UFC 100: Take Your Pick

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;2816048 said:
Holy Balls.
There is really no reason for a male age 14-50 not to see this.

Ill go w/ Lesnar over Mir. He wont get caught w/ anything and dominate

Alves over St. Pierre b/c I dont like him

and Henderson over Bisping for the same reason

Those are all my picks. I don't like St. Pierre either or Bisping. I think Henderson has too much experience for him. It wasn't that long ago that he was a contender on the Ultimate Fighter.

MrMom

Reaction score
TheCount;2816211 said:
That's one of the things I always found hilarious. They laughed about Kimbo because he was a freak show but then they go and give Lesnar a title shot?

It's one of the things holding them back from being completely legitimate in my eyes, they are still prone to putting on a spectacle if the dollars are there.

I agree. And I think it comes back to Dana White. He's mostly bad for the sport. He should take on a lesser role in public.

For example he's currently trashing Fedor and how it's ridiculous to call Fedor the best in the world, but I'm sure if they sign him tomorrow, Dana White is calling him the best in the business.

Or a couple of months back when he video blogged a response to a column and went on to cuss the writer out and got himself and the company into hot water.

Or when he actually challenged one of his own fighters to a fight.

You don't see other sport figure heads making fools of themselves like he does constantly. Take a cue from Goodell, Selig, Stern, Bettman and quit trying to throw yourself in the limelight. And at the least he should clean up the language. He comes off as an uneducated thug in interviews and press conferences.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Thiago (Pitbull) Alves knew two things would happen to him at the age of 25. He would get married and win a world title.

"Thank God the first one didn't happen," the fun-loving Brazilian said.

Alves, 25, gets his crack at the world championship when he takes on Canadian Georges St. Pierre in one of the co-features of UFC 100 on July 11 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

The powerful Brazilian welterweight, is widely seen as the No. 1 contender in the 170-pound division. He has won seven straight, a run whose recent victims include Josh Koscheck, former champion Matt Hughes, Karo (The Heat) Parisyan and Chris (Lights Out) Lytle.

UFC president Dana White, speaking prior to UFC 99 in Germany, called the Alves fight "probably the toughest fight of his (St. Pierre's) career."

At five foot nine, Alves is a rock-hard physical specimen packed with muscle. His standup skills are excellent, his kicks are vicious and he comes well-prepared from the American Top Team camp in south Florida where black belts and bad intentions are de rigeur.

He is also brimming with confidence as he prepared to meet the Montrealer, considered to be one of the best pound-for-pound mixed martial arts fighters on the planet.

Alves, no shrinking violet, likes his chances.

"It's my time," Alves told The Canadian Press. "I've been waiting for this my whole life. Things happen for the reason. This is the biggest show, the biggest UFC show ever.

"Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for GSP. I'm a big fan of his. He's great everywhere, but it's just my time. And I'm going to knock him out. I don't know how, I don't know what round but I know I'm going to knock him out."

Alves (22-4) has long thought a title was in his future.

"I knew since I started training (Muay Thai at 15), I knew that's what I wanted to do in my life, I was going to be a world champion at the age of 25 years old. Ten years ago I already knew that. And I believed it."

The marriage scenario at 25 came about because his parents wed at 25. But Alves - who clearly likes the ladies, "I love them all ... I don't discriminate," he once told an interviewer - now is focused solely on his fighting future. It's a high-risk, high-reward path that leads to the cage in Las Vegas where the Canadian awaits.

"Time has made it more clear for me that's what I'm supposed to do, that's my mission here - make history and I will make history at UFC 100."

So does St. Pierre (18-2) have holes in his game?

"Of course, everybody has holes," Alves says. "Nobody's perfect, just God. He (GSP) has his holes and everything. Not many but he's got holes and every time he makes a mistake, he's going to pay for it. And if doesn't make a mistake. I will make him make a mistake. And he's going to pay regardless."

Alves has the body to back up such talk. While his weight division is capped at 170 pounds, he only ever sees that when he weighs in the day before he fights. Alves normally walks around at 200 to 205 pounds - compared to 185 pounds for St. Pierre - and will probably weigh 195 when he steps into the cage against the Canadian some 29 hours after stepping on the scales.

