Umpire was out of position

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Refs were brutal.
Him being way out of position is 100% true, he's not even in the screen before or during the play.

But the fact remains, Dak getting down, getting the ball spotted, and spiking it all in 14 seconds is touch and go. It was a foolish play call no matter what that ref was doing.
Moore called the qb draw because San Fran was lined up for sideline Defense. The appropriate play should have been for a pass into the endzone being the coverage was light.

All that talent on the offense & no tosses to the endzone w/only 14 seconds left.:huh:

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Perhaps this is ITT somewhere, but in the final 2 (or maybe 5) minutes, isn't the umpire supposed to be behind the defensive front (the LBers, if there are any on the field)? The umpire in this case was back behind the offense, where he's supposed to be prior to 2 or 5 minutes.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Perhaps this is ITT somewhere, but in the final 2 (or maybe 5) minutes, isn't the umpire supposed to be behind the defensive front (the LBers, if there are any on the field)? The umpire in this case was back behind the offense, where he's supposed to be prior to 2 or 5 minutes.
I think they changed it, but I can't remember.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I think they changed it, but I can't remember.
This is the most recent thing I can find, from PFT, 2015:

Previously, the umpire moved from behind the offensive line to a position behind the defensive line except during the final two minutes of the second and fourth quarters, and when the offensive had moved inside the five. Now, the umpire will be behind the defensive line only in the final two minutes of either half.

The NFL website just says "primarily in the offensive backfield...", and the most recent article on the subject is also from 2015 and mirrors the PFT notes above.

Last edited:
Reactions: G2

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Now THAT'S how you make another poster stand down. He's a try-hard that's used to that though, lol. Brings a tear to my eye as I recollect old times.

simpsons-daryl-strawberry.gif
:laugh:

When I was a youngster on the Internet, I would try to argue with doctors and lawyers on issues of medicine and law. I was arrogant, though I didn't want to admit it then. But I knew they had more knowledge in their areas of expertise than I did because as much as I read, I couldn't match their experience in their fields.

I don't care how well-read you are or how right you THINK you are, nothing compensates for experience other than experience.

I've since learned: don't argue with people who have experience in a field where I have none. And if you're going to engage them and disagree, at least be humble about it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
All officials are the same...I know pee wee refs and on up to refs that worked NCAA championships and SB.....they all make mistakes....it's part of the game. I remember losing a game in October of 2012 because of a blown call.....still hurts. Even the opposing coach apologized after the game.

I agree. All officials make mistakes. Heck, I've made plenty of them. :laugh: In fact, when we have our umpire meetings, one of the things they tell us is to be confident in your calls - even if you may be wrong. :laugh:

But ... that's not what I was arguing. My point is that when you're dealing with making split-second decisions on the field, on the court, or the diamond, a ref is not thinking about screwing a player or team over. He's generally focused on the game and making the best call he can.

Posters in this forum are saying the refs are "biased" against the Cowboys and are "fixing" games because they have it in for the Cowboys.

I'm using my experience as a baseball umpire to say that it is virtually impossible to carry the thought "I'm going to screw the Cowboys with this call" and concentrate on making the call. The brain doesn't work that way. That has never happened to me. And I've made favorable calls against coaches I can't stand. But that's a product of me being in the moment and focused on making the right call.

And every time I have this conversation and posters rebut what I'm saying, I ask "Have you ever umpired a sports event outside of children playing?" Those who say they have, I then ask them "Were you biased in making calls against teams/coaches/players you didn't like?"

Conveniently, they either never answer the question or change the subject. ;)

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Has little to do with what I believe and more to do with what I've EXPERIENCED, which puts me in a better position to comment on what is going through the minds of officials compared to someone who has not experienced officiating.

But you know what I'm talking about if you've had personal experience officiating.

If not, well, again my limited experience and insights into officiating beat NO EXPERIENCE any day.

Good day, sir.
Sure

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Geez the shoulda, coulda, woulda crowd really are whining about this. :facepalm: And what would've been next, the cowboys would play like a playoff game the next game and not embarrass us and win?

GB & Tampa only won by a FG in the previous matchups.
You should find a new team fake fan.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
GB & Tampa only won by a FG in the previous matchups.
You should find a new team fake fan.

Typical Dak Fan telling people to find a new team to follow when they don't like what they are hearing. Sorry I live in a Democracy and don't need some **** Follower of a Player on the team telling me to follow another team.