Tyrone Crawford

Plankton

Reaction score
Crawford is one of those guys who is hated because of his contract.

He's a lunch pail kind of player - he does the dirty work, and is a high effort player. He doesn't have the elite finishing burst to be a real factor off the edge, and lacks the size to not be worn down over time inside. What he is, though, is a useful player who plays with intensity, and is very assignment sound. He also can play three positions on the DL, and not embarrass himself at any of them.

He's a solid player that most teams would be able to find a role for. He's not a special player, and people think that his contract extension required him to be that.

diefree666

Reaction score
Crawford is one of those guys who is hated because of his contract.

He's a lunch pail kind of player - he does the dirty work, and is a high effort player. He doesn't have the elite finishing burst to be a real factor off the edge, and lacks the size to not be worn down over time inside. What he is, though, is a useful player who plays with intensity, and is very assignment sound. He also can play three positions on the DL, and not embarrass himself at any of them.

He's a solid player that most teams would be able to find a role for. He's not a special player, and people think that his contract extension required him to be that.
His contract extension PAID him as a special player and that is why so many hate that contract.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The way I look at it, the team could have kept a guy like Barry Church or Brandon Carr, if it weren’t for Crawford being overpaid as much as he is.

If I think about it in those terms,...... it’s pretty bad

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He's currently PFF's 26th ranked interior lineman with an above average 83.1 grade. Any of you All-22ers agree or disagree with that ranking and/or grading?

I can't even remember the terms of his contract, so don't know if his play this year is starting to justify it or not.

I think he has been pretty good the past two years. Maybe not $10m good but certainly $7-8m good.

He has the upper body strength to steer OL and shed. He lacks the quickness to be an elite pass rusher but he generates consistent pressure and has improved as a finisher. He is extremely productive given his limited snaps.

What I also like about him is his willingness to do the dirty work and do it well. He is routinely the pick and he routinely takes out multiple blockers. He has been instrumental in 3 or 4 of DLaw's sacks for example.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
He blocked The Field Goal in Washington. That was a HUGE momentum changer and he has had at least one tipped ball that lead to a INT. He's typically the guy who eats up the opposing o-line on stunts to free up Irving and Lawrence.

Shhhhh, paying attention is apparently a bad thing.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
He is finally in a position where he can just be free to play to his potential (a limited potential). When we needed him to be the #1 or #2 threat on the DL, he's not good enough to be that guy. Now that Lawrence and Irving have emerged, he is having success feeding off of them.

The problem comes down to paying your guys and also having enough spots in the rotation. We know Irving will be due a big payday eventually and it's arguable that he offers the same versatility that Crawford does, with more potential. You can keep everyone but can you justify paying all that money to two players who are in a rotation? I don't know...

Problem right now is that we still don't have an ideal 1Tech and a RDE. Lawrence is looking great a LDE so you don't want to move him there. Irving has shown some greatness from LDE as well and also inside.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I’m cutting him this Spring. Too much money for a guy whose ok at everything great at nothing
Again how is that his fault. He was drafted as DE, it was well documented when the team switched to a 4-3 he was not a 4-3 DE, he lacked the explosiveness to be pass rusher from the DE position. They switched him to a 3T, he showed promise, he had nagging injuries for two years and then the team had 0 DE that could play the run and rush the passer. So they asked him to play DE, he is what he is but he has been playing out of position going on 2 seasons.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
Again how is that his fault. He was drafted as DE, it was well documented when the team switched to a 4-3 he was not a 4-3 DE, he lacked the explosiveness to be pass rusher from the DE position. They switched him to a 3T, he showed promise, he had nagging injuries for two years and then the team had 0 DE that could play the run and rush the passer. So they asked him to play DE, he is what he is but he has been playing out of position going on 2 seasons.

It's his fault because if he would've dominated at any of the positions he would've stayed there. You don't see them moving Zach Martin when someone goes down and we know he would be a good tackle. I don't blame Crawford for getting paid but in no way has he made enough plays or stayed healthy enough in the last several years

jrumann59

Reaction score
It's his fault because if he would've dominated at any of the positions he would've stayed there. You don't see them moving Zach Martin when someone goes down and we know he would be a good tackle. I don't blame Crawford for getting paid but in no way has he made enough plays or stayed healthy enough in the last several years
We had better depth at the 3T last year and this year. He is 2-fer or whatever. He has position flex, Collins and Irving to an extent do not. Then throw in last years rotation of DE other than crawford, Mayowa, Hurt Lawrence, Suspended Gregory, and other stiffs.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The way I look at it, the team could have kept a guy like Barry Church or Brandon Carr, if it weren’t for Crawford being overpaid as much as he is.

If I think about it in those terms,...... it’s pretty bad
I didn't want to keep those players. The defense is not going to improve by being the same.

They changed to mostly 2-deep Safeties this year, but if they were still playing primarily single-high, Frazier would be a good replacement for Church in the box.

Lewis and Awuzie already look as good as Carr was in this defense and they'll continue to improve as Carr just gets older.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Steady player. Much better than many here think but I agree not a star. I've said for years that it takes four DL putting pressure to break the dam and allow significant numbers of sacks. Crawford is one of those guys who helps you do that. He could be a star but he's not. He's a very strong player who will help you in the run game and adds something to the pass rush even if not a star at it.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
That is not true at all......his contract paid him as a starter not a star........ special players at DT get 17m a year........TCrawford gets 1/2 of that...... he is the 32nd highest paid DT/DE

True to a certain extent.

First of all, pretty sure the salaries of DE's compared to DT are significantly higher. At the time he was resigned, I believe he was mainly considered a DT so his salary at the time was pretty high. It certainly was higher than average NFL starter at the position.

At this point he is underpaid, but the guy is a jack of all trades that does whatever the team asks him to do, regardless of whether it is in his best interest. There is something to be said about a guy that puts team above individual success. As others have said, he does a lot of little things that help make other guys look better. If it were me, I would try to get him to accept a cut in salary and if not I would consider letting him go. The guy they signed recently, Datone Jones, is kind of a poor man's version of Crawford. He is decent at a lot of things, not really great at any one. And he costs about 20% of what Crawford does.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
And as much as the term is overused, he is a RKG. I kind of like having standup guys on the team, and Crawford is definitely one of those.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point he is underpaid, but the guy is a jack of all trades that does whatever the team asks him to do, regardless of whether it is in his best interest. There is something to be said about a guy that puts team above individual success. As others have said, he does a lot of little things that help make other guys look better. If it were me, I would try to get him to accept a cut in salary and if not I would consider letting him go. The guy they signed recently, Datone Jones, is kind of a poor man's version of Crawford. He is decent at a lot of things, not really great at any one. And he costs about 20% of what Crawford does.

I think you meant overpaid.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
His contract is in the same ballpark as guys like Vinny Curry, Andre Branch and Jabaal sheard who are all good- not great DEs like Crawford.