Units of the team, better, worse or the same?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The whole offense is better because of the injuries and inexperience, last year. So...

The defensive front seven will be better. We just have to worry about our secondary. And we got two solid pieces in Diggs and Wilson. So two positions worry me right now.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Amazes me how quickly people have forgotten how bad McCarthy was as a head coach last year. The bizarre coaching decisions...the horrible special team calls.

Doesn't matter if you improved the entire roster as long as your head coach is a dope....and does stupid things. :popcorn:

And honestly....bringing in Ben Mcadoo is just asking for trouble.....looks like your undermining your offensive coordinator already. Way to kick off 2021....:thumbdown:

Blackrain

Reaction score
Provided Tyrons surgery fixed his problems and Collins is healthy . The whole team should be better . Their leader is back and they will play for him .

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Those little teams within the team, the units, the OL, DL, LB's, do you consider each one to be better, worse or the same as the previous season?

I see the QB, OL and TE's as better because of health, the RB's the same and the WR's better because it will be Lamb's soph year and Gallup's audition for a #1 spot.

This is a ride the offense team so that bodes well for them. They should have a top 5 O in yardage and top 8 in scoring.

It will be Moore's 3rd season and time for him to show he gets it in the RZ. It's time to shine.

ST's, I am going with unknown on this one.

I see the DL, LB's and CB's as better and the S's as the same unless the rookie is special. I do think this is going to be a bit of a work in progress as the season progresses but I think bringing in Quinn was the right move as he's already getting positive reviews from the players.

The man gets fired from his HC job because he didn't improve the D and lands as the DC on the team with the most publicized worst defense in the game. The opportunity for him is undeniable, he could be back in a HC job in 2022. He's going to have more light on him than any coach in the league. He could be "The Magic Quinn".

I think this front 7 is going to be a real improvement with an injection of new talent that will allow Quinn to do some things with his packaging that will help solidify the run D.

I think the assumption that some are making that nothing gets fixed in a season is incorrect. It is not as if there wasn't some good talent there already, it was just underutilized and began to lack confidence. I believe we're going to see a better coached defense with better speed and more fly to the ball than we've seen in some time.

Dare I say it? I am excited for this season and that hasn't happened in a long time. Managing our expectations is the name of the game but I cannot help myself, I am expecting some good things from this team. Not the SB but the NFCCG is not out of the question.

Ya know, that managing our expectations is all about not getting disappointed so we have the tendency to guard against that, I see that here all the time. "I am not buying again"!!!

Well, I am buying and that's not the same as being sold. I am doing some self-serve shopping and I do like what I see.

Here's the thing about optimism, and it took me years to grasp this, it is it's own reward. Optimism does not depend on the outcome, the destination, it's all about the journey.

Right now, in my frame of mind about this season, I am more content and happy than those already assuming it's going to be bad but you don't have to do that.

My friends, after the past 15 months we've endured, I am actively looking for every silver lining I can find, not Pollyanna mind you, I need some slivers of evidence but I can see that with this team.

Your Dallas Cowboys, 2021-22 NFC East Champs.

Good post! My views...

Qb. Better because of Dak
Rb. Worse because Zeke is sliding
Wr. Better a beastly group
TE. Better. DS is now a proven guy
OL. Better. Health plus the young guys getting better
DL. Better. Randy Gregory plus FAs plus the draft plus Gallimore
LB. Better. I bet the 2 lead dogs aren’t going to be the lead dogs anymore
CB. Better. I like Joseph and I really like YR 2 Diggs
S. Better. Woods being gone is a plus under any scenario
K Worse. The Leg is older.
ST. Better. YR 2 under Bones will be good.

plymkr

Reaction score
The one X-factor which could spoil this season is injuries again.

We’ll be watching closely how Dak has recovered and the effects of his gruesome ankle injury. Can we really expect him to play 17 games? And can the OL stay upright.

I’d argue these factors are our greatest concern even more than upgrading our defense which is pertinent only if we have our offense in tact.

It could turn out our biggest gaff this off season is not going after or drafting a more reliable backup QB.
I would throw in another X factor and that is coaching. Big Mac got a pass last year cuz of injuries and pandemic screwed up offseason. Now we'll see what kind of coach he is.

