U.S. Navy to build $3 Billion Stealth Destroyer

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Sounds like a bargin.

$3 Billion Stealth Destroyer To Carry Futuristic Rail Gun

stealth-destroyer.jpg

By 2014, the US Navy is planning to have a few $3 billion stealth destroyer ships at their disposal. The DDG-1000 will be able to sneak up coastlines undetected and will be able to devastate land targets with its futuristic rail gun.

The Associated Press reports that the stealth destroyer is being praised by the Pentagon as the “most advanced destroyer in history.” The ship will be used primarily in Asia but could also find itself in the Gulf region.

Adm. Jonathan Greenert, chief of naval operations, said:

“With its stealth, incredibly capable sonar system, strike capability and lower manning requirements – this is our future.”...

http://www.inquisitr.com/247205/3-billion-stealth-destroyer-to-carry-futuristic-rail-gun/

Doomsday101

Reaction score
In other news while building the stealth destroyer they forgot where the left it and are unable to locate it. :laugh2:

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
zrinkill;4582777 said:

As if genius knows exactly where to militarily spend 3 billion.

That's funny right there.....

I think it would be cool to have a stealth fleet. The Asia rim is getting pretty spooky w/ China these days.

China hasn't stopped spending militarily. Not the least bit of slow down from them. With all of the technology they have stolen from the US, you would think they would be the ones w/ a stealth destroyer and not us.

I get it...

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
It always fascinates me how many new and creative ways we continue to find to blow **** up.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Military is a necessity. To say otherwise is ignorant.

Look at South Korea. Their military is so weak that they cannot defend themselves against North Korea. The only reason North Korea doesn't declare all out war on South Korea is because the US and other countries would step in.

Iraq was going broke under Saddam Hussein, so what did he do? He invaded a rich country that couldn't defend itself. (Kuwait)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4582803 said:
Military is a necessity. To say otherwise is ignorant.

Look at South Korea. Their military is so weak that they cannot defend themselves against North Korea. The only reason North Korea doesn't declare all out war on South Korea is because the US and other countries would step in.

Iraq was going broke under Saddam Hussein, so what did he do? He invaded a rich country that couldn't defend itself. (Kuwait)

I agree. I would rather be head and shoulders above all others than not.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the money is going to be spent on the Military no matter what, I would rather it be spent in other areas.

I like the idea of the rail gun...just don't really see the need for a "stealth" destroyer.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4582812 said:
If the money is going to be spent on the Military no matter what, I would rather it be spent in other areas.

I like the idea of the rail gun...just don't really see the need for a "stealth" destroyer.

Remember the Philadelphia Experiment? ;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4582812 said:

Something to do with the earth being covered by 3/4 water

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
What does this bring to the table that a submarine can't do?

And the best lesson learned from the Iraq-Afghanistan conflict is that drones are the future.

Hint to Navy: build lots of cheaper radio-controlled drones.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4582812 said:

A stealth destroyer is all about not getting the destroyer destroyed. It makes perfect sense.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;4582821 said:
Something to do with the earth being covered by 3/4 water

We got stealth water craft...they are called submarines. Much easier to miss than a destroyer.

However even if you wanted a top of the water navy vessel to be stealth...let's do an air craft carrier with stealth fighters on board.

A stealth destroyer just seems silly. An aircraft carrier is a better arsenal IMO and if you want to be truly stealth for cheaper go with the submarine and develop stealth technology to evade sonar.

Just my two coppers. :D

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ninja;4582824 said:

And the best lesson learned from the Iraq-Afghanistan conflict is that drones are the future.

Ding Ding Ding.

As I noted in my post...if you are going to make a big above the water vessel stealth...make it a Air craft carrier and you could make some drones stealth and load the carrier with drones along with the other air craft.

Hell I am sure you could probably even find a way to incorporate a rail gun on an air craft carrier.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
What people do not realize is these things are being made to counter a very specific threat.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ninja;4582824 said:

Drones are part of the future not the only future.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
zrinkill;4582832 said:
What people do not realize is these things are being made to counter a very specific threat.
What might that be?