Underrated part of the game

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
11 minutes to go and the Saints pick up a holding penalty that puts them in a 1st and 20.

An elite defense doesn't allow a team with a backup QB to get that first down. But we did. And allowed the Saints to basically chew 5-6 minutes off the clock.

I hate how we play defense at times in certain situations. I know, we are effective, but we are too conservative for our own good at times.

1st and 20, we give up 6 yards on a screen. Not bad. But then the next play is what drives me ******* crazy with Richard and Marinelli. We drop into our patented deep zone and give up an easy 8 yard pass to a TE with no one around him. That gives the Saints a manageable 3rd and 6.

We don't seem to challenge any short passes. We seem content to just sit back, give the completion and hope Smith, LVE, Lee or Thomas come up, make the tackle and we live to see another day. Good teams will exploit that and take the 6-7 yards and just work their way down the field against us.

Just a rant about a particular part of the game that frustrated me. You can't give up a first down in that situation. Just can't.

Sometimes they both bend AND break.

Sydla

Reaction score
The Cowboys defense gave up 12 points...

And this has really nothing to do with my point. I wasn't blaming the defense for the loss. I was pointing out a situation in the game where they failed.

Sydla

Reaction score
Pinning me down on important questions...lol
I told you what in had to say. I'm up 3 hrs later for work I don't have time to school you.

You schooled no one and bailed before responding to people that pointed out your bizarre arguments here.

For example, if all that matters is execution and the play call itself doesn't matter, then why did say that the team needs balance and a mix of runs and passes? When you say, it undermines your point because if what you say is true............... all that matters is execution, then why would a team need balance? They could call all runs or all passes and it shouldn't matter. Because as you said, the play call, the game plans don't matter. Only execution.

So why would the Cowboys need balance?

mrmojo

Reaction score
Saints last drive. Took over at 5:22 left, and got 2 first downs using up 3:43 of game time and 3 cowboy TOs. The defense finally made some plays to force a punt but the damage was done.