CFZ Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, Jason Witten and DeMarcus Ware all deserved a better FO

Motorola

Reaction score
With the departure of Tyron Smith, Zack Martin and DeMarcus Lawrence become the longest-tenured players drafted by Dallas (2014). 2024 will be their 11th season with the Cowboys.
Next in order-
Dak Prescott, 2016 - entering 9th season
Jourdan Lewis, 2017 - 8th season coming up
Donavan Wilson, 2018 - 7th season*
* Three of Wilson's draft mates exited this past week -
Vander Esch, Gallup, and Armstrong Jr.

• One can also list Cooper Rush among the longest- tenured Cowboys players; signed as a UDFA following the 2017 draft, he's been with Dallas all of his previous 7 seasons, except for 6 months with the Giants from May through October 2020.

quickccc

Reaction score
From 2011 when he was a rookie through about 2017 when he started getting those nagging injuries, Tyron Smith was my favorite Cowboys player. His dominance, athleticism and quiet commitment to excellence made him the kind of player we needed so much more of in Big D. I know Tyron’s injuries have made him a shell of what he was. Him moving on was not unexpected.

But seeing him sign with the jets tonight saddened me. Not just that he was leaving. But that we couldn’t have done more while he was here. Wish Tyron could have won a Ring. Wishing an all time great Cowboy all the best.

And after my sadness wears off, I can only shake my head when realizing we had 4 all time greats here for years - four guys who either are in or will be in the hallowed halls of Canton, Ohio - and were on teams that collectively won 4 wild card playoff games. Now that is even sadder than watching another HOFer in Ty Smith sail off to play for the jets.

The ineptness of this front office is beyond words. So I will just end this post with the same sadness I felt earlier this evening while thinking of all the wasted careers of some all time greats who deserved a better, more competent front office to surround them with enough to do better.

So long Tyron. You deserved better. Like Ware and Witten before you.

and all could have been in/on worse teams, ownership.. organization.. and not receive near the endorsements and marketing that they had per Dallas Cowboys.

if Witten or Romo were on other teams such as Jets, .they would not even have a chance at a HOF candidacy.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
From 2011 when he was a rookie through about 2017 when he started getting those nagging injuries, Tyron Smith was my favorite Cowboys player. His dominance, athleticism and quiet commitment to excellence made him the kind of player we needed so much more of in Big D. I know Tyron’s injuries have made him a shell of what he was. Him moving on was not unexpected.

But seeing him sign with the jets tonight saddened me. Not just that he was leaving. But that we couldn’t have done more while he was here. Wish Tyron could have won a Ring. Wishing an all time great Cowboy all the best.

And after my sadness wears off, I can only shake my head when realizing we had 4 all time greats here for years - four guys who either are in or will be in the hallowed halls of Canton, Ohio - and were on teams that collectively won 4 wild card playoff games. Now that is even sadder than watching another HOFer in Ty Smith sail off to play for the jets.

The ineptness of this front office is beyond words. So I will just end this post with the same sadness I felt earlier this evening while thinking of all the wasted careers of some all time greats who deserved a better, more competent front office to surround them with enough to do better.

Cowboys are and will be my team but liking an old nemesis Andy Reid and the chiefs of the boys can’t deliver

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
To be honest I agree. It's us who deserved better. Who make all this stuff possible. Yet we are ignored. Which would be okay if this FO would constantly give absolutely everything, try everything and make all the changes necessary (and make them WHEN they are necessary).

Heck I don't mind experiments every now and then. Of course a 4th pick QB can work when you got lucky. But then set a target date after four or five years and call it a day if it hasn't.
Exactly, to heck with the players, ...at least they get paid for seeing this crap. The entire Cowboy fandom and fans who put money in the Jones' pockets deserve better. And Jerry just giving us the middle finger every year with his useless rhetoric and delusional projections.

Gambit

Reaction score
Each one of them could have left at any time.

You'll excuse me for not playing the finger violin for them.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They should build inside out, starting with the trenches. It is the complete opposite for the most part.

That’s not really true. They put a decent amount of high draft capital into the trenches. Off the top of my head, below are top 2 round draft picks for the trenches over the past 13 years:
Tyron Smith
Tyler Smith
Z Martin
Connor Williams
Schoonmaker (blocking TE)
Taco
Mazi
Trystin Hill
Micah Parsons
Tank Lawrence
Sam Williams
etc

Thats nearly half of their top picks draft capital that went towards the trenches. It’s not like they haven’t tried.

Last edited:

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I think we have had plenty of talent over the years….But in a sport where coaching matters is where we fell short. Sticking to long with garret….and now sticking to long with McCarthy after that dreadful loss last year.

The only coach that was able to do more with less for us was bill parcells.

J12B

Reaction score
Jason Witten was/is so over rated.

He was a good TE and the worst color analyst on Monday Night Football of all time.

Nothing more, nothing less.

bigE79

Reaction score

And Tony

Wildcat711

Reaction score
Jason Witten was/is so over rated.

He was a good TE and the worst color analyst on Monday Night Football of all time.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Nah.. Witten was a star.. he will go in the HOF.. absolutely no doubt.

Maybe you are remembering his last couple of seasons where he was pretty ordinary. Every time I saw him I would *groan* and think.. just stay retired Jason for gawds sakes.

J12B

Reaction score
Nah.. Witten was a star.. he will go in the HOF.. absolutely no doubt.

Maybe you are remembering his last couple of seasons where he was pretty ordinary. Every time I saw him I would *groan* and think.. just stay retired Jason for gawds sakes.
No way he gets into the HOF.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They all got paid very well....they'll be fine. Many other greats never won a SB. Marino, Watt, Earl Campbell etc.....and many mediocre players won some. It is what it is.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score

What about every player that ever played for Detrot and Buffalo?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
if they would have played harder for the love of the sport instead of money, maybe they would have won something. Yep, blame Jerry for making it a cupcake atmosphere where everybody is happy to get paid and that's it.

John813

Reaction score
No way he gets into the HOF.
The next TE below Witten has 273 less catches and 1200 less yards while only playing 35 less games. (Gates)
Kelce may pass him in yardage, 13,046 vs 11,348 but he's also flirted with retirement he's also 321 catches away.

Witten towards the end of his career was a plodder but still a plodder who could get open running a 6.0 40.

He's also tied for 3rd most catches in a NFL season with 110 catches. He was #1 till 2018 and Ertz broke it.
He's still #2 overall in a 16 game season

He wasn't a flashy te but he was a peak 2 way te in his prime.

I don't think he's a 1st ballot, but to say he's just a good te is serious recently bias