Uneasy feeling about coaching?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet another mismanagement of the clock at the end of the half to go with last week at the end of the game and then there's last season. Anyone besides me wondering why none of those GB players seemed to be unhappy about McC getting canned? And he didn't get offers from other teams after 13 years as a HC?

But here is my uneasy feeling, the future. Kellen Moore and Dan Quinn are getting more light on them weekly and we know there will be 5-8 coaching changes this off season. One or worse, both of these coaches could be gone.

We know the owner/GM's criteria begins with his comfort level with a HC as he has admitted. A HC has to know his place in the organization and that is not in front of the GM when the cameras are rolling. McC knows that very well as his predecessor did.

Does the mistake of letting Sean Payton get away haunt the GM? Did he learn anything from that? It is always about the best HC for the future of the team.

I have seen enough in 3 games and an off season to form an opinion that Dan Quinn would be a better HC. This guy is all about making "next man up" more than a catch phrase. Are these backups great? No But do they play his concept of team defense? Yes. Definitely shades of that swarming D in 92/93 and I bet Johnson was smiling a lot at what he saw last night.

The story they told last night was that Quinn told the Joneses exactly what they had to do to "start" to fix the defense at all 3 levels. And they did just that. He didn't tell them players, just the types of players at the positions. With the exception of Parsons, who is at the top of the board with Quinn's influence and his recognition that Parsons could be his Bobby Wagner. Early on, he used Wagner a lot like he's using Parsons until he finally settled into that MLB role when they had the pieces around him.

Yes, it is early and yes, the team looks better than anticipated but it is just at these times crucial decisions about the future should be made. McC hired Nolan, the Joneses hired Quinn and then followed his advice about acquisitions in FA and the draft unlike I've ever seen with any new hire coach.

Maybe I am reading something into this but has he become The Mighty Quinn in their eyes and they do not want to let him get away? Could they do something out of character and fire a HC that takes them to the East crown in order to retain a better HC? I do not think paying him more gets him to stay, Quinn is on a quest.

Well, McC surely didn't do himself any favors at the end of the half and I see a lot of close games coming and I'd bet one of those poor decisions is going to cost the Cowboys a game. I believe it did last year.

BTW, did you see the QB throwing some love to the DC on that post game interview? Think Quinn might be winning over more than defensive players? He's always had that rep as a players' coach.

I do not want to lose him and McC? Yeah, I can get over him leaving quickly.

The dominoes falling are just too kismet to ignore. Hire McC, he hires Nolan, Quinn gets fired, Joneses fire Nolan, Joneses hire Quinn.........Joneses fire McC and promote Quinn?

Last edited:

bewp7

Reaction score
i think it is all about moore.

jerry seem to really want to develip the next great head coach of the cowboys and he try really hard with garrett.

i think he would fire mccarthy if it was him vs moore leaving for a head coach job. i dont think he would for quinn though.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

jerry seem to really want to develip the next great head coach of the cowboys and he try really hard with garrett.

i think he would fire mccarthy if it was him vs moore leaving for a head coach job. i dont think he would for quinn though.
I could see that because of who the owner/GM is and his ego.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All way too early to speculate or be concerned with it.

Moore has the offense on fire, but also has his brain farts.
Quinn has the defense playing well even with all the players being out.
MM, in the opinion of fans has brain farts too, had another clock mismanagement ordeal.

I will wait and see what happens the next game.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
BTW, did you see the QB throwing some love to the DC on that post game interview? Think Quinn might be winning over more than defensive players? He's always had that rep as a players' coach.

Of course Dak likes him. Does anyone think it's fun to throw 50 times, put up 31 points, lose, then have people blaming you for it? Meanwhile, you spent the entire game playing from behind because your defense couldn't stop a college team.

25-30 passes, 30 handoffs, and playing with a lead - and winning - is a lot more fun.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All way too early to speculate or be concerned with it.

Moore has the offense on fire, but also has his brain farts.
Quinn has the defense playing well even with all the players being out.
MM, in the opinion of fans has brain farts too, had another clock mismanagement ordeal.

I will wait and see what happens the next game.
Know what? I could not disagree with that first sentence more. That is exactly the problem with the management of this team. "We won't worry about that until we have to". In a case lie this, problem solving begins before the problem.

kuyyo_morro

Reaction score
Playoffs or some important game when we play a contender, these coaching gaffes will cost us. We will discuss all offseason about Mcarthy's boneheaded coaching decision to go/not go for a crucial 4th down or punt. Nothing new.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If anyone replaces MM (and he should) it’s going to be Moore. I am not, and never was a fan of Mike McCarthy. He’s done nothing to change my mind. He’s not an awful coach, he’s just not the future here. Moore is next and I’d take Quinn over MM as well. . . . .02.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If fans here were on the sideline calling a game they would **** themselves. Just enjoy what you have no control over.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I get your questions and they are legit. However, Quinn didn't excel in a HC role so maybe he is one of those guys who just wasn't ready or isn't cut out for it. I think you have to ponder that very hard even if you decide to part ways with MM.

