Under Our Noses...

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
...this team has morphed into the kind of team that can win on the road in the playoffs. Two tough RB's, stingy defense. Romo taking so many sacks wasn't just a product of the Giants' pass rush. It was an indicator that he trusts the defense and the running game now, and that he realizes he doesn't have to put up 300 yards for us to win.

Now if we can just keep Romo in the game.

Lingering image from last night: Choice taking a play that should have gone for a loss and stretching it into a first down. Awareness combined with sheer will is a very powerful thing.

superpunk

Reaction score
percyhoward;2495928 said:
...this team has morphed into the kind of team that can win on the road in the playoffs. Two tough RB's, stingy defense. Romo taking so many sacks wasn't just a product of the Giants' pass rush. It was an indicator that he trusts the defense and the running game now, and that he realizes he doesn't have to put up 300 yards for us to win.

Now if we can just keep Romo in the game.

Lingering image from last night: Choice taking a play that should have gone for a loss and stretching it into a first down. Awareness combined with sheer will is a very powerfull thing.
I think Garrett learned a thing or two from you. :)

When we ran that off tackle draw with Procter pulling on 2nd and 20, and then again the very next play on 3rd and 3 or whatever, I thought "Way to go, Garrett."

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Romo has to protect the football. Something he doesn't always do.

The simple fact is, Choice is a better natural runner than MB3.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The defense is playing lights out. Incredible. If the offense can get back on track then we will be unbeatable. And Garrett did call a better game. I do think he should have adapted to the defense faster. The first quarter was brutal.

RxMan

Reaction score
superpunk;2495933 said:

When we ran that off tackle draw with Procter pulling on 2nd and 20, and then again the very next play on 3rd and 3 or whatever, I thought "Way to go, Garrett."

Those were beautiful play calls. I'm not sure if the Giants had Tuck lined up over Procter, but even if they didn't those are nice calls. Pull your worst lineman and run away from their best. Who knew Proctor would also make great blocks in space. ;)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Right on, percy.

I love defense, so as fun as last year was, those 35-31 kind of wins wore me out. Teams that win like that almost invariably fail in the playoffs, unless maybe they have homefield throughout and play in a dome.

Before Romo got hurt, we scored so many points that the defense didn't have to be great. Like Wade said, the defense gained a lot of mental toughness when Romo was out because they realized that if they gave up 14 points, the game might be over. And that's carried forward since he got back.

It just looks like we're playing with a new toughness since the Tampa game. The pass rush is great, but our run D has been excellent, too. I don't know the stats, but we can't be giving up much of anything on the ground lately save that first Giants game when Brad gave them the ball about 10 times.

Everything is shaping up really well. It's a beautiful thing. :)

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
superpunk;2495933 said:

Microcosm of Garrett's season...

3rd quarter, we've got 3rd and 1 at their 47. Barber runs left behind Procter and Adams and loses a yard. We punt.

4th quarter (TD drive to seal the game). Garrett calls 6 runs--all to the right of the center. (Two get called back by penalties.) The last one, Choice blows through a hole created by Gurode and Davis for a 38-yard score.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I prefer a tight Defensive game to a high scoring game most of the time. The reason is simple. If the Defense is playing well enough to hold them, I have confidence they can stop a comeback. If it is a pinball game, I am scared out of my mind if they have the ball because we haven't stopped them all day.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2495987 said:
Right on, percy.

I love defense, so as fun as last year was, those 35-31 kind of wins wore me out. Teams that win like that almost invariably fail in the playoffs, unless maybe they have homefield throughout and play in a dome.

Before Romo got hurt, we scored so many points that the defense didn't have to be great. Like Wade said, the defense gained a lot of mental toughness when Romo was out because they realized that if they gave up 14 points, the game might be over. And that's carried forward since he got back.

It just looks like we're playing with a new toughness since the Tampa game. The pass rush is great, but our run D has been excellent, too. I don't know the stats, but we can't be giving up much of anything on the ground lately save that first Giants game when Brad gave them the ball about 10 times.

