Tyron Crawford needs a paycut

Kingofholland

Reaction score
9 million a year seems high, but when you look at the fact there's 30+ des and 20+ dts paid more going into 2020 it looks much better. The Cowboys like his versatility and locker room leadership. He's also good run defender with some pass rush ability. Plus there's some uncertainty at de so holding on to him doesn't seem like a terrible idea even if its a few million more than his ideal contract.

John813

Reaction score
He needs to pass a physical first before any contract talks begin

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before but why has he not been asked to told to take a paycut.

His 9 million cap hit is much too high and has never produced at a level where he deserved that.

What makes the front office think he will this year.

At the very least he should take a 2.5 million pay cut.

With having to extend Dak, the front office needs to save anyway they can.

Another example of a guy that hasn't done his research on the salary cap.

Aside from that, they actually need Crawford this year with the way they are doing the RDE position with Aldon and Gregory. They need a fall back if these two guys don't work out.

Now some would have rather signed Griffin and be done with it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know this has been discussed before but why has he not been asked to told to take a paycut.

His 9 million cap hit is much too high and has never produced at a level where he deserved that.

What makes the front office think he will this year.

At the very least he should take a 2.5 million pay cut.

With having to extend Dak, the front office needs to save anyway they can.
The time hasn’t passed where he could be released or asked to take a pay cut

Cowboys22

Reaction score
This. Crawford said he would take a pay cut months ago. They probably want to see that he is healthy and needed before giving him some guaranteed money for the season.

That’s the deal I think. His deal currently allows him to be cut outright for a big cap savings and they don’t have to pay him a dime for quite some time now. His willingness to take a pay cut likely came with restructuring the deal in a manner that would make it harder to cut him. The fact that the team has as of yet refused, tells me they are holding the release him outright card in their back pocket. They first need to see where the DL is and decide whether or not he is needed. If it looks like he is needed, they will likely do something with his contract before they have to cut the first game check.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Could he even practice today if there were a no-contact mini camp? No. Could he practice in 7 weeks if camp were to start? I highly doubt it. He is done. Jerry is just giving a friend $9M.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Would you take a pay cut if asked. No.

He won’t take a cut. It wouldn’t hurt to ask but we may have to cut him. For some reason JJ or the coaches like him and has paid him for years now. I trust that MM will evaluate him. Or have Nolan do it, to see if he can play his position in the new scheme.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
  1. Because we don’t need the money. We have plenty of cap space with the team pretty much set for 2020.
  2. Because he is still one of our better D-linemen. He will either start at RDE or be in the regular rotation.
  3. The Cowboys gave him the contract. We don’t like players who don’t honor their contracts, so why is it okay for the team to want to cut a player’s contract when we are already under the cap?
Most won’t agree, but Crawford’s salary will have no impact on our team this year, so just drop it.

I agree but if you can reduce his cap hit this year without pushing the savings into future years, you will have more to carry over to next year which could really come in handy. I think the team will do something with him, it’s just not necessary to do it until you see where he and the whole DL is.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Aside from that, they actually need Crawford this year with the way they are doing the RDE position with Aldon and Gregory. They need a fall back if these two guys don't work out.

When you look at the depth chart at DT, it makes full sense to not worry about having to use Crawford there.

That being the case, and the idea that Griffen could probably be had for the same money....and Clowney would take a reduced deal at this point also....they should 100% dump Crawford and sign one of those two.

But as I said earlier in this post, the team simply overrates Crawfords ability and they dont appear to want to part ways.

At this point I'm hoping he doesn't eat up a roster spot at the expense of one of the younger guys who needs a year to develop.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
When you look at the depth chart at DT, it makes full sense to not worry about having to use Crawford there.

That being the case, and the idea that Griffen could probably be had for the same money....and Clowney would take a reduced deal at this point also....they should 100% dump Crawford and sign one of those two.

But as I said earlier in this post, the team simply overrates Crawfords ability and they dont appear to want to part ways.

