UDFA TE David Wells

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
According to Gil Brandt's ranking of UDFA, David Wells is the highest ranked signing for the Cowboys. Here's a Wells quote from an interview:

• Growing up in the Bay Area, my family were big 49er & Raider fans. I started out as a QB in high school, so I really followed players like Tom Brady & Peyton Manning. When I made the switch to TE, I watched a lot of film from Jason Witten. I try to mirror my game after the way he plays.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
scouts-notebook-043018-wells.jpg

Read

David Wells, TE, San Diego State, 6-6, 256
  • Lines up as an inline "Y" tight end. Doesn’t play like most college tight ends.
  • Has the strength to hold defensive linemen in place along the line. Physical player.
  • Will finish his block. Can get some movement along the edge. Position blocker on the second level.
  • Works well on the combo block. Can grab the edge in the running game.
  • Will stay in to pass block. Nice set and punch, keeps his feet active.
  • Plays with some initial quickness off the line.
  • Catches the ball well and then gets up the field. Takes him a little time to get going. Not the fastest. Will try and run over the tackle.
  • Can adjust to the ball over his head. Will find space to help his quarterback.
  • Can makes the contested catch. Doesn’t struggle with men on his back.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Be nice if he made up for that mistake by being a find.
I've wondered if the Cowboys screwed up Escobar. If he was drafted by a team that used him as a big WR ala Jimmy Graham instead of trying to make him into a legit blocker, would he have been at least moderately successful? One year he had 4 TDs on 9 total catches.

People claim they screwed up Chaz Green by trying to make him a Guard.

I know he failed to stick with other teams after the Cowboys but his confidence might have been shot by then.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
All I can say is I liked watching his tape. Wells is grown man blocking, plus he's decent at catching too. I think David Wells makes th team. (Off blocking alone)

He's a better blocker than Schultz technique wise too IMO.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
I've wondered if the Cowboys screwed up Escobar. If he was drafted by a team that used him as a big WR ala Jimmy Graham instead of trying to make him into a legit blocker, would he have been at least moderately successful? One year he had 4 TDs on 9 total catches.

People claim they screwed up Chaz Green by trying to make him a Guard.

I know he failed to stick with other teams after the Cowboys but his confidence might have been shot by then.
Doubtful. Esco's lack of burst, speed, and blocking ability were not going away.

dallasdave

Reaction score
According to Gil Brandt's ranking of UDFA, David Wells is the highest ranked signing for the Cowboys. Here's a Wells quote from an interview:

• Growing up in the Bay Area, my family were big 49er & Raider fans. I started out as a QB in high school, so I really followed players like Tom Brady & Peyton Manning. When I made the switch to TE, I watched a lot of film from Jason Witten. I try to mirror my game after the way he plays.
Hey, good list , thanks for posting fo rthe rest of the board.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
All I can say is I liked watching his tape. Wells is grown man blocking, plus he's decent at catching too. I think David Wells makes th team. (Off blocking alone)

If so then there's getting to be a traffic jam at TE. Wanting to see quality emerge but there's some huge shoes to fill.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/udfa-te-david-wells.402705/#post-8142791