Very well said.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CaptainAmerica;2495939 said:
Romo has to protect the football. Something he doesn't always do.

The simple fact is, Choice is a better natural runner than MB3.

Romo did a good job of protecting the ball last night. He was hit more than ever, but he wasn't putting the ball on the ground like the Arizona game. He may have fumbled on the safety, but at least he knocked it out of bounds. Good presence of mind on his part.

Choice does look like a natural out there. His vision is quite impressive. He's not as fast as Felix, but he has enough speed. That's for sure.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2495987 said:

Yeah, our run D is fine as long as our offense isn't going 3-and-out on a regular basis. You mentioned what Wade said about how Romo's absence made the D have to play better. Another thing Wade said was that Romo was our best run-stopper (or words to that effect).

Last year, we finished 7th in rushing yards allowed. This year we were 8th before Romo got hurt, then fell to 17th, and now that Romo's been back for five games, we're back up to 7th. And the run D is really the key, as you know (and it seemed to be Madden's theme last night), because most QB's can't beat you without a running game.

The beauty of it on the offensive side, now, is that Romo knows he's got that running game with Choice. And yes, Choice, is a better runner than Barber.

I've got a good feeling about the future of this team--immediate or otherwise.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
percyhoward;2496071 said:
The beauty of it on the offensive side, now, is that Romo knows he's got that running game with Choice. And yes, Choice, is a better runner than Barber.

I've got a good feeling about the future of this team--immediate or otherwise.

Bombshell alert!

And I might want a little more evidence from the rook, but I'm pretty much with you. (But I think we were two of the ones skeptical of giving Barber that huge contract, right?)

superpunk

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2496258 said:
Bombshell alert!

And I might want a little more evidence from the rook, but I'm pretty much with you. (But I think we were two of the ones skeptical of giving Barber that huge contract, right?)
*raises hand*

it had less to do with Barber and more to do with the fact that we just drafted two pretty high round RBs, who definitely had talent. I thought we were preparing to move on. I guess it's for the best that that wasn't our intention.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I hate to bring this up, but when was the last time we complained about our SS? I've not seen much getting completed over the top of us on defense, maybe all the RW sucks talk was true.

Who knows, but if RW can somehow find a way to exist in this defense now that Wade has taken over, look out next year.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2496258 said:
Bombshell alert!

Nope, I actually loves me some Barber. I just think Choice is that good.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
jobberone;2495942 said:
The defense is playing lights out. Incredible. If the offense can get back on track then we will be unbeatable. And Garrett did call a better game. I do think he should have adapted to the defense faster. The first quarter was brutal.

The O made a bunch of mistakes though, I think it was more execution than anything. First drive, TO dropped the pass when he was wide open. THen we were moving the ball and we had the two sacks to take us out of FG range.

I though Garrett was pretty good last night.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clove;2496267 said:
I hate to bring this up, but when was the last time we complained about our SS? I've not seen much getting completed over the top of us on defense, maybe all the RW sucks talk was true.

Who knows, but if RW can somehow find a way to exist in this defense now that Wade has taken over, look out next year.

I think the emergence of our front seven as the best pass-rushing unit in the NFL has had a lot to do with that. It's not like Keith Davis is great in coverage.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2496021 said:
I prefer a tight Defensive game to a high scoring game most of the time. The reason is simple. If the Defense is playing well enough to hold them, I have confidence they can stop a comeback. If it is a pinball game, I am scared out of my mind if they have the ball because we haven't stopped them all day.

Personally, I prefer 35-0 type games to both those other kinds. I (and my heart) wouldn't mind seeing some more of those (with Dallas on the right end of the score, of course).

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
percyhoward;2495928 said:
...this team has morphed into the kind of team that can win on the road in the playoffs.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if they had managed to win on the road last week. That one still hurts.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
jimnabby;2496296 said:
I think the emergence of our front seven as the best pass-rushing unit in the NFL has had a lot to do with that. It's not like Keith Davis is great in coverage.
OTOH, you can say that because of the secondary, now we're getting to the QB alot easier. ;)