Weight has been an issue at times for Alves, who last lost to Jon Fitch via TKO in June 2006. He failed to make weight against Hughes, blaming a sprained ankle that hampered his training. Alves was also suspended for eight months after being caught using a diuretic earlier in his career.

In the cage, the Brazilian has an excellent offence and prickly defence. He stuffed takedown attempts by both Hughes and Koscheck, another accomplished wrestler, at UFC 90.

Alves also lashed Koscheck with leg kicks. At times, they were just quick inside kicks intended to distract while he threw a punch. At other times, they were full-on hammer-like blows with Alves turning his hips and whipping his right leg onto the meat of Koscheck's thigh.

At one point, Alves almost scythed Koscheck off his feet with a kick.

"Most of my training partners, they don't like me to kick them," Alves said by way of understatement.

But while Alves administered punishment, he also absorbed a bit from Koscheck. And St. Pierre will bring more pain to the table.

At 28, the Canadian is a modern-day MMA machine, surrounded by a crew of elite coaches who continue to shape his game. A terrific athlete, St. Pierre is special for the way he puts together all aspects of martial arts, transitioning from wrestling to striking to the next skill.

Others may be better at one discipline. Few are better at putting a bucketful together.

St. Pierre's work ethic is also unparalleled.

Alves is undaunted, despite the formidable challenge that awaits. He truly believes destiny is on his side.

"I want that (title). I want it more than anybody. He doesn't want it more than me," he said.

"And not just for me, for my family in Brazil, for my family here, for my coaches. It's not just for me. Once I step in there, it's not just going to be me, I'm going to have an army behind me. It's going to be 300, 400, 500 guys with me in the Octagon, it's not just going to be just me and GSP. It's going to be GSP against an army, so he better be ready."

The metaphor is carefully chosen.

"I trained myself to fight an army," St. Pierre, repeating one of his common comments, said before beating Hughes at UFC 79. "One man will never break me."

Alves insists he is the one.

"You get in life what you ask for and I've been asking for this. I've been working really, really hard for this. So has he. He's a hard worker, he's a champion. Like I said, it's just my time, it's my time to shine and nobody's going to take away from it."

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alves vs GSP is gonna be off the chain.

Im interested in see'ing if GSP wants to stand.

Both guys have incredible kicking too.

kTXe

On To The Next One
Reaction score
GSP is going to dominate Alves (2nd round KO), officially cleaning out the welterweight division and setting up a catch-weight superfight with Anderson Silva. I can dream, can't I?

Lesnar has come so far since his first fight with Mir (which he was dominating until he got sloppy and got caught). He is the next big thing in the heavyweight division. An absolute freak. 3rd round KO via ground and pound.

I don't really know what to think about the Hendo-Bisping fight. I would love to see Henderson punk him, but I'm not so sure it will happen. But I will let my biases get in the way and say Hendo by split decision.

And I really like Paulo Thiago, but Jon Fitch is just a bit too much for him right now. Fitch by an easy unanimous decision.

BigWillie

Reaction score
Monster Heel;2816760 said:
Seems pretty close without research.

Kazushi Sakaraba of PRIDE FC fame was a pro wrestler before he blew up in Japanese MMA.

Bob Sapp got into wrestling before he did MMA and has dabbled in both since.

Ken Shamrock was a trained in pro wrestling way before he ever did MMA. Then he got big in MMA did wrestling and went back to MMA

Dan Severn did pro wrestling and MMA around the same time period.

And most recently Bobby Lashley's jumped from WWE to MMA.

Somewhat true and somewhat untrue at the same time.

Catch wrestling and 'shooting' are some of the origins of MMA. Catch wrestling submissions was one of the building blocks for even BJJ.

Do not get wrestling as you know it today confused with old style catch wrestling.

Sakuraba and Shamrock were catch and shoot fighters. Both styles of fighting are old style submission based fighting techniques.