The 2 things I would like to see improvement on with the coaching is better game day management. So no going for it on 4th and 10 only down by one score in the 3rd quarter. Now injury issues played a role in those types of bad decisions so again I'll give MM the benefit of the doubt. The other main thing I want to see from MM is playing the kids if the kids are better then the veterans. Like not starting GG when Dalton wasn't getting it done or giving GG some playing time on a wasted season. Or not playing Wilson the full season. Put the best guy out there regardless of contract, draft status or false comfort in veterans. No more weird "analytics" BS, just play to win with your best players.

Big_D

Reaction score
I would throw in another X factor and that is coaching. Big Mac got a pass last year cuz of injuries and pandemic screwed up offseason. Now we'll see what kind of coach he is.

The 2 things I would like to see improvement on with the coaching is better game day management. So no going for it on 4th and 10 only down by one score in the 3rd quarter. Now injury issues played a role in those types of bad decisions so again I'll give MM the benefit of the doubt. The other main thing I want to see from MM is playing the kids if the kids are better then the veterans. Like not starting GG when Dalton wasn't getting it done or giving GG some playing time on a wasted season. Or not playing Wilson the full season. Put the best guy out there regardless of contract, draft status or false comfort in veterans. No more weird "analytics" BS, just play to win with your best players.

I really hope game management changes. But even in week 1 before injuries, he's going for it on 4th down in FG range. Lost by 3. We'll see how this season plays out but the gambles reached a ridiculous level and they were terrible every single time. Poorly called, poorly executed and they kept doing it.. and it kept failing miserably. Coaching needs to get much smarter and actually show some common sense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think offense and defense units will be better for me I'm waiting to see if they can come together as a team, when both sides of the ball pick each other up

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
QB - I’d have to say this is one of the few spots that could be considered worse than last year. My reasoning is based on this - Andy Dalton was a better veteran backup than what we have now.

RB - same. Possibly improved if offseason reports on Elliott and Pollard are true.

WR - should only improve with Lamb’s second year and Gallup in a contract year. There’s also the chance that Cooper could be playing elsewhere in 2022, so he should be highly motivated as well.

TE - Schultz was a huge surprise I an awful year and with Jarwin’s return this unit looks better.

The offensive line is always about starters sustained health.

Defensively, I think every aspect looks improved over last year, at every level.

Defensive line, linebackers, secondary, coaching, you name it. All signs point up on that side in my opinion. Not hard based on how bad things were last year. When the bar is set at the bottom, it’s easy to surpass expectations.

Special teams looks the same fur the most part. No better and no worse.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
QB - I’d have to say this is one of the few spots that could be considered worse than last year. My reasoning is based on this - Andy Dalton was a better veteran backup than what we have now.

RB - same. Possibly improved if offseason reports on Elliott and Pollard are true.

WR - should only improve with Lamb’s second year and Gallup in a contract year. There’s also the chance that Cooper could be playing elsewhere in 2022, so he should be highly motivated as well.

TE - Schultz was a huge surprise I an awful year and with Jarwin’s return this unit looks better.

The offensive line is always about starters sustained health.

Defensively, I think every aspect looks improved over last year, at every level.

Defensive line, linebackers, secondary, coaching, you name it. All signs point up on that side in my opinion. Not hard based on how bad things were last year. When the bar is set at the bottom, it’s easy to surpass expectations.

Special teams looks the same fur the most part. No better and no worse.

I agree for the most part but think the main key for offense is OL. OL will have a lot to do with the success of Zeke and Pollard, you have a 5 yard run with a 1 yard gain if RB is having to avoid defenders in the back field, we need holes to be opened and defenders out of our backfield and OL will have a lot to do with Dak getting time in the pocket and WR having the time to run routs and not be restrict to shorter routs because we can't protect. I think the key weapons are here but OL allows those weapons to have better success and consistency.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree for the most part but think the main key for offense is OL. OL will have a lot to do with the success of Zeke and Pollard, you have a 5 yard run with a 1 yard gain if RB is having to avoid defenders in the back field, we need holes to be opened and defenders out of out backfield and OL will have a lot to do with Dak getting time in the pocket and WR having the time to run routs and not be restrict to shorter routs because we can't protect. I think the key weapons are here but OL allows those weapons to have better success and consistency.

