Video: Tyler Smith vs Jalen Carter

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
100% keep him at guard and hopefully re-sign Tryon to a team friendly 1 year deal based on playing incentives. Get a rock solid swing tackle and pick up another developmental tackle or 2 to get ready for 2025 season (Richards = another prospect). High pick should be spent on a center and cross our fingers that Steele plays better 2 years removed from injury.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tyler looked good. won most of the battles and neutralized Carter.

I watched it a second time and focused on Steele. He was worse than I initially thought. he has Zero lateral agility and movement, so he is going to get abused all year unless we plug somebody else or change protection scheme. I mean there were about 10 plays, that it didn't matter he was there, the defender just ran right by him and he couldn't even step to his side to slow him down. how Dak survived this game is beyond me. he should have been killed.

one thing I did notice about him, where Steele had success was when he got his hands on defender early. he has the strength to deal with DEs, but the DEs learned quickly, that they can quickly run around him and just keep about 3 feet distance from him, because he can't step to his side. neither right or left.

I counted 4 plays where he wasn't on an island and it helped. so not sure why we didn't give him help in those last series and left him on an island.
If Tyron and Edoga could stay healthy, then Edoga should start somewhere. Maybe at RT, although he is best at OG.

Creeper

Reaction score
tyler looked good. won most of the battles and neutralized Carter.

I watched it a second time and focused on Steele. He was worse than I initially thought. he has Zero lateral agility and movement, so he is going to get abused all year unless we plug somebody else or change protection scheme. I mean there were about 10 plays, that it didn't matter he was there, the defender just ran right by him and he couldn't even step to his side to slow him down. how Dak survived this game is beyond me. he should have been killed.

one thing I did notice about him, where Steele had success was when he got his hands on defender early. he has the strength to deal with DEs, but the DEs learned quickly, that they can quickly run around him and just keep about 3 feet distance from him, because he can't step to his side. neither right or left.

I counted 4 plays where he wasn't on an island and it helped. so not sure why we didn't give him help in those last series and left him on an island.
I saw the same thing. Steele struggles with lateral movement. I saw the same thing with Tyron Smith when he came back from his ankle injury a couple of years ago. I am optimistic that he can improve in this area with another year to recover from his knee surgery. But I still think the Eagles saw this on film and used quick moves inside and outside to beat him. He is going to need help against the better edge players.

Also, I did not see him get any real push run blocking. This is clearly much different than the pre-injury Steele.

Watch Steele in this video at the 50 second mark:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PFF had Jalen Carter graded higher 61 grade vs 56 grade. Neither was good. This was Tyler’s worst game.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I saw the same thing. Steele struggles with lateral movement. I saw the same thing with Tyron Smith when he came back from his ankle injury a couple of years ago. I am optimistic that he can improve in this area with another year to recover from his knee surgery. But I still think the Eagles saw this on film and used quick moves inside and outside to beat him. He is going to need help against the better edge players.

Also, I did not see him get any real push run blocking. This is clearly much different than the pre-injury Steele.

Watch Steele in this video at the 50 second mark:

yes, agreed. perhaps my clarification. he did better when he had his hands on the defender as opposed to trying to shadow him. didn't mean it to be necessarily great. he is not getting the power he needs from his lower body to drive the defender as yet and it is because of his knee.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Tyler should stay at LG where his potential is huge. We can draft another OT and see how it goes.
I know everybody wants to keep thinking we need to draft a first round guy to play left tackle I believe we probably have him here already there are dudes on this team that can be developed and I believe give a sean give Asim Richards more snaps out Asim richards more snaps out there.. Heck I don't know what they're gonna do with Terence Steele but they may need to put Richards out on the right tackle and see how he does because I don't know how else to get around the fact that other teams are gonna see this and they're gonna try to just send the whole rush from the right side...

So yes we need to probably leave Tyler at left guard but I believe there's some dudes on this team already gonna be in the works to be developed no need to go after a high draft pick at left tackle with no more guarantees than what we have on this team isn't better you know there's no guarantees in a draft right I don't care if you pick the dude number one overall..

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'd prioritize RT first, then LT.
They're not getting rid of Terrence Steele are you kidding me they just paid him they're gonna let him work through his issues and continue to heal each week and hopefully they can get him some help over there but he's the right tackle of the future he's here he's not going anywhere they're not gonna cut a guy they just signed..

That's up to the coaches really but maybe they can put Richards at it right tackle and use Terence Steele is the swing tackle if needed emergency guy but is there a guy on this team better than Terrence Steele just like I said is there one better than tyron Smith people trying to get rid of tyron tyron still one of the best graded tackles in the NFL when he plays the problem is he doesn't play a lot...

dreameaglegreen

Reaction score
I count 20 snaps on this reel. Carter was double teamed 8 times. Singled up 10. Stunted once and chipped by the back once. Smith had 1 great pancake block, and carter was credited with 1/2 sack on a play.

Great matchup that will be fun to watch in the coming years. It's been said on average, that players have their biggest jumps from their rookie year to their 2nd year.

Will be interesting to see how much better carter can be, but more so, it should benefit mazi who was projected to need a little more time to get up to speed.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Could be a great battle for years to come

As far as should he stay? Next years OT draft should be strong. I think they should strongly consider prioritizing an LT if one they can get in range of one and keep Tyler at LG. I do think Tyler can be an elite LT, just as good as LG, but if they class is as strong as they say play into its strengths
Exactly. If you can find a as good / better LT than Tyler in the draft, take him. It won't be easy, but possible. If not, find a top guard and kick Tyler out to LT.

IMO, Tyler is going to be an All-Pro contender no matter where he lines up, so we have the flexibility to find the best T or G in 2024.
:grin:

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Tyler did a nice job on passing Carter off on the man to his right on some of those plays, getting an effective double team on Carter. That is not something that comes easy to a lot of young guards. Looks like five years of epic Smith-Carter battles to come if they keep him at guard.