Understanding the NFL players' no-trade clause

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Then he probably is awful because you have a 2/3 chance of a first round QB being a bust. You then do it again in 2 years and then again in 2 years and then hopefully you have a Tua. However to get this Tua you burned several seasons and 3 first round picks, that is just the averages and it is why teams pay the QBs what they do because you need one of the 15 guys who can get you there and you know it will take on average 3 first round picks to get one.
This is true. However, the team would also have a 1/3 chance of hitting on that first round pick.

1 in 3 is better than what Dallas has now- if winning a championship is the goal.

Teams can be rebuilt quickly now.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If he's traded, he can pick the team He's going to if he's cut. He's got to clear waivers.
Understand this. Dak Prescott cannot be subject to waivers. Not now, nor at any point the rest of his NFL career. Why do fans simply make up stuff that is not true?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Understand this. Dak Prescott cannot be subject to waivers. Not now, nor at any point the rest of his NFL career. Why do fans simply make up stuff that is not true?
So we can have people with no life come in and explain it, thank you.

Adreme

Reaction score
17 games?

You believe Dak earned his 60m$ for Arizona? SF? Buffalo? It wasn’t just a half of football. It was some of the biggest games, the same stuff every year. And the only reason he looked better the second half was GB was running the clock out with prevent. And even then it was really only the 4th quarter. Weren’t they laying it on more in the 3rd quarter and Dak had little response?

Whats with the pedantry? “He’s not a year younger, he’s a year and a half younger”. “It wasn’t a full game, it was 2.5-3 quarters of a game of bad play.” That doesn’t further prove either argument.
The "pedantry" as you put it is using the most basic of math rules that you once again dishonestly argue (unless you think there are 8 months in a year which is a bigger concern). I think it was in preschool but at the very least in elementary school you are taught basic rounding rules which if you are given the number 1.66 and told to round it (hint that is a fairly precise difference in their ages at the time in question) you are taught to round to 2. no one says "that is basically 1" unless they are arguing dishonestly.

I believe, and so does the entire NFL, that over 17 games Dak was found to be the 2nd best QB in football. If you think there was a QB, other than Lamar, who had a better year I will wait. If you think there is a QB who had 17 great games I will say you did not watch them. Then again based on how you are describing the 3rd quarter of the Green Bay I am not sure you watched it either so I will give a brief recap of the first 3 quarters because you seem to have forgotten them (I kinda envy you to be honest). After Green Bay got up 27-0 (kinda similar to how Chargers got up 28-0 on Jacksonville after 4 INTs from Lawrence) Cowboys got a TD before half to make it 27-7 and get the ball first so not a great situation but workable if the defense can hold up. Cowboys get the ball and get a FG making it 27-10 and the defense gives up a meaty TD drive. Cowboys get the ball again and score a TD. Packers get the ball back and get another TD . Cowboys had turnover at the 41 and the Packers respond with their 3rd TD (but that Packers TD takes us into the 4th). So in the 3rd quarter the offense had 9 points. Dak had almost 100 yards passing (think it was 95 but I was trying to mental math it based on the play by play numbers so do not hold me to that).

Yes they were chaining TDs in the 4th but 9 points in a quarter is a very good quarter (10 if they make PAT). The fact that the defense was surrendering TD drives in a way that is historically bad does not make it the standard. To score 6 TDs in 7 drives is not really something you can expect to match. I cant find an example of a team winning after giving up 6 TDs in 7 drives. Again every single QB in the playoffs had a bad half. The ones that won the games were the ones whose defense was able to hold up when the offense started turning it around. The defenses that failed that test lost the games.

Adreme

Reaction score
This is true. However, the team would also have a 1/3 chance of hitting on that first round pick.

1 in 3 is better than what Dallas has now- if winning a championship is the goal.

Teams can be rebuilt quickly now.
Hitting in this case counts as a QB worse than Dak but possible to win with. You have to count QBs like Tua as a hit and he is not going to be in the top 10. You have to count Kyler Murray as a hit and again he aint making the top 10 either. They are guys you can certainly win with but you are still likely downgrading at the most important position and hoping to spend money to make up for it.

Proof

Reaction score
Players only have the illusion of leverage. Dallas can tell Dak that he is not getting a new contract, and they will bench him this year due to performance which will irreparably damage his future earnings with another team. Or, he can play nice now for a trade and get a new deal when his value will never be higher.

It’s just a matter of if Jerry would stoop to such a level
or he could collect 50 mil or whatever, w/ no injury risk and pick his next destination next year. he absolutely has leverage, and the majority of it.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Players only have the illusion of leverage. Dallas can tell Dak that he is not getting a new contract, and they will bench him this year due to performance which will irreparably damage his future earnings with another team. Or, he can play nice now for a trade and get a new deal when his value will never be higher.

No, they can't do that. It's not reasonable to bench him based on performance to do what you are saying. That won't hold up.

Creeper

Reaction score
Because another team is agreeing to his contract demands after his current team refused. So to get a better deal from another team, he waives the no-trade clause. It's not that hard..........
But he doesn't have to. He can play out his last year and still get the deal he wants from another team in 2025.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Benching Dak Prescott because he won’t settle for a contract for less than he thinks he deserves will not “irreparably damage his future earnings with another team”. It will not enhance Jerry Jones’ reputation in the eyes of players and their agents. He would be perceived as an owner that does not want to pay players what they’re worth. In addition, if the better QB is sitting while another QB is starting hardly solidifies the perception he wants to win. Many Cowboys fans question his commitment to winning. If fans already think it, now they’d be convinced of it. A ridiculous stunt like the one you’re suggesting is more stupid than petty. Not unlike many fans, apparently.
Play all of the starters in preseason games with Trey Lance at QB.

They'll win by huge margins vs the other team's 3rd string players and the fan/media hype will explode.

Dak's agent willl be callingn the Cowboys to ask for a trade...

Also, some team will buy into they hype and offer a premium pick for Trey Lance.

Win-Win