FEATURED *** Undrafted Rookie Free Agent Discussion Thread ***

Toro9

Reaction score
We really use the IR to protect young players
And I’m sure other teams do too
Some real mysterious injuries every year lol
Yeah, that happens when you have a fringe player who you don't want to put on waivers but he's gonna be out for a month anyway. And they get a lot of film room study in what is essentially a redshirt year.

Toro9

Reaction score
No kickers at all. The Rams picked up two UDFA kickers as they know they need to replace Matt Gay, who they lost in FA. The Cowboys don't seem too worried about the position though :confused:
That's weird, right? I am surprised they didn't take a QB as a UDFA but I'm astonished that they haven't brought in a rookie kicker.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
is this it? only 9 guys? where is the kicker or even a QB?
13. Plus there will be some players brought in for tryouts that are likely not on this list. That's how we've been doing QB some and probably how we'll do kicker, if we don't sign a vet outright.

offlimits

Reaction score
That's weird, right? I am surprised they didn't take a QB as a UDFA but I'm astonished that they haven't brought in a rookie kicker.
Agree. Thought for sure they would sign a couple of QBs for training camp arms.

Toro9

Reaction score
They don't want to hurt Dak feeling
Probably wouldn't hurt his feelings to sign a UDFA. I think he's mentally tougher than we give him credit for but if you were draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd... That might sting him. Anything else would be looked at as depth.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Probably wouldn't hurt his feelings to sign a UDFA. I think he's mentally tougher than we give him credit for but if you were draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd... That might sting him. Anything else would be looked at as depth.
I agree but it is crazy they are not even trying at least for training camp

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The Athletic had an interesting article on - West Florida WR David Durden

20th round draft pick by the Red Sox, looks like he played one season before opting for college football.

6'2" and 200 pounds, he ran a 4.46 40 at his pro day.

Cowboys allegedly considered drafting him at 244 ober Jalen Hunter. Scouts normally call UDFA or ask poistion coaches but they really wanted Duden and had McCarthy call him. Sean Payton also called him personally, and had brought him as one of their 30 visits. He chose Dallas since Denver drafted a WR (Marvin Mims) high and he liked his chances against the Cowboys draftee (Hunter).

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The Athletic had an interesting article on - West Florida WR David Durden

20th round draft pick by the Red Sox, looks like he played one season before opting for college football.

6'2" and 200 pounds, he ran a 4.46 40 at his pro day.

Cowboys allegedly considered drafting him at 244 ober Jalen Hunter. Scouts normally call UDFA or ask poistion coaches but they really wanted Duden and had McCarthy call him. Sean Payton also called him personally, and had brought him as one of their 30 visits. He chose Dallas since Denver drafted a WR (Marvin Mims) high and he liked his chances against the Cowboys draftee (Hunter).
He will have a good opportunity here to see the field. Looking forward to seeing him at OTAs and TC

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I gotta admit, I'm not the draftophile I was a few years ago, where'd I'd pore over the draft sites and know the names of the top 100 prospects. I got super busy during the recent COVID unpleasantness and so my last big draft study was 2019.

What I do now is study the candidates **after** they are drafted or signed by the Cowboys. And I am impressed by the job the scouting staff has done. They have been able to find 'those guys' nobody drafted and get them signed early. I've been impressed by the scouts since the Miles Austin days. Somehow they have consistently found these guys and brought them and coached them up. Cole Beasley was one of the more recent examples, along with Cooper Rush, who I am very glad Dallas resigned.

The draft is a crap shoot after you get past the 3rd round. And of course "can't miss" prospects in those first 3 rounds miss all the time. What people need to remember is the sheer size of the draft class and the fact that about 1/2 of the teams in this league have no real idea how to evaluate talent, and/or coach it up once they land it. A lot of very good college football players get drafted by NFL staffs that never coach them up to anywhere near their potential. They end up drafting a guy for a need, then try to make him fit their 'system'. Some guys get lucky after never doing anything for the team that drafted them, then they go to another team and 'catch fire'. That's often because the original team wasn't using them right.

The very first thing that has to happen is that the scout team and the coaching staff has to have a CRYSTAL CLEAR IDEA what system they are running and what kind of players they need to bring in and coach up in that system. The number of teams out there where there's disconnect somewhere between the owner-GM-coaching staff-scouting staff is probably well over 1/2 the league. So out of 32 teams maybe only 12-10 have any real idea what they're doing from the top down, from the owner to the scouting staff.

I've spent some time going over the available videos of the FA guys we've signed so far. I'm happy to report the Cowboys are indeed one of those 10-12 teams that know what they are doing.

The common perception of the general public is that there's a huge dropoff of talent in the NCAA CFB ranks after you get past the 100th prospect or so. Maybe in the olden days, but not anymore. Every class of draftees the pool is massive, and year sees deep talent at particular positions. After 7 rounds of drafting and maybe 24 OT's taken, is there really that much of a drop off between that 24th and 25th guy? Not if you have the right kind of coaching staff.

The big names, the top 10 prospects that go in the first 2 rounds at each position get all the national hoopla, the TV face time, etc. But after you get past the top 10 guys at each position you've entered the territory where the real hard work in scouting begins. And I've learned there a massive amount of undrafted talent out there if you know where to look, and know what you are looking FOR. You're not looking for instant starters in FA once the draft ends; you're looking for talent with certain abilities and skills that you know will benefit from a year or 2 of coaching in your system and then become contributors.

A lot of scouts are good at assessing the strengths/weaknesses of a prospect in a generalized sense. What a great scout can do is look at that prospect and 'see' that within the system his team is utilizing currently, how those strengths and weaknesses make him a good or bad prospect for HIS system.

Countless times I see players drafted who end up being wasted in a system they don't fit into. The GM and the scouts figured they could pound a square peg into a round hole; hey that guy's talented, he should be able to adjust! And it doesn't happen. One reason I'm optimistic about Dallas's past couple drafts is that I don't see our GM and scouts doing this any longer. The past 3 drafts have been slow and steady as she goes, no need for some extravagant, exotic maneuvering. They are finding people that fit into the system they have a clear idea of, and are coaching them up to play in it.

And that's the best case scenario.
Well said!

People dis my posts all the time because they read a news outlet that has players ranked in order...so without looking or much in-depth consideration, they automatically think it's a terrible idea...

Most of the experts are hung up on consensus ratings and media rankings...which mean little when it's all said and done.