Tyron Smith Leaves FA or Draft

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You re-sign Tyron because he will sign here on a hell of a lot cheaper deal than he is worth because he wants to stay here. You draft someone to replace him. He's one of the top 3 in the game and you can get him at a bargain. It's stupid financially not to.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Draft or trade or free agent a good one and let Tyron Smith be a backup where he could stay healthy enough to help if called upon.
I'm not sure a first year guy will be able to beat him out to the point where he's a backup if he's healthy. I get he's injured a lot, and it's a problem, but when he was on the field he was one of the best players on the OL. Why bench him to be a backup if he's better than a guy they bring in?

Now, if the rookie shows he's better, amazing, and no issue, but I think the more realistic scenario is that a drafted player comes up behind him in rotation the way Tyler Smith was kind of expected to do before he locked the guard spot.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Tyron is not a bad contract though. That's the wrong tree dog
You also get no real cap relief from cutting him. In fact I think you get the entire payout in dead money as he took a pay cut in his renegotiation. He also I think has two years left on that renegotiation unless I'm wrong and there's only a small savings from cutting him in the final year.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Kicks the can down the road of using a high draft pick on a OT unless Richards shows he can start.
I wouldn't want to use a high pick on an OT this year anyway. I'm looking for LB or DT early. Obviously I'd rather it be a QB but this organization is not smart enough to do that so I'll hope they can plug some holes on D.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Draft or trade or free agent a good one and let Tyron Smith be a backup where he could stay healthy enough to help if called upon.
If it was that easy. 8)

Also our cap is jacked up.

So getting TSmith under a new contract is gonna be a problem.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to use a high pick on an OT this year anyway. I'm looking for LB or DT early. Obviously I'd rather it be a QB but this organization is not smart enough to do that so I'll hope they can plug some holes on D.
Need RB1.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
we're signing the guys to mega contracts, and picking up scrubs off the street. that's the best we can do, but we're all in. I hope some washed-up vet needs a job.
Not a lot of cap to sign anyone.

We'll be lucky to keep Biadasz and Hankins.

I think Tyron is gonna leave. He can make $$$$ in FA. I'd take the money. 8)

zerofill

Reaction score
we're signing the guys to mega contracts, and picking up scrubs off the street. that's the best we can do, but we're all in. I hope some washed-up vet needs a job.
Jimmy built a team where the defense as an example, were on average just all very good players. We had Haley, Deion obviously... some were/became super stars...
But, I think Jimmy's goal was always to make sure you had really good players at every position.

Jerry likes to have super stars that can always put more eyes on Dallas. Jerry would take 3 mega contract stars, and forget the rest of the D.
Instead of trying to build an all around solid defense.

When you build in a way where everyone is good, but not mega talented... many of the good ones look like super stars.
Since they become a sum of their parts... versus a sum of a few cogs in the machine.

That is why he just sucks at building a team lol.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
He should retire and work on saving his back from a future spinal fusion and possible life long pain.

Last edited:

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Next year is a loss.

Cut these bad contracts, move on from Dak, and prepare for the following season.
It is the only move that makes sense. But they will 100% kick the can down the road and extend Dak.

HanD

Reaction score
Tyron was good compared to Steele. He had a great year and I'd bring him back for the right money. I have a feeling he wants to stay here. He took less his first contract and is loyal for the Jones helping him with family issues.

I do like the two drafts picks you mocked. Lb I might look at cooper or trotter if there due to Payton injuries and I'd go rb in the third after that. Jpj or Barton could start immediately at LG or c.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Then who is gonna carry the rock? Tony?

Having a good RB and no room to run will work great. Couple of years ago it was Zeke the problem and then this year it was all of the sudden the OL was the problem and not TP. Till the trenches get built on both sides, we are not going anywhere but where we are now. You can get a RB round 2 or 3 but they should not make the same mistake like in the second round last draft on passing up beefing up that OL.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I understand. I think he is worth a one year contract at 12-13 million and give him a shot. PFF ranked him 11th in pass blocking his rookie year. Guy has incredible tools. Watch some highlights.
Fans here in NY cannot wait until he is gone as he is never healthy. When he does play, he fails to live up to his draft status. My opinion watching his career, more like Collins than he is Tyron. Hasn’t improved much since he was drafted and always seems to be out of shape that leads to injuries

Creeper

Reaction score
Becton has been a flop in New York and he is injured a lot. Why replace Tyron with another guy with a history of injuries - and who isn't that good to begin with? This draft is deep in OTs. If they let Tyron go, then their best option is to draft a new LT knowing there will be growing pains. Or they can move Tyler outside and draft an interior lineman who can start day one at LG.

I still think defense is the priority, even if they have to play Bass at LG next year.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Jimmy built a team where the defense as an example, were on average just all very good players. We had Haley, Deion obviously... some were/became super stars...
But, I think Jimmy's goal was always to make sure you had really good players at every position.

Jerry likes to have super stars that can always put more eyes on Dallas. Jerry would take 3 mega contract stars, and forget the rest of the D.
Instead of trying to build an all around solid defense.

When you build in a way where everyone is good, but not mega talented... many of the good ones look like super stars.
Since they become a sum of their parts... versus a sum of a few cogs in the machine.

That is why he just sucks at building a team lol.
Jimmy built a defense when there was no salary cap. Different era...Can't compare the two..