Underachieved or Overrated?

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Blocking out the noise, it's time to be honest with ourselves. Seriously, let's think about it:

Are the Cowboys really that good, stats aside? The Eye Test:

- Was this defense dominant at any time, or did they just have good stretches when they got turnovers in bunches?
- Was the pass rush ever truly dominant as all the pundits seem to say? They had a few stretches when the pass rush was impressive, but in November and December, how often did the Dee Line simply take over the game?
- Yes, the offense was impressive, at times, but just because Dak lead the league in TDs doesn't mean this offense was good all season, right?

Did the pundits and fans overrate this team (which I think happens often for Cowboys teams)?

Or were the players actually very good, and they just underachieved?

Or could both be true?

And for the coaches too:

Did McCarthy underachieve with this offensive roster?

Did Quinn underachieve this with this defensive roster?

ScalperX

Reaction score
I mean all you gotta do is look at how we performed against teams over 500. I will not get hyped for a Cowboys team until we beat winning football teams in a physical manner during the regular season. This year was fools gold.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I mean all you gotta do is look at how we performed against teams over 500. I will not get hyped for a Cowboys team until we beat winning football teams in a physical manner during the regular season. This year was fools gold.
Sounds like you're saying they were simply overrated most of the year then... Interesting.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Blocking out the noise, it's time to be honest with ourselves. Seriously, let's think about it:

Are the Cowboys really that good, stats aside? The Eye Test:

- Was this defense dominant at any time, or did they just have good stretches when they got turnovers in bunches?
- Was the pass rush ever truly dominant as all the pundits seem to say? They had a few stretches when the pass rush was impressive, but in November and December, how often did the Dee Line simply take over the game?
- Yes, the offense was impressive, at times, but just because Dak lead the league in TDs doesn't mean this offense was good all season, right?

Did the pundits and fans overrate this team (which I think happens often for Cowboys teams)?

Or were the players actually very good, and they just underachieved?

Or could both be true?

And for the coaches too:

Did McCarthy underachieve with this offensive roster?

Did Quinn underachieve this with this defensive roster?
Overrated to the core!
All those dog wins got folks goofy happy ya reality stinks but it is what it is!

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Jerry prefers his market to be easily fooled by stats & shiny wins against cupcakes. Kudos to you for understanding.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
They got put on a pedestal for their ability to beat up on cream puffs. Ended getting way overrated as a result.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Over-rated, and I saw it all season, especially the defense and the individual that handles the ball the most on offense. The Texas Coast offense Big Mike installed masked some of the deficiencies, until we had to play the big boy teams. When the O couldn't go, the undersized D got worn out and the flood gates opened.

Cydios

Reaction score
More overrated.. we did beat down lesser teams, but we're so 1 dimensional that every team who had a big oline, we lost to.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
So if this team is overrated, maybe we cut them a little slack. :)

Maybe they overachieved based on the quality of the players on the roster. Could it be that we were all just a bit too optimistic, especially given Quinn's and McCarthy's histories? :oops:

:starspin:

Sydla

Reaction score
Can you say both?

They underachieved today facing an inferior team.

But overall, anyone who thought they could threaten the 49ers or Ravens or even the Bills for a SB title were fools. In that sense, yeah, they were overrated.

But there is ZERO reason to not only lose today but actually get run off the field. That's about as clear an underachievement as the Cowboys have spit up in some time IMO.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
easy. Over rated...... we were not even close to being half competitive today. defense, offense. coaches. they drank their own koolaid. they thought, its Cowboys stadium and they show up and win. I have neve seen a team so unprepared.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Definitely overrated! It was all too easy to look at the blowout wins we had and believe we were good. But the teams we lost to this season tells you who the 2023 Dallas Cowboys were = frauds!!

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Wow, it's sad that a team can be overrated, yet still underachieve, consistently.

We've picked quite an organization to root for, Cowboys Nation.

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars."

Khalil Gibran

:flagwave: