier up front. Problem is the running game hasn't followed the plan. Hopefully we get that figured out.
BP always said pressure up the middle negates the QB no matter how good he is. Brady looked the worse then that happened to him

Ken

Reaction score
I think the team fooled themselves into thinking he was going to be one of the exceptional ones that come almost all the way back in one year
I had confidence that they saw enough in him to give him that contract they gave him. Clearly they are not very bright.

I hate that we handed this guy 87 million and now we are wondering if he will get back to what he was...

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I wonder if it's just a cumulative effect of injury, surgery, recovery, intensive rehab, straight into camp, season.

I wonder if he could rest for say a month if he would come back looking more like himself. Having said that, he wasn't the niftiest lateral mover to begin with.

RandyOh

Reaction score
I wonder if it's just a cumulative effect of injury, surgery, recovery, intensive rehab, straight into camp, season.

I wonder if he could rest for say a month if he would come back looking more like himself. Having said that, he wasn't the niftiest lateral mover to begin with.
His pass protection was above average at best. He always got praise for his run blocking. Not his pass protection.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
That run play right before the Schoon no TD play had Pollard just cut to the outside a bit he would have scored and we wouldn't have to had dealt with the no TD call. I saw this live and was livid.

sbark

Reaction score
That run play right before the Schoon no TD play had Pollard just cut to the outside a bit he would have scored and we wouldn't have to had dealt with the no TD call. I saw this live and was livid.
Luepke makes that cut
As evidenced by his td run vrs Patriots