I have said for a while that any candidate should tell the owners exactly where the weaknesses were and see how they react. If they don't like it, you shouldn't want to work for them. Having said that, I'm still amazed that they apparently agreed with Quinn's assessment & took action so kudos to them.

MM is making it easy for people to question him. Which is unfortunate in the sense that someone has helped transform the talent on the team, get them prepared each week and not using every little thing as an excuse. Most coaches would be getting rave reviews based on those "good" things.

Reactions: BAT

Mark

Reaction score
As one TV wag put it this morning, the Cowboys simply need a "head coach that can tell time." Not call plays, not create defensive schemes...just be able to tell time.

quickccc

Reaction score

I think Jerry is gonna push McCarthy into " retirement " and turn around to anoint young Kellen as new Cowboys HC.
Why would Jerry allow Kellen to walk, and force Dak to to have to re-learn an entire new offense ?
Plus there doesn't seem to be nuthin' really special about McCarthy to have to keep him here as HC here.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I agree that we are going to lose one/both of Kellen and Quinn soon, and I am no fan of McCarthy either. To me, the question is which coordinator do you make the HC offer to? Quinn seems to have a better personality for it than Moore, but his HC tenure in Atlanta didn't work out and he received plenty of opportunities.

Truthfully, I think both men are better suited to be coordinators. But this is the NFL and no coordinator going to pass up a HC promotion unless the job is toxic.

Last edited:
Reactions: BAT

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Yet another mismanagement of the clock at the end of the half to go with last week at the end of the game and then there's last season. Anyone besides me wondering why none of those GB players seemed to be unhappy about McC getting canned? And he didn't get offers from other teams after 13 years as a HC?

But here is my uneasy feeling, the future. Kellen Moore and Dan Quinn are getting more light on them weekly and we know there will be 5-8 coaching changes this off season. One or worse, both of these coaches could be gone.

We know the owner/GM's criteria begins with his comfort level with a HC as he has admitted. A HC has to know his place in the organization and that is not in front of the GM when the cameras are rolling. McC knows that very well as his predecessor did.

Does the mistake of letting Sean Payton get away haunt the GM? Did he learn anything from that? It is always about the best HC for the future of the team.

I have seen enough in 3 games and an off season to form an opinion that Dan Quinn would be a better HC. This guy is all about making "next man up" more than a catch phrase. Are these backups great? No But do they play his concept of team defense? Yes. Definitely shades of that swarming D in 92/93 and I bet Johnson was smiling a lot at what he saw last night.

The story they told last night was that Quinn told the Joneses exactly what they had to do to "start" to fix the defense at all 3 levels. And they did just that. He didn't tell them players, just the types of players at the positions. With the exception of Parsons, who is at the top of the board with Quinn's influence and his recognition that Parsons could be his Bobby Wagner. Early on, he used Wagner a lot like he's using Parsons until he finally settled into that MLB role when they had the pieces around him.

Yes, it is early and yes, the team looks better than anticipated but it is just at these times crucial decisions about the future should be made. McC hired Nolan, the Joneses hired Quinn and then followed his advice about acquisitions in FA and the draft unlike I've ever seen with any new hire coach.

Maybe I am reading something into this but has he become The Mighty Quinn in their eyes and they do not want to let him get away? Could they do something out of character and fire a HC that takes them to the East crown in order to retain a better HC? I do not think paying him more gets him to stay, Quinn is on a quest.

Well, McC surely didn't do himself any favors at the end of the half and I see a lot of close games coming and I'd bet one of those poor decisions is going to cost the Cowboys a game. I believe it did last year.

I do not want to lose him and McC? Yeah, I can get over him leaving quickly.

The dominoes falling are just to kismet to ignore. Hire McC, he hires Nolan, Quinn gets fired, Joneses fire Nolan, Joneses hire Quinn.........Joneses fire McC and promote Quinn?

I think Quinn is best as a coordinator, but I'm certain MM is not a good coach. Dak is really turning the corner as a top QB and Quinn has got these guys creating turnover, and it's covering up HC coaching problem.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
When you have pieces on offense and defense, it is easier to look good as a coach or coordinator.

McCarthy has had some head scratching time management instances this year. Some were judgement calls as to whether right or wrong. Same with all HCs, I guess.