Tyron Crawford needs a paycut

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would you take a pay cut if asked. No.

He won’t take a cut. It wouldn’t hurt to ask but we may have to cut him. For some reason JJ or the coaches like him and has paid him for years now. I trust that MM will evaluate him. Or have Nolan do it, to see if he can play his position in the new scheme.
Sure I would take a pay cut if saying no meant hAcing no income. And players have done it before. Doug Free, for example. Employment in the NFL is a different thing than other professions, and players are sometimes told they need to work with the team to preserve their roster spot.

Techsass

Reaction score
Tyrone is everybody's favorite whipping boy, but look what happened to our D last season when he wasn't here. (j/k)

kskboys

Reaction score
Because when a team asks for a paycut in the offseason, the agent is going to ask for guaranteed money for this season. They may want to see what they have in camp before they make that kind of decision.
And if McC can teach Trysten to play, he could be cut.

Trysten was drafted in the 2nd by us due to a freakishly quick first step. Maybe McC can utilize that trait.

kskboys

Reaction score
Also, can't we put a few pounds on Joe Jackson and use him inside? He's at 275, doesn't seem too much of a stretch.

kskboys

Reaction score
Tyrone is everybody's favorite whipping boy, but look what happened to our D last season when he wasn't here. (j/k)
Very solid player. We overpaid Craws because Jerry hates drafting DL, so when he finds one that's even decent, he jumps up and gives him a big salary so he can get back to drafting CB's and WR's and injured LB's!!!!!!

Tussinman

Reaction score
There’s no need to rush into things. Why not wait until the end of training camp. By then you know where Crawford’s level is at and what else we have at RDE.
I agree 100% and this is the answer to the question

cowboys get the $8 million in cap relief regardless if they cut him today or at the end of camp

The longer they wait the more leverage it gives them plus I don't even think he's even passed the physical yet so they don't even know if he's able to play/train

Cowboys hold all the leverage, in August it could be play for 3 million or be cut (no team is paying him top dollar especially post training camp)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree 100% and this is the answer to the question

cowboys get the $8 million in cap relief regardless if they cut him today or at the end of camp

The longer they wait the more leverage it gives them plus I don't even think he's even passed the physical yet so they don't even know if he's able to play/train

Cowboys hold all the leverage, in August it could be play for 3 million or be cut (no team is paying him top dollar especially post training camp)
Exactly. Fans don’t think through all of this the way teams do.

if they keep Crawford at his current price for the season, that would be the time to complain. Right now is not.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
This always makes me chuckle. Fans on the couch demanding these players take less than what they are owed on a contract and they have zero problems with it. but the second a player wants more money, he is evil and the devil. You can't have it both ways.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Because it's June 6th and there has been virtually no business being done the last 2 months.

Ah, breaker one-nine, this here's the Rubber Duck
You gotta copy on me, Pig Pen, c'mon?
Ah, yeah, 10-4, Pig Pen, fer shure, fer shure
By golly, it's clean clear to Flag Town, c'mon
Yeah, that's a big 10-4 there, Pig Pen
Yeah, we definitely got the front door, good buddy
Mercy sakes alive, looks like we got us a convoy
Was the dark of the moon on the sixth of June
In a Kenworth pullin' logs
Cab-over Pete with a reefer on
And a Jimmy haulin' hogs
We is headin' for bear on I-one-oh
'Bout a mile outta Shaky Town
I says, "Pig Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck
"And I'm about to put the hammer down"

glimmerman

Reaction score
Sure I would take a pay cut if saying no meant hAcing no income. And players have done it before. Doug Free, for example. Employment in the NFL is a different thing than other professions, and players are sometimes told they need to work with the team to preserve their roster spot.
He will need to test the market. There is a reason has been paid this long. Us as fans is one thing but coaches look at these players and the job they are supposed to be doing. He apparently has been doing what he is asked at a higher level than other options.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Griffin is what 31? I see a year or two of quality play left. Which isn't going to help us fill the position long term.

Gregory would give us a longer term solution and a much cheaper one if it works out. Albeit lower odds. I think one year is to investigate that is worth it. And with Aldon and Crawford also at the position you are covering the bases as well as giving the position greater upside potential.
I think this is where the team is going with it and I dont have much of an issue with it.

I'm not one of those who needs guarantees everywhere. Some people are going to need to come through in spots unexpected.

My position there was basically in response to the OP of Crawford and the pay cut....but if you're telling me I can have either Crawford or Griffen for the same money it's not even a comparison.

I have a difficult time recalling a single play Crawford has made in his career. Yeah he has made tackles, whatever...he isnt a difference maker....and very much like #54, he was extended prematurely and never lived up to his pay.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know this has been discussed before but why has he not been asked to told to take a paycut.

His 9 million cap hit is much too high and has never produced at a level where he deserved that.

What makes the front office think he will this year.

At the very least he should take a 2.5 million pay cut.

With having to extend Dak, the front office needs to save anyway they can.
How would you feel if random people posted on social media that you need a paycut??? I'll let the FO worry about that kinda stuff and just worry about my money. SMH!!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Very solid player. We overpaid Craws because Jerry hates drafting DL, so when he finds one that's even decent, he jumps up and gives him a big salary so he can get back to drafting CB's and WR's and injured LB's!!!!!!
You are still upset about our first two pics I see

Williamsboys

Reaction score
What's wrong with not over paying average players and finally learn a lesson?? What did Crawford ever do to earn so much money?? That really sticks in my Craw.

J12B

Reaction score
How would you feel if random people posted on social media that you need a paycut??? I'll let the FO worry about that kinda stuff and just worry about my money. SMH!!

How much money do you have in the bank?