You think of catch-wrestling, think of the old Bret Hart documentary when they show an old Stu Hart making young men cry in the 'Dungeon' while teaching them catch.

Catch wrestling is a terrific basis for any MMA fighter. Unfortunately, there just are not that many shoot fighters left in the states. Most of the true shoot fighters left are in Japan and use this as a basis for their pro wrestling experience which is why Japanese wrestling is so much more exciting.

Pancrase is built off of shootfighting. One of it's originators was Shamrock.

The only thing was, when Shamrock and Sakuraba learned these traits to be put to use there was no stage for them to really use them. Thus why they used them in professional wrestling.

But their training for pro wrestling was a background for MMA and what let them make such an easy transfer which such complete ground games.

------

But as far as my predictions for UFC 100 ..

Frank Mir - Save for the lucky punch, he takes this one. Lesnar brings insane punching power, but he has nowhere near the technique nor the skill in the standup. On the ground, Mir will tool him no matter if Lesnar is on top of him. But on the ground, Mir would tool 98% of all fighters in the sport. Unfortunately for Lesnar, submission defense is something built over many, many years. If Lesnar was smart, he would look into some BJJ tourneys where he can gain real experience rather than on a mat in Minnesota.

GSP - I give the fight about 2.5 seconds before it hits the ground. In those 2.5 seconds, Alves will likely throw off a blistering lead leg kick that lets GSP know he wants no part of the standup with Thiago. I am really interested to see if Alves takedown defense is really as good as he showed in the Koscheck fight. Although GSP is on another level from Kos, it was really interesting to see how much Alves had progressed in that department.

O/U on pounds that Alves shows up over weight is 3.5 -- bets?

Hendo - This fight is likely to bore the crap out of me. Reason being Hendo will likely take this to the ground and grind Bisping out for 3 rounds.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yes!

Its finally here! WOOOOOOOOO

I already got my part payed for in the pay per view. Can't wait for this!

Epic Pay-per-view

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
the kid 05;2838664 said:
no one will ever be able to discredit him for being funny. 'Page is a funny man.

Did you happen to catch Brown vs Faber 2?
That was an excellent fight..Faber would have had it if he hadn't have messed up BOTH of his hands..epic fight

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Whiskey Cowboy;2838903 said:
That was an excellent fight..Faber would have had it if he hadn't have messed up BOTH of his hands..epic fight
blah, blah, blah Mike Brown is better than Faber

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Whiskey Cowboy;2839004 said:
Shhh..why you gotta throw stats at me like that
cause it's not about WEC it's about UFC 100 and Frank Mir getting BROCK SMASHED! tonight.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Rampage;2839006 said:
cause it's not about WEC it's about UFC 100 and Frank Mir getting BROCK SMASHED! tonight.
:laugh2: We'll see about that...Im more anxious to see GSP get Ko'd..probably won't happen tho

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Whiskey Cowboy;2839008 said:
:laugh2: We'll see about that...Im more anxious to see GSP get Ko'd..probably won't happen tho
Frank Mir is overrated and is more cocky than ever after beating a worn out Big Nog who had the flu and a staph infection. now he thinks he's an "imposing striker" which will most likely be his downfall.

I just found out today that gsp has a messed up elbow(the right elbow)
http://i676.***BLOCKED***/albums/vv121/attackjap/GSPelbow.gif

and look at it in the pic from the weigh-ins yesterday
http://i676.***BLOCKED***/albums/vv121/attackjap/thumbnail_cropphp-1.jpg

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Rampage;2839009 said:
Frank Mir is overrated and is more cocky than ever after beating a worn out Big Nog who had the flu and a staph infection. now he thinks he's an "imposing striker" which will most likely be his downfall.

I just found out today that gsp has a messed up elbow(the right elbow)
http://i676.***BLOCKED***/albums/vv121/attackjap/GSPelbow.gif

and look at it in the pic from the weigh-ins yesterday
http://i676.***BLOCKED***/albums/vv121/attackjap/thumbnail_cropphp-1.jpg
Damn that really sucks for GSP..I hope it doest hurt him too much..that is the fight I have been looking forward too