CFZ Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, Jason Witten and DeMarcus Ware all deserved a better FO

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From 2011 when he was a rookie through about 2017 when he started getting those nagging injuries, Tyron Smith was my favorite Cowboys player. His dominance, athleticism and quiet commitment to excellence made him the kind of player we needed so much more of in Big D. I know Tyron’s injuries have made him a shell of what he was. Him moving on was not unexpected.

But seeing him sign with the jets tonight saddened me. Not just that he was leaving. But that we couldn’t have done more while he was here. Wish Tyron could have won a Ring. Wishing an all time great Cowboy all the best.

And after my sadness wears off, I can only shake my head when realizing we had 4 all time greats here for years - four guys who either are in or will be in the hallowed halls of Canton, Ohio - and were on teams that collectively won 4 wild card playoff games. Now that is even sadder than watching another HOFer in Ty Smith sail off to play for the jets.

The ineptness of this front office is beyond words. So I will just end this post with the same sadness I felt earlier this evening while thinking of all the wasted careers of some all time greats who deserved a better, more competent front office to surround them with enough to do better.

So long Tyron. You deserved better. Like Ware and Witten before you.

Last edited:

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
they got their money, and star status. Do we know if they even care if they get anything better? This is not the old NFL.
To be honest I agree. It's us who deserved better. Who make all this stuff possible. Yet we are ignored. Which would be okay if this FO would constantly give absolutely everything, try everything and make all the changes necessary (and make them WHEN they are necessary).

Heck I don't mind experiments every now and then. Of course a 4th pick QB can work when you got lucky. But then set a target date after four or five years and call it a day if it hasn't.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
From 2011 when he was a rookie through about 2017 when he started getting those nagging injuries, Tyron Smith was my favorite Cowboys player. His dominance, athleticism and quiet commitment to excellence made him the kind of player we needed so much more of in Big D. I know Tyron’s injuries have made him a shell of what he was. Him moving on was not unexpected.

But seeing him sign with the jets tonight saddened me. Not just that he was leaving. But that we couldn’t have done more while he was here. Wish Tyron could have won a Ring. Wishing an all time great Cowboy all the best.

And after my sadness wears off, I can only shake my head when realizing we had 4 all time greats here for years - four guys who either are are will be in the hallowed halls of Canton, Ohio - who were on teams that collectively won 4 wild card playoff games. Now that is even sadder than watching another HOFer in Ty Smith sail off to play for the jets.

The ineptness of this front office is beyond words. So I will just end this post with the same sadness I felt earlier this evening while thinking of all the wasted careers of some all time greats who deserved a better, more competent front office to surround them with enough to do better.

Great post Bob, as always.

SloMo_Joe

Reaction score

And after my sadness wears off, I can only shake my head when realizing we had 4 all time greats here for years - four guys who either are are will be in the hallowed halls of Canton, Ohio - who were on teams that collectively won 4 wild card playoff games. Now that is even sadder than watching another HOFer in Ty Smith sail off to play for the jets.

100% spot on. I would add Fredbeard to the list though. Before his illness, he was the best center in the league and was on course to be first ballot HOF.

plymkr

Reaction score
I agree with you Bob. What saddens me is in about 10 years we’re going to have several HOFers coming out of the 2007-present and as of today we only have 2 WC wins. How do you squander that much talent. How do you lose with a team that contains: Witten, Ware, Romo, Dez, T-New, Ratliff. I mean we had some talent that was just wasted. It sucks.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You left Romo off the list
I was just listing HOFers we’ve wasted.

The Cowboys currently have 20 players in the HOF and 5 non-players. I’m sure Tyron, Zack Martin and Jason Witten will be in the HOF at some point. If so, those guys will alll be the only Cowboys to not even play in a SB as a Cowboy. Ware did as a bronco.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The FO doesn’t know how to build a team, it’s all flash and no substance. They should build inside out, starting with the trenches. It is the complete opposite for the most part.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

giphy.gif

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
they got their money, and star status. Do we know if they even care if they get anything better? This is not the old NFL.
I think they definitely care if they retire without a Super Bowl. Obviously their priorities are different than the fans and they do care about financial security, but you can’t tell me anyone who puts their body on the line for so long doesn’t have a desire to win the ultimate prize.

Maybe not younger Cowboys fans, but I think all of us older fans view the legacy of the team as consistent Super Bowl championships, and wanted to see all of our favorites with a ring.

Last edited:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I think they definitely care if they retire without a Super Bowl. Obviously their priorities are different than the fans and they do care about financial security, but you can’t tell me anyone who puts their body on the line for so long doesn’t have a desire to win the ultimate prize.

Maybe not younger Cowboys fans, but I think all of us older fans view the legacy of the team has consistent Super Bowl championships, and wanted to see all of our favorites with a ring.
Maybe, but the new generation is all about the root of all evil. Us older fans' desire was and is the Super Bowl, their desire is the flash of cash and money status. you might find some who still want the big trophy but most will settle for the flash of cash. "get your money boi" you have "fans" in here saying that crap all the time.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Maybe, but the new generation is all about the root of all evil. Us older fans' desire was and is the Super Bowl, their desire is the flash of cash and money status. you might find some who still want the big trophy but most will settle for the flash of cash. "get your money boi" you have "fans" in here saying that crap all the time.
And to disprove that the younger generation of NFL players only cares about money, you don’t have to look much further than the Jones strategy. They seem to be the ones more concerned about money. They offer rock-bottom contracts, let the players come to them, instead of seeking the players. Supposedly that is enough with the Cowboys legacy but I don’t think the Jones realize that the younger players don’t look at the Cowboys Legacy these days as a winner. We’re viewed as soft, overrated, overhyped, dysfunctional Hollywood. I base that on comments from so many players that have left the franchise, and media people like Gronk. And the proof is in the pudding as far as free agency results. We get big names like Stephon Gilmore only because we trade for them, gone are the day when a guy liked Laroí Glover would sign for less.

Nexx

Reaction score
I was just listing HOFers we’ve wasted.

The Cowboys currently have 20 players in the HOF and 5 non-players. I’m sure Tyron, Zack Martin and Jason Witten will be in the HOF at some point. If so, those guys will alll be the only Cowboys to not even play in a SB as a Cowboy. Ware did as a bronco.
unfortunately QBs are judged off Super Bowls. Romo wins one and he's a hall of famer.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
And to disprove that the younger generation of NFL players only cares about money, you don’t have to look much further than the Jones strategy. They seem to be the ones more concerned about money. They offer rock-bottom contracts, let the players come to them, instead of seeking the players. Supposedly that is enough with the Cowboys legacy but I don’t think the Jones realize that the younger players don’t look at the Cowboys Legacy these days as a winner. We’re viewed as soft, overrated, overhyped, dysfunctional Hollywood. I base that on comments from so many players that have left the franchise, and media people like Gronk. And the proof is in the pudding as far as free agency results. We get big names like Stephon Gilmore only because we trade for them, gone are the day when a guy liked Laroí Glover would sign for less.
Yep, the only reason anyone comes to Dallas is for a last payday with no expectations. Dallas is Hollywood to them. Soft cupcake environment and easy money. The owner becomes your buddy.