At this point I'm hoping he doesn't eat up a roster spot at the expense of one of the younger guys who needs a year to develop.

Signing Griffin is a two year option and it means you are 100% giving up on Gregory.

I have no problem with taking a flyer this year on these 3 RDE's.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Signing Griffin is a two year option and it means you are 100% giving up on Gregory.

I have no problem with taking a flyer this year on these 3 RDE's.
Not really. How do you know he wants two years?

Also if they are using this designated rusher position as fifth DL type, Gregory fits much better there than as a RDE starter.

Now, its possible the two FA DE out there want more than a one year prove it deal, but they arent getting it...and they are going to have to settle at some point, so maybe the team will end up doing what I suggested later on, I just dont get that vibe.

Sydla

Reaction score
Remember when the homers said, oh it's no big deal, the Cowboys front office will restructure because they are smart and know it's not good business to have Crawford eating up over $9MM in cap space.

Still waiting............ it's looking like not only will Crawford play for that $9MM cap hit, he's going to likely be our starting RDE. Dig it.

Sydla

Reaction score

What's your point on the salary cap? You realize cutting Crawford, for example, would help our cap even more in 2021 than just letting him go into FA, right?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not really. How do you know he wants two years?

Also if they are using this designated rusher position as fifth DL type, Gregory fits much better there than as a RDE starter.

Now, its possible the two FA DE out there want more than a one year prove it deal, but they arent getting it...and they are going to have to settle at some point, so maybe the team will end up doing what I suggested later on, I just dont get that vibe.

Griffin is what 31? I see a year or two of quality play left. Which isn't going to help us fill the position long term.

Gregory would give us a longer term solution and a much cheaper one if it works out. Albeit lower odds. I think one year is to investigate that is worth it. And with Aldon and Crawford also at the position you are covering the bases as well as giving the position greater upside potential.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What's your point on the salary cap? You realize cutting Crawford, for example, would help our cap even more in 2021 than just letting him go into FA, right?

The point is we have 10 million in cap space this year and another 7 now with Frederick. Plenty of money.

So we don't need to cut Crawford for salary cap purposes. If he had done the research he would have known that.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
100% agree.

But I'd be a happy fan for a paycut.

Maybe we can turn him into a comp pick next year by allowing him to play out his last contract year.
that's the difference between NFL and NBA, MLB....the guaranteed contracts. and thus there is an inherent risk, they may not play to the level of the contract thus they get cut, or they play above it and thus they hold out. the only mechanisms in the NFL for salary adjustments....with that said, baseball and basketball are similar, lots of players get signed, you get value early on and in later years they don't/can't justify their contracts.....

is Crawford worth 9M, probably not, but given he is still on the roster and he was kept on the roster in the past tells you about what the coaches think of him. us fans, tend to look at stats and dollars and come to a value conclusion. I think if Crawford is kept with a 2.5-3.5M cut, then he has value to this team. he is a hardworking reliable versatile player with some position flexibility, (outside of his injury). he is never going to be spectacular, but his floor is also higher than most.

given the uncertain situation at DE, it won't hurt us to keep him around. at this point it won't make a difference. we are not hurting for cap, so why cut him so a few fans on here can scream happiness....makes no sense. right now we are throwing numbers at the DE position, everyone loves Aldon Smith, reality tells us he has been away for 5 years. what is he going to be like. Gregory, in, out, in out, in out, and reports are he is not as dedicated any longer. Anae...might be a rotational player and a rookie. Jelks, Jackson, etc. are bodies for camp, haven't shown much ability. will Crawford be better than these guys? not all, but if we keep 5 DE and he can be a DT, DE, with position flexibility, then we might go 9 instead of 10 on DL and keep a player at another position instead (deeper at WR, LB or CB)…..

and if some of these other players step up, then we can cut him before season starts and we lose nothing compared to cutting him now.....it makes no sense to cut him at this point.