No doubt about that. And I think the quality and effectiveness of the OL is directly connected with their health.

I think the offensive line has to raise their level of play to get back to their formerly lofty status among the league's best. As good as they are, they're not all that great when it matters most, in short yardage and red zone. That's got to get better.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The whole offense is better because of the injuries and inexperience, last year. So...

The defensive front seven will be better. We just have to worry about our secondary. And we got two solid pieces in Diggs and Wilson. So two positions worry me right now.
Agree Oz. Dallas spent almost all of their draft picks on the D side of the ball. That's an improvement right off the bat.

Secondly, that high caliber offense will rank in the top 5. Dak has many weapons. It's up to Garrett Moore learning how to use it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No doubt about that. And I think the quality and effectiveness of the OL is directly connected with their health.

I think the offensive line has to raise their level of play to get back to their formerly lofty status among the league's best. As good as they are, they're not all that great when it matters most, in short yardage and red zone. That's got to get better.

True, I think play of OL will determine how good this offense will be. Really same with defense how they play up front in shutting down the run and be able to pressure the QB will go a long way in their improvement or not.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, I think play of OL will determine how good this offense will be. Really same with defense how they play up front in shutting down the run and be able to pressure the QB will go a long way in their improvement or not.

:hammer:

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yea, some of those early coaching decisions by Mikey were dumb. Perhaps dumbest we’ve ever seen. And then defended them with “ analytics “. He made Garrett look much smarter. And made us wonder if we’d made a step back in coaching overall.

And don’t expect to sit higher paid veterans for better younger talent on the bench. That makes coaching look even worse.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Here before the season and before TC I can say all units seem improved to me.

OFFENSE :

QB - good to have our starter back. Barring freak injury our offensive leader will continue to shine. A+

RB - I think Zeke will do better as relates to the OL and his motivation and carries will be split more with Pollard (last year Zeke got 83% of the carries). B+
TE - I expect to be outstanding A-

WR - Better. One more year with Gallup who will ball out with 2022 being a contract year. Coop is just good. CeeDee/Dal combo blooms A+

OL - the wild card. Obviously better with the All Pros/probowlers returning. Backups more experience. Biadasz will continue improving (soon an All Pro) B+
Kellen Moore - strives to get better. Motivated! Smart! We're lucky to have him. Top 5 OC A

DEFENSE:

DE - Gregory and Tank will get 16-20 sacks while pinching the runs inside consistently. Good backup/rotational players behind them B+
DT - We're stronger. Excited to see the big guy from Kentucky B
LB - Will be protected by a stronger DL with better scemes, training camp, increase in talent. A-
Safety - I think we'll be good in run support and passable in pass coverage B-
Corner/Slot - I really think we struggle here early and improve with experience. Great coaching a must here. The DL must get a push. C

Special Teams:

I think we'll be a good unit, we have a good coach. ST's is an effort thingy.

I am excited to see the product we put on the field. I expect to start the season 0-2 though and the whole season will be an uphill battle. I think 10-7 is realistic and we are a playoff team. WFT is our competition in the East, NY will challenge us, I think we can sweep Philthy. If we jell we can play with anyone in the league. As has been mentioned a lot lately this team MUST become mentally tough and be physically well conditioned Jimmy style (don't see the conditioning thing happening). Tired players become cowards !

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The coaching is a big ?, I agree. However, I do not think McC fired Nolan or hired Quinn and I think the message was delivered. If McC starts making those questionable in game calls, his replacements are already on the staff.

My problem was his calls but an even bigger problem was his lame defense of them. I understood what he was trying to do, win his guys over but his hiring of Nolan and keeping him prevented that from happening.

How many times have you seen a MLB ask the DC to dumb it down for them.....in the media? I knew we were in for a rough ride when that happened.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I think it will be the defense that determines how good the offense will be.

Health of the OL is definitely important. But if the defense can get a few more 3 and outs, force some turnovers and maybe score once in a while then I think it will free up the offense to be more efficient. Not trailing and being able to be unpredictable without having to take high risks will make the offense better. They know their defense will get them a few more touches per game and sometimes bail them out. They know they don't have to score every drive and can dictate the offense they way they want to run it without taking chances and they can better protect the ball.

Who cares if you have the no